70kms on skates!

ColinOldnCranky

70kms on skates!

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 20, 2012 1:20 pm

I bumped into our inline skater Dan aka inline-online again this morning, he heading south along the Como section of PSP, me heading into Perth.
He was trying for a new PB - 70kms. And unlicke me when I do real distance he was on the clock.

I reckon we both share a difficulty for distance and tiredness that is not such an issue with bikes - As you tire on a bike you may lose some finer points of technique and efficiency with the loss of fine-motor control. But you push on with gross motor control regardless. With Dan and with myself once that fine motor control has gone you keep on losing control and take a fall. In my case more often but with no serious consequences, in Dan's case I imagine that the falls would be less but the consequences wehn he doesn't would be ratyher painful.

Anyway Dan, if you read this, how about letting us know if you made the 70km (and if you got to your sons match of course).
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

inline_online

Re: 70kms on skates!

Postby inline_online » Sun May 20, 2012 3:32 pm

G'day Colin,

It was good to catch up to you today. By the time I saw you I needed a breather for a minute or two.

My final distance was 73.15km with an average speed of 22 km/hr. I was pretty damn happy with that effort as I not only smashed my previous PB by 23.15 km but I also increased my average speed by over 2 km/hr. :D

My circuit was 2 laps around the river (Narrows Bridge to Windan Bridge) then down the Kwinana PSP to Beeliar Drive. Then back to South Perth to see my boy play footy.
I passed some pretty friendly cyclists including one who let me draft behind him for a few km. He was slowing me down on the uphill areas of the PSP so I said goodbye and left him behind (he was not a full-on cyclist like you guys though, just a casual guy on a MTB).

Problem is, now I have to get a new PB. Maybe 100km is on the cards now. Hmmm, i'll have to think about that one for a bit.

I'm feeling pretty good but was glad to get to the footy oval and get the skates off. Now for a wee bit of gardening, cook dinner for the family and have a beer.

Say hi if you ever see me and we're going the same way. I'm the guy trying to break the land-speed record on inline skates :lol:

Cheers,
Dan
Powerslide R4 (3 x 125mm)
Seba Marathon (Two sets of frames: 4 x 110mm, 3 x 125mm)
Cannondale CAAD8

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun May 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Nice work Dan! I wondered if that was you this morning, I passed you just south of the Canning Bridge. And then I passed Colin just south of Narrows, before he got swamped by a pack of young teen cyclists :p It's hard to pass a 30m train on that stretch :|

inline_online

Postby inline_online » Sun May 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah, I saw those teen riders.
They were the friendliest bunch I have ever seen. Withoout fail, they all waved and said hello.
Good on them for getting out there.
Cannondale CAAD8

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun May 20, 2012 5:11 pm

If you want to go crazy on skates I know that we had a Japanese tourist on rollerblades do the Nullabor. Truckies talked about seeing something like a dying cockroach off in the heat haze, as you got closer and saw the thrashing arms and legs and worked out what it was it still defied belief. How can you carry enough water? Go crazy.

rumbling

Postby rumbling » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:55 pm

I'd like to ask Dan a question on skates. I am considering purchasing either the Fila M100 or the Bont semi-race.
The fila seems to be a more comfortable fit. What is your opinion on these two choices?

Thanks

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 am

rumbling wrote:I'd like to ask Dan a question on skates. I am considering purchasing either the Fila M100 or the Bont semi-race.
The fila seems to be a more comfortable fit. What is your opinion on these two choices?

Thanks
You may need to double up on your message and PM Dan as he doesn't get on here often.

If I see him and we slow down I will try and mention it but we only come across each other occasionally. His skates do have quite large wheels and, from memory, they are relatively hard. Soft get cut up easier. All wheels have a hardness (moh?) rating so you know what you are getting.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 am

I've inline skated on and off, like my riding never stunts, just boring old endurance :!: I never understood the pathetic disdain from boarders so for me it's cool to see inline embraced here. I skated a couple of time with the kids when they were starting out on bikes but found it hard keeping up. 20+ kmh averages on skates blow my mind, look forward to seeing you skaters out round the river

inline_online

Postby inline_online » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am

Hi rumbling,
I'll send you a PM.
Dan
Cannondale CAAD8

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am

I would say bonts, only because I use to make their boots.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2