The future of BNSW ?

ldrcycles

Re: The future of BNSW ?

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 22, 2012 7:29 pm

From what i'm reading here, Bicycle NSW seems to be exactly the same as Bicycle QLD, runs a couple of participation rides a year, has insurance for members and does sweet FA else. IMO rather than try and change the rubbish 'peak' bodies that currently exist, new bodies should be set up. If they are run properly, FOR the members, and concentrate on actually working for their members and for cycling, then they should be able to swallow up the stinky old bodies in short order.

Interesting to note that the 'peak' pistol shooting body in queensland operates in exactly the same way, the only reason to be a member is for insurance (which is available cheaper through any other body) it achieves virtually nothing for it's members, or the sport, in spite of the vast sums of government funding it receives.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Other bodies? Looks like Omar might be heading in that direction at the moment, which should prove interesting.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Other bodies? Looks like Omar might be heading in that direction at the moment, which should prove interesting.
Oh, goody Image

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue May 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Bfv, what is the goss eh? C'mon enquiring minds want to know!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 pm

After not looking very hard for Omar, I came across him via a couple of contacts on LinkedIn (being the professional that I am). Here is what his profile says he's doing:
Co-founder
Go! Alliance

February 2012 – Present (4 months) Australia

Go! Alliance is about building a network of organizations that seek to improve transport, travel and mobility options. Our goal is to enhance individual health, the health of our communities, our environment, our economy and create more livable towns and cities. We embrace all forms of alternatives - walking, cycling, motorbikes, public transport and motor vehicles - but seek a better balance in investment, implementation and approach.

We aim to mainstream, normalize and activate change through communications, programs, promotional events and influence. We are Australia-based but are looking for alliance partners globally to share information, strategies, experience and other forms of support - this is an alliance and a network for motivating and creating change in approach, priorities and behavior.

Official launch in March 2012.

I know he also loves cycling history and this also looks interesting:
Over the past couple of months I have been loosely associated with the planning of a re-enactment of the 1912 Military Dispatch Ride from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Last week Omar Khalifa, his wife Barbara & several others drove to Adelaide & have been doing a survey of the original route. Omar has detailed some of their adventure here on Sydney Cyclist.