Winter weight

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
GreyhoundCycle

Winter weight

Postby GreyhoundCycle » Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Remember watched a documentary a long time ago, it said human genetically pack on a few kilos in winter just like primitive response in many animals.

I have noticed I tend to gain 1-2 kilos in winter due to over eating and less exercise.

Have gained 1kg in the past three weeks due to rainy Melbourne weather and great cooking from wifey. Has anyone noticed the same???

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Winter weight

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:44 am

If I'm gaining weight, then it's obviously true. If I'm losing weight, then it's complete bunk.

HTFU chubby and start pedalling :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 am

Not only do I put on a few kilo's, I also want to sleep longer. Getting up in the dark and riding home in the dark is very sucky.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:

Bwwaaaaaaahhhhh !!! Love it BFV. :lol: :lol:

Sounds a bit like what our coach says when it's raining.........you won't desolve now get out there. Dark & cold.......pffft, that's what lights & jackets are for.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Ontherod

Postby Ontherod » Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 pm

GreyhoundCycle wrote:Remember watched a documentary a long time ago, it said human genetically pack on a few kilos in winter just like primitive response in many animals.

I have noticed I tend to gain 1-2 kilos in winter due to over eating and less exercise.

Have gained 1kg in the past three weeks due to rainy Melbourne weather and great cooking from wifey. Has anyone noticed the same???

Though I like to do exercise in winter while less in summer, I still get 2-3 kilos in winter, as I eat much much more in winter than in summer, in summer I only need little food but plenty of water and coffee.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 am

twizzle wrote:Not only do I put on a few kilo's, I also want to sleep longer. Getting up in the dark and riding home in the dark is very sucky.
Not only the dark, the cold also makes it harderto get out of bed. Though I've noticed the Canberra temps on the news, a few degrees colder than Bendigo, I should HTFU.

gabrielle260

Winter weight

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:06 am

I agree... Harder to get out of bed in the dark - we truly are diurnal animals!
I find my various aches and pains are worse in winter and therefore I take the occasional day off the bike.
In summer I feel more limber(?) or flexible or something.
Maybe, at 52, this is just the first signs of ageing.... Or maybe I should just HTFU???

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 am

yup - i seem to wake up early and jump out of bed in summer. now its hmmm - okay i have warm clothes. i can do this. there are no excuses (usually except slackness) and heavy rain. (just can't be bothered on those days any more).

heath/money/blah blah blah... i think the worst thing is taking 20 mins to get dressed with that many layers on. struggling to pull on overshoes etc. or maybe i'm just totally pathetic. :lol: Until i get outside and go anyway. Once i'm out its okay. its just psyching myself up to get there. I seem to need waaay more sleep than i do in summer. or maybe i'm woken by the cat deciding she wants under the blankets or on top of the blankets. although i just "feel the presence" of it hovering on the pillow, lift my arm up, let her crawl in and then flop off again almost unconsciously. You know its cold out when she wants to go from on top of the covers to underneath.

skull

Postby skull » Thu May 24, 2012 7:47 am

twizzle wrote:Not only do I put on a few kilo's, I also want to sleep longer. Getting up in the dark and riding home in the dark is very sucky.

I am suffering this at the moment.

In Hobart I had no issues getting up early but here in ACT I am finding a distinct lack of motivation to get out of bed and have been snoozing. Even when I am going to bed earlier the night before.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 24, 2012 9:29 am

Winter is excellent for losing weight; and I've lost 1.5kg in the last 3 weeks.
Your metabolic rate is slightly higher due to the cold, and you should feel more envigorated than on sultry hot summer days.

I experience more hunger pangs during winter when I don't drink enough water.
If slack I can also eat more of what is convenient - bread mainly, and pasta rice. But get this; an extra cup of cooked pasta or rice, or 2 pieces of toast slice bread equal the Calories in 8 cups of vegetables. Guess which fills you up more and has more nutrient value.

We need to keep the water going in during winter, because the air is drier outdoors, and in air conditioning.
One of my tricks for keeping the Calories down and getting satiated before I have too many is to have more soups of any base (chicken, beef, legumes, pumpkin, sweet potato) and vege. I make them in a 6 litre slow cooker, so it is easy as, and there's heaps for when I get home tired or late. For extra nutrition, I microwave a bowl of fresh vege and throw them in when I reheat. The fluid helps to warm and fill me more.

I also do oranges and apples with nuts during winter with a couple of glasses of water. The simple carb hit helps settle the sugar cravings for a lower Calorie count than most processed snacks.

The thing about genetically programmed to put on extra weight holds if
- you are lean prior to winter, as our predecessors were i.e. <=13% bodyfat for males and <=20% for females.
- like our predecessors, you have food scarcity during winter (rather than being able to drive to a grocery aisle dedicated to Tim Tams, potato chips, chocolate, and biscuits).

unavailablerequest
Location: stuck somewhere in a very small island, forever, i guess :(

Postby unavailablerequest » Thu May 24, 2012 10:06 am

i agree to certain extent because our body will tend to eat more to collect fats against the cold. however, it is still within one's will to prevent from happening which explains why some would lose weight instead. reasons could be wanna look good, health conscious, and many more hence, burning away what is left within us to keep ourselves warm resulting in weight lost
2014 Lynskey Peloton
2011 Cervelo RS - SOLD
2008 Avanti Corsa - SOLD

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 pm

I am 3 kilos lighter currently than my best weight over summer. But I am eating a little bit better, drinking less and riding further. Less frequent riding though.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

shann

Postby shann » Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Depends where you live; our Winters have excellent biking weather (17 degree mornings, 25-30 degree days), but the Summers are punishing, with many days above 40 degrees *and* the odd cyclone. I'm probably fatter in Summer.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Most people pack it on over the Christmas - New Year and Easter breaks, and don't burn it off again, according to research quoted in Matt Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight and that's what's responsible for the steady accumulation of adipose tissue as the general population ages.

That certainly fits with my experience.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sun May 27, 2012 9:12 pm

GreyhoundCycle wrote:Remember watched a documentary a long time ago, it said human genetically pack on a few kilos in winter just like primitive response in many animals.

Not really because I don't find your wife's cooking all that great. :D

But yes. 1 to 2 kilos up on my summer, riding lots and lots weight.

Tim

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 pm

I lose my longer ride strength in winter, dont ride as long and aim for faster sessions on the bike, build a lot of strength which is great. But I lose a lot of weight if I am not careful, sucks cause I dont really have a big appetite
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed May 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I reckon the body holds more water in summer, and at times, loses much more water due to sweating. I reckon my average weight this time of year is slightly lower, but I never see the lowest summer weight I'd get from a long ride on a hot day. My diet doesn't really change. Less ice cream maybe, and more coffee.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 30, 2012 2:12 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:

Bwwaaaaaaahhhhh !!! Love it BFV. :lol: :lol:
+100

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll think about this next time I'm feeling chubby
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

arand18

Postby arand18 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:04 pm

You only put on weight becouse you dont exercise the same as you do in summer and you eat more than you do in summer

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 am

I lost heaps of weight last winter, in fact probably the bulk of weight i lost.

However now that I'm thinner and feel the cold more, I'm finding the temptation of buying a nice warm, calorie high food for lunch at work a big temptation, like burgers or chiko rolls, but am not doing enough exercise to justify eating them.

Petee

Postby Petee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 pm

lol I am the opposite, I have lost a bunch of weight this winter, and I also have had less exercise due to injuries and bad weather. It seems to take half as much food to fill me up lately... I am 14 180cm 62kg

mylagogo

Postby mylagogo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 pm

The cold weather led to reduced people's movement. Fat accumulation