Metro Bus Behaviour

rangersac

Metro Bus Behaviour

Postby rangersac » Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 am

Long time reader, first time poster. Interested to hear other local opinions on Metro Bus driver behaviour with regard to cyclists. I do a regular commute from Snug to Hobart, usually into town via the outlet and returning through Bonnet Hill. Between Hobart and Kingston buses are generally very respectful of cyclists, however on the section of the Channel Highway between the Huntingfield roundabout and Snug I'd have to say that Metro buses are the worst vehicles on the road for giving adequate clearance (and there are plenty of other large semi-trailers and heavy trucks using this section of road). Anyone else experience similar problems around Hobart? I'm thinking a pointed letter to Metro might be in order...

iaintas

Re: Metro Bus Behaviour

Postby iaintas » Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 am

I had a Metro bus driver buzz me on sandy bay road, was about 6inches away from me, i made a formal complaint. all buses are fitted with forward facing cameras apparently so they can follow up fairly well i think.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Based on what I see regularly on the road, not specifically on the velocipede, my opinion is that they're generally at the lower end of the spectrum of driving care and skill, and definitely bottom of the barrel where attitude to everyone else trying to share the road with them is concerned.

Cheers
JM

LG

Postby LG » Sun May 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Most of my interactions with metro buses have been ok, with 1 close call on Davey St about 18months ago, but have found the drivers mostly courteous and accommodating. I regularly get overtaken on Tolosa St morning & evening without a drama so far. In general, metro bus drivers seem pretty good at not stopping across the intercity cycleway junctions, unlike a lot of car drivers.
LG = Low Gear

master6

Postby master6 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 pm

I understand that bus driving of this kind is pretty high up the occupational stress scale. Just thought I would throw this thought in to the mix; I'm not arguing with any of the previous posts.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am

@master6 makes a fair point with regard to bus driving, it's certainly not something that's high on my priority list to do. However I think there's a fair bit of difference in the driving attitude shown in urban areas (where in my experience it's pretty good) as opposed to the stretch of the Channel highway that I regularly transit. It's probably also not helped by the lack of regular riders on this particular bit of road. Bring on the Snug to Margate bicycle track!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Yeah I have seen them do some silly stuff. Mostly to do with squeezing past me only to stop to pickup/dropoff 50m down the road. I appreciate they are on a timetable but when I am doing 40 in a 50 zone they could just as easily wait.

In general though I think Metro is ok. I dont think there is an anti-bike culture or anything like that. But I have no doubt there are some anti bike drivers, who are only kept in check by being so easily identified.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

Reviving an old thread...

I just had a dangerously close shave with a Metro bus on Clarence street this morning. Haven't decided if I'll make a police report yet but it'll certainly result in an 'Angry from Howrah' letter to the company. 15cm off my right elbow at warp speed's just too close for comfort. Unfortunately I wasn't wearing the camera so I've got no proof, a lesson to be learnt there.

First time back on the bike after nearly 2 months away, too. Not an auspicious start.

Cheers
JM

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 pm

johnm_oz wrote: Haven't decided if I'll make a police report yet but it'll certainly result in an 'Angry from Howrah' letter to the company.
Make it a good one as they still give me the odd instantaneous heartbeat increase now and again.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket