BMI - All Its Cracked Up To Be?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
cp123

Re: BMI - All Its Cracked Up To Be?

Postby cp123 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 am

Are you David Hassellhoff off Baywatch? :lol:

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed May 23, 2012 2:00 pm

No...but I am tired of the assumptions taht I weigh a lot therefore I am fat. I still have weight to loose to reach what I would consider ideal, but as these pictures where the best closest I could find, you can see I am in better shape than most blokes. I am just really heavy. The nutritionist I saw told me my muscle mass was above average and this was part of the reason.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed May 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Well I found some pictures that were pretty close to me on the web - yep, I'm still overweight according to the BMI

This is the closest - the difference is that I generally carry a longer sword

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed May 23, 2012 10:07 pm

dynamictiger wrote:I
I don't own a digital camera or a mobile phone to take images with
Let's leave no excuse unturned: How about I mail you one of my cast-off
cameras/mobile phones, you take the photos, and mail the camera back to me
when you're done :lol:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 am

My body is similar to this, and BMI says we're both fat..... ha!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu May 24, 2012 7:55 am

Gawd, I hope those are photoshopped!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 am

paw pay - can you reach the handlebars over them things?

I dunno how that bird would put on shoes and socks.... :shock: :shock:

Comedian

BMI - All Its Cracked Up To Be?

Postby Comedian » Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 am

How is bmi affected by 4kg of silicone? :o

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 am

you really wonder if these people think they look hot like that... as opposed to freaks.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 pm

If she isn't shopped (and I honestly don't know), I'd say she made a decision to make as much money as she could out of being a freak, before she had them removed. I just cannot imagine she could lead a normal life. sitting behind the steering wheel of a car, on a bus plane etc, so much would be just too hard.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 pm

PawPaw wrote:If she isn't shopped (and I honestly don't know), I'd say she made a decision to make as much money as she could out of being a freak, before she had them removed. I just cannot imagine she could lead a normal life. sitting behind the steering wheel of a car, on a bus plane etc, so much would be just too hard.
Not me man, those things aren't making things too hard for me :?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 24, 2012 9:29 pm

She's got a nice smile...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 26, 2012 8:09 am

I think she has what is called, FUPS
Frontal
Underrun
Protection
System

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 am

dynamictiger wrote:I think there is confusion here, unintended. Yes I use specific example, my case, as it is my opnion there are many people like me. Contrary to what statistics may say.
"Despite what statistics say". Probably not a good way to argue a point. :)
dynamictiger wrote:At my fittest point at age 17 I weighed in at 110kgs. Yet BMI scale states I should be 85 kg maximum. Clearly there is an error in my case. Yet the proponents of BMI would have us believe it applies to all Caucasian males and anyone that does not fit this model is overweight.
Proponents of BMI would NOT have us believe it applies to all Causcasion males. Many here have already stated that it is NOT a tool for N=1.

If you believe that it is then all that you have to do is change this fundamental misunderstanding of yours. After that the question of whether you are fat or not is not of relevance to the thread that you started.

How many times does it have to be stated? Let's try again.
BMI is not a personal measurement tool, no matter how much those who fit into the "norm" like to pretend it is and how many times those that do feel compelled to draw attention to it's limits.
Anyway, you are either out of the norm (BMI-wise) or you are in serious denial.

Regardless you feel the need to defend yourself which seems to at least generate a broad range of conversation, But do not be crying if others then make judgements about it as you are the one who seems to be desperate for us to do so. It's jst that you want us all to be judging that dynamic tiger is extraordinarily "solid, healthy and hunky". Sorry tiger but people do not make those judgments on people who shout out "I am extraordinarliy solid, healthy and hunky". Not without something else to back it up anyway. (Waiting for the price of cameras to drop? Gimme a break.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat May 26, 2012 7:19 pm

BMI of 26.6 ............. and I’m most definitely “extraordinarliy solid, healthy and hunky” ...........just ask my wife ........... damn those cameras are expensive. :lol:

shann

Postby shann » Sun May 27, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm getting a tad confused. My BMI is borderline obese, but my waist-hip ratio is .67, which the Interwebs tell me is a good thing. The mirror tells me I'm fat, of course, but am I 'fat and not likely to die of cardiac problems', or is the waist-hip ratio thing just not an indicator of anything much?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 27, 2012 5:25 pm

shann wrote:I'm getting a tad confused. My BMI is borderline obese, but my waist-hip ratio is .67, which the Interwebs tell me is a good thing. The mirror tells me I'm fat, of course, but am I 'fat and not likely to die of cardiac problems', or is the waist-hip ratio thing just not an indicator of anything much?
As I understand from presentations from my employers contracted wellness service waste-hip is supposed to give an assessment of exactly what you are alluding to - risk of heart attack. It is supposed to be statistically valid.

Maybe men tend to do worse on this ratio as we tend to put on excess fat around the middle whereas women tend to put extra on a range of places. Next time you are on a train cast a critical eye on your fellow passengers and you will likely notice that while men may seem to be less on the fat side, they almost all have a pot. Fortunately for our male egos we can seem to be OK just by wearing a not-too-tight t-shirt not tucked in.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 27, 2012 5:55 pm

It is exactly for the reason that men put weight on around the waist, that waist hip ratio derives its statistical power.
Personally, I think waist height ratio is more accurate, but my personal opinion means squat.

Shann, are you 100% certain you are calculating your waist hip ratio correctly? = waist circumference / hip circumference?
where are you measuring your waist? and hip?

shann

Postby shann » Sun May 27, 2012 6:12 pm

PawPaw wrote:It is exactly for the reason that men put weight on around the waist, that waist hip ratio derives its statistical power.
Personally, I think waist height ratio is more accurate, but my personal opinion means squat.

Shann, are you 100% certain you are calculating your waist hip ratio correctly? = waist circumference / hip circumference?
where are you measuring your waist? and hip?
Waist at the narrowest part, hips at the biggest part, and I put the numbers into an online calculator. 29 inch waist, 43 top and bottom - like a much chubbier version of Joan on Mad Men. The mirror tells me that I am a chubber, and so does the BMI chart; I just thought it was strange that I get a pat on the back from the waist/hip ratio chart. I suppose that even if I'm relatively 'good' against cardiovascular problems, I still have a whole lot of other weight related issues to worry about, so I should probably get off the BNA fora and back on the bike...

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Shann, there's something not right about your waist and hip measurements.
A 29 inch waist with a 43 inch hip measurement is highly unusual.

If you are inclined, what's your ht, wt, and neck circumference (beneath adam's apple)?
There's a few other regression equations I can plug your data into.

shann

Postby shann » Sun May 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Uh-oh, like 'see your doctor because you are an alien' highly unusual? My physio has advised me not to run because my Q-angle was causing the pain in my knees, but I always thought he was politely telling me that my knees are too weak to handle my weight ... that's why I took up cycling.

So, here's the info you requested, since I'm already getting personal on the internet :oops: (I don't know why it bothers me, people who see me every day already know that I'm short and fat, it's not like knowing the numbers changes my size) - I'm about 5'4", and I weigh about 75kg (165 pounds) giving me a BMI that is 'nearly obese' (thank you calculator, I had no idea I was fat until you told me :roll: ). I measured around my neck, about half way up, and it was 13.75 inches.

... is having a fat neck a 'thing'?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 27, 2012 7:33 pm

shann, I should have qualified my statement, that your waist hip ratio is highly unusual.......for a male!
now don't go tell me you are female.

shann

Postby shann » Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 pm

PawPaw wrote:shann, I should have qualified my statement, that your waist hip ratio is highly unusual.......for a male!
now don't go tell me you are female.
So I'm not an alien? Phew!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:37 pm

I go away for two weeks and still no photo.

Not happy Jan!!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:54 am

Redbull wrote:I go away for two weeks and still no photo.

Not happy Jan!!
Trolls don't do photos. :shock: :mrgreen: