Clavicle Plate Removal - Recovery and return to cycling?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
hamwedges

Postby hamwedges » Wed May 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi all,

So i had a motorbike accident and smashed my collarbone about a year ago and had a plate and screws installed :cry: I've been riding a lot lately with no pain, just discomfort when sleeping, carrying bags, etc so on Monday i'm due to get the plate removed.

Has anyone got any experience with this? Whats the recovery like and how long until i can ride without pain :?: :?: (i know i shouldn't due to risk of falling, but im not sitting around for 6 weeks!)
The reason for my question is because i am due to go on holidays to Whistler 10 days after my operation (and we all know what we do in Whistler once the snow's gone :wink: )

I know i absolutely cant fall off otherwise i will probably re-break it, but will i be able to ride a bike pain free???

hamwedges

Re: Clavicle Plate Removal - Recovery and return to cycling?

Postby hamwedges » Fri May 25, 2012 3:52 pm

**bump**

Sorry for the bump, but surely someone must have experience with this?
Surgery's on monday and i want to get back on the bike asap.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Surely if the bone has had a year to heal there should be no need to wait any longer.
It's unusual for them to even set a collarbone, I still have lump when mine broke.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 25, 2012 5:10 pm

I'd give it 6 weeks or so before returning to full load. There will be screw holes that are stress raisers that could lead to a break if you fall on it.

I have a similar issue with my 5th metacarpal. I can usually predict weather changes, and when someone tries to "win" the handshake the end of one of the screws rubs on the head of the fourth metacarpal which, makes my eyes water and go like this -> :shock:

Hoping to get the screws and plate out this year, and the advice above is what I was given to expect when I asked about it. Clavicle may differ so I'd be guided by your surgeon over internet prognostications.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri May 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Gumby is correct . Screw holes take a few weeks to “fill in", just be careful. US healthcare is crazy costly

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri May 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi mate,

I hit a car while cycling home in July last year and also smashed my left clavicle in the process, requiring a large metal plate and 8 thick screws.

I got the plate removed three weeks ago and it was a very straight forward process, surgery was quick and straight forward and only took a few hours all up so I was home that evening after my surgery in the afternoon. I only needed painkillers and a sling for a couple of days and was back to doing basic tasks within a few days. The surgeon wasn't worried about the bone breaking, but more so the wound being damaged and causing infection etc. I went for a 2 week post-op checkup with the surgeon and he had a look and was happy with how it had all healed. I've been back on the bike since the Doc gave the all clear, he just said to take it easy and avoid any more collisions. It was a little bit sore for the first few rides, but three weeks later it's almost 100% comfortable.

So essentially, just listen to your surgeon's advice and just take it easy.. but you should be fine for cycling after at least 10-14 days rest (and I mean rest it, don't try to over do it straight away otherwise it'll take longer to heal).

The holes in the bone will take a few years to fill and cover up, but it's not really something to be too worried about - there's nothing you can do about it. I bodyboard as well as cycling and went out for a surf last week and got smashed a few times and didn't have any issues.
scotto wrote:US healthcare is crazy costly
Be very, very careful with this.. travel insurance won't cover any pre-existing conditions if you've recently had surgery. It will literally cost you tens of thousands to get your should repaired if you crack it while over there.

I'm off to Europe for some cycling in July and am a bit worried as it's the same deal for me.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

hamwedges

Postby hamwedges » Sat May 26, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, 2 days until I get it out so I'm going to try and get 100km on the bike this weekend, should get it out of my system for a few days.
...shame about the wind here in Syd...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 am

hamwedges wrote:...shame about the wind here in Syd...
Yep, sure is. I'm glad I elected to ride home on Thursday night in the rain, even with the late finish at the office, rather than cab it home and ride home last night. A little rain isn't so bad, but gales ... urrrgh!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon May 28, 2012 10:32 am

a couple of years ago broke my collarbone and had this put in for 2 months. Was skiing 3 weeks after it was taken out. Hasn't been a problem since

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon May 28, 2012 10:32 am

a couple of years ago broke my collarbone and had this put in for 2 months. Was skiing 3 weeks after it was taken out. Hasn't been a problem since

hamwedges

Postby hamwedges » Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, its out.. Doesn't feel too painful, just tenderness around the incision itself. Doesn't hurt to move my arm which is good. They wouldn't let me keep the hardware though, feeling somewhat ripped off :(
10 days until i'll be in Whistler, fingers crossed!

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon May 28, 2012 10:26 pm

hamwedges wrote:Well, its out.. Doesn't feel too painful, just tenderness around the incision itself. Doesn't hurt to move my arm which is good. They wouldn't let me keep the hardware though, feeling somewhat ripped off :(
10 days until i'll be in Whistler, fingers crossed!
Yeah I wasn't allowed to have mine either. Rest up and enjoy the painkillers.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA