Changing spring in Rockshox Tora fork and adjusting fork

willsmother

Changing spring in Rockshox Tora fork and adjusting fork

Postby willsmother » Fri May 25, 2012 5:48 pm

My new Giant Alias comes with Rockshox Tora coil spring forks (non U turn, 100mm travel). I'm 53 kg and the standard spring is too stiff. When I bought the bike the bike shop said the preload was set to the softest it could be. It is still too stiff. I read on the Internet you could change the springs and the right one for my size was soft yellow. I ordered it from Outside Outfitters in the US and it is on its way. I'm pretty sure I have ordered the right one. My problem is I am in East Timor so I have to do it myself, hopefully with the help of more technical biking friends, but I don't know how and I am afraid I might do it wrong and break something. I have read some threads and people say it is easy, but I have my doubts whether I personally will find it easy.
It would really help me if someone was kind enough to post step by step instructions in really simple language suitable for a non mechanical person to follow. For example what I have read on the internet says put grease on the spring but I don't know what kind of grease and if that matters, because you can't get special technical fluids here. Same with oil.
I have read some instructions but they are not for my specific type of fork. Videos are a bit of a problem because we have slow internet. I did watch one short one though but it was for a slightly different Rockshox fork and the caps looked a bit different.
I also have to admit I don't really know how to adjust preload and rebound, which will become important when I get my new spring.
I apologise for asking basic questions. If I could just take it to a bike shop I would, but I am a bit stuck here.
Thanks in advance, Helen

mitzikatzi

Re: Changing spring in Rockshox Tora fork and adjusting fork

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri May 25, 2012 10:19 pm

2010 Sram Technical manual

2011 Sram Technical manual

Just read the section on spring change. Both say much the same thing.

These documents mention grease. I would assume "wheel bearing grease". I will Google this a bit more when i get time. There are special "fork" grease but I am not sure if a Tora spring really needs them.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Changing spring in Rockshox Tora fork and adjusting fork

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Most non lithium greases will work fine on springs but if you want the best, go HERE
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011