Advice with building my own track bike

simurs4

Advice with building my own track bike

Postby simurs4 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi guys i've been mulling over the idea of building my own track bike as i love the whole idea of track racing and the minimalistic look of track bikes. currently i've got a Scott Foil for road duties and will be picking up a Focus Planet flat bar for commuting next week and ever since i saw pictures of the Baum Corretto Pista track bike ive wanted to build up something similar (not titanium obviously!).
i've been looking around for cheapish dedicated track frame sets but unsure what would be the best material to go for, alloy or steel and what components i should be using for the drive train. would it be best to use a track frame so you don't have any holes etc for brake mounting or cable routing etc? or would a fixie frame be alright to use?
thanks for any help guys!
heres my inspiration :)

wulfy117

Re: Advice with building my own track bike

Postby wulfy117 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Where will you be riding it, track or street?

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:45 pm

it would be for track only, so no need for brakes or anything like that, ive got the Scott for that.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Sun May 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Track vs Fixie frames I think the issue is BB height. It will be an issue if you ride steeply banked tracks. Some fixie frames may be fine, but you need to do some due diligence with the numbers. Carbon might be an option too unless you've got your heart set on steel/alu. Plenty of good quality cheap frames coming out of China, and you can afford to wack on a nice bit of custom paint or stickering to boot.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 am

Just be sure to check the geometry, I had a Schwinn Madison fixie for road use, the advertising claimed it had "track geometry" but I can assure you it did not handle anything like my dedicated track bike - much slower & heavier in the steering. About the only thing they had in common was toe overlap!
The Schwinn would have done the job, but it was no track frame.
Since you are wanting something purely for track use, get a proper track frame if you can. You didn't mention a budget?

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am

i am looking at selling my red visp track bike. proper track geometry, everythings new except the frame, which is in ex. condition, suits 5'10 - 6'1, (came in top 10 place in raw div4 last year and 2nd in c grade summer) its just a bit small for me, but was a good bike to decide if track racing was my thing (it is)
$300ono.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 pm

scotto wrote:i am looking at selling my red visp track bike. proper track geometry, everythings new except the frame, which is in ex. condition, suits 5'10 - 6'1, (came in top 10 place in raw div4 last year and 2nd in c grade summer) its just a bit small for me, but was a good bike to decide if track racing was my thing (it is)
$300ono.
Do this. If its your size of course.

It's a cheap way to get rolling! You can then decide what you like, and build your dream bike accordingly. 300 is a small outlay to work out what you want. Certainly cheaper than dropping $2.5k on a track bike and realizing you don't like it.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:07 pm

HLC wrote:
scotto wrote:i am looking at selling my red visp track bike. proper track geometry, everythings new except the frame, which is in ex. condition, suits 5'10 - 6'1, (came in top 10 place in raw div4 last year and 2nd in c grade summer) its just a bit small for me, but was a good bike to decide if track racing was my thing (it is)
$300ono.
Do this. If its your size of course.

It's a cheap way to get rolling! You can then decide what you like, and build your dream bike accordingly. 300 is a small outlay to work out what you want. Certainly cheaper than dropping $2.5k on a track bike and realizing you don't like it.
Shhhh...that's how you end up with track bikes for $300.

Buy Scotto's bike.

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:23 am

i am waiting on dry weather to take some pics and then i'll put it up here...
i just hope my new frame is as fast for me. :wink:

wrcreedon

Postby wrcreedon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:54 am

scotto wrote:
i am looking at selling my red visp track bike. proper track geometry, everythings new except the frame, which is in ex. condition, suits 5'10 - 6'1, (came in top 10 place in raw div4 last year and 2nd in c grade summer) its just a bit small for me, but was a good bike to decide if track racing was my thing (it is)
$300ono.
Is this bike still available for sale, I am interested in buying a track bike and am 5'11" so this bike might be a good fit.

One problem though I am in Melbourne, would you be willing to ship it here??

Thanks

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Sold sorry

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:39 pm

wrcreedon wrote:Is this bike still available for sale, I am interested in buying a track bike and am 5'11" so this bike might be a good fit.

Thanks

I have an Avanti Pista track bike which i am wanting to sell, but haven't gotten around to putting any adds up yet. If you do a google search for avanti pista 2009 (it's the blue one). Am looking for $450. I am 5'11" and the size was right for me, and it's a great bike to get started on track. Am selling because I picked up a 2nd hand upgrade for a good price. If you are interested i can post actual pics and more details.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

wrcreedon

Postby wrcreedon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

nickj_d wrote:
wrcreedon wrote:Is this bike still available for sale, I am interested in buying a track bike and am 5'11" so this bike might be a good fit.

Thanks

I have an Avanti Pista track bike which i am wanting to sell, but haven't gotten around to putting any adds up yet. If you do a google search for avanti pista 2009 (it's the blue one). Am looking for $450. I am 5'11" and the size was right for me, and it's a great bike to get started on track. Am selling because I picked up a 2nd hand upgrade for a good price. If you are interested i can post actual pics and more details.
Yeah, I am interested as you say it. Maybe send on some pic's and details please??

Are you in Sydney?? Any idea how much it would be to ship it to Melbourne???

Thanks