Darwin to Sydney in 2012

Elsuizo

Darwin to Sydney in 2012

Postby Elsuizo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:03 am

Hi all,
I have planned a bike tour from Darwin to Sydney in 2012 together with a classmate. Unfortunately, today he decided to not come with me, depending of family reason.
Is there somebody out there who would like to join the party ?
My plan is, to do the trip during 3 Months (from July to September).
I'm 64 years old from Switzerland, male, well trained, German- English- French- Spanish speaking.

Best regards
Elsuizo

polishbiker

Re: Darwin to Sydney in 2012

Postby polishbiker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey there,

Can you tell us your planned route/kms per day etc? I am thinking of doing Perth to Sydney going North, through Darwin etc.

Ta.

Elsuizo

Postby Elsuizo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi polishbiker,
as you can see, I have planned 3 Months for the tour. So it will not be a race.
I devided the tour into 64 parts. Some are 40 Km, some are 100 Km.
You will find them here :

http://www.bikemap.net/user/elSuizo/rou ... m=3&type=2

Of course, I want to visit the tourist attractions on the way too (Kakadu national park, Kathrin Gorges etc.).
Would be cool if we could bike together.

Regards
Elsuizo

By the way, I did Darwin to Perth in 2003 by 4x4 via Gibb river road

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Elsuizo wrote:By the way, I did Darwin to Perth in 2003 by 4x4 via Gibb river road
All the best with your ride. Sounds like a great idea. I will be in Darwin in July as well, but heading south to Perth and will be riding the Gibb River Road all going to plan :)

Andrew

Elsuizo

Postby Elsuizo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Aushiker,
what about changing your route 8)

Cool vids on youtube.
Long time ago, I did some videos too, from a fix mounted camera. But while watching them, I got bad, feeling really sick. I think its the swinging movement of the cam.
So I stopped the project.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 am

could see you on the way to darwin, i am starting on june 18th from cairns.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Elsuizo

It might be worth asking this question on the CrazyGuyOnABike website as well, the companions classified page is here. A lot of the advertisements are for people touring in the USA, but you might have some luck there. You could try the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree as well.

If you don't find anyone to go with, will you still go? I assume so. There are pros and cons with travelling alone or in company. It can get quite lonely on your own sometimes, but this can also be a good thing, especially through the vastness of outback Australia. Being alone makes you more approachable and more welcome as well, although if you've spent two weeks alone, sometimes your first social interaction can be a bit strange. Travelling with someone creates a shared experience and an immense bond; something that no one else will understand. But travelling with the wrong person can completely ruin a trip as well.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 am

IMO you will be lucky to find a replacement for the entire tour.

When I rode across the Nullarbor, my partner pulled out too. Took off solo. But rode with a guy from Norseman to Eucla.

Plough on. Try not to let others interrupt your dreams. You will meet a lot more people if you are solo.

Otherwise if you are keen on riding with someone else, you might have to change your plans.

Best of luck. Sounds like an awesome adventure.

philippe60

Postby philippe60 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 am

Hello ,

I am planning to cycle from Darwin to Mount Isa to Sydney and I would like to know which type of bike (road bike, Gravel, MTB) is advisable, knowing that I won't have to carry all my equipment. What kind of roads am I going to encounter?
Thanks for the answer.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:28 am

I'm not a bicycle tourer, but from my driving experience I know that Darwin to Mt Isa to Sydney are all linked by decent quality highways. So you can do the whole thing on good sealed roads.

From Darwin to Mt Isa and onto southern Queensland there probably won't be many alternative roads, and you may only have the major highways to use, so you will be sharing them with interstate traffic, trucks etc. The further south you go, the more alternative routes you will have, and you will be able to choose quieter, more scenic options.

gabaker

Postby gabaker » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 pm

I cycled from Toowoomba to Darwin in 2015. There are few alternatives to the main road. The Old Tambo Road from Augathella to Tambo is worth taking and gets you off the highway. And you can detour through Isisford between Blackall and Ilfracombe. It's all surfaced road, so you could even take a road bike. You need puncture-resistant tyres. There's detritus on the road, and thorns on the shoulders of the road, that work their way through your tyres.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:06 pm

gabaker wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 pm
I cycled from Toowoomba to Darwin in 2015. There are few alternatives to the main road. The Old Tambo Road from Augathella to Tambo is worth taking and gets you off the highway. And you can detour through Isisford between Blackall and Ilfracombe. It's all surfaced road, so you could even take a road bike. You need puncture-resistant tyres. There's detritus on the road, and thorns on the shoulders of the road, that work their way through your tyres.
I knew a French guy years ago who rode Darwin to Toowoomba. It was August 2009.
He says the best part was Longreach to Toowoomba but that might have been because his girlfriend joined him in Longreach and they completed the journey together. I recall it took them 28 days from Longreach to Toowoomba on hybrid bikes carrying all their camping gear. They said that weather and riding conditions were pretty good until they got to Roma (Qld) and the highway was not as safe from Roma to Toowoomba . I should have kept in contact with them but unfortunately didn’t. After Toowoomba they went to NZ. If I recall correctly he had arrived in Darwin from South East Asia and had done a lot of riding through Asia before he got here.