Cyclists banned from Brisbane Airport over safety concerns

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:23 am

Julia Phipps of mX
April 24, 2008 04:06pm

CYCLISTS will be banned from the airport for up to two years from next month because it is not safe for them, Corporation bosses say.

Construction and heavy traffic mean it’s no longer safe for workers riding to work or recreational
cyclists, says Brisbane Airport Corporation.

Your say: Bicycles and busy roadsBut Bicycle Queensland has slammed the plan, saying it will disadvantage workers who will have to drive or pay for the expensive air train.
A ban will be enforced from May 26 for between 18 months and two years, BAC corporate relations manager Jim Carden said.

‘‘We’ve contacted a few cyclists who ride out to airport and we’ve been liaising with them and cycling groups over the past few months,’’ Carden said.

BAC’s traffic studies show about 75,000 cars and 30-40 cyclists use the road every day.

‘‘There’s construction activity, hundreds of truck movements every day, not only taking up more room on the roads, but concrete barriers constructed to make it safe mean the road shoulders are not generous, so there’s fewer and fewer recreational cyclists because of the
busier road network.’’

The move has copped criticism from Bicycle Queensland manager Ben Wilson, who said
it set a bad precedent.

"It’s too easy to say we can’t fit you in so we’re going to ban you, that’s not a solution,’’ Wilson said.
‘‘There’s big earthmoving equipment, but if they ban it because of that, we’d have to ban it everywhere, they’re really just looking for an easy way out.’’

mX is free at outlets in the CBD, Fortitude Valley and South Brisbane.

Share this article
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 am

What a load of crap
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:13 am

We all know that. The main point is that this problem has been building fo years and now they are using the constuction of the new Gateway bridge as an excuse. People have been riding out to the airport for years and now the airport roundabout is beyond capacity and so any non essential traffiuc is looked down upon. That said this could be avoided if the Bribane airport and Brisbane city council just built a branch off the Kedron Brook Bikeway. All it would need is bituman as very few people would want to walk out there and it would not need to be that wide.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Yes I was wondering whether walking to the airport had been baned as well. There are reasonably good walking and cycling facilities to Sydney Airport.

How many K of bike path would be required?

Also they say that only 30 - 40 bikes ride out to the airport, not I'm guessing that the reason for the low numbers is due to the lack of a quiet route. Bike usage can't be measured like car usage as the number of bikes is directly related to the suitability of the route. Build the bike path and the bikes will follow.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:38 pm

There's already pages of discontent on Roadgrime. My idea of everyone giving a weeks notice was not the most popular. Where did the good old days go?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Pack o' narrow minded tossers who can't see the wood for the smog :roll: Bike paths cost 5/8ths of stuffall compared to what is being thrown at the site.

MG, the good old days got sold off by half a dozen blacklegs for an extra 15c an hour and all the shite they could eat...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mawson

Let BAC know this is not on

Postby Mawson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 pm

This is a cop-out by Brisbane Airport Corporation who have a responsibility to ensure safe access for all road users. By banning cyclists BAC have shown they have no social or environmental principles.

I am urging cyclists to write to BAC asking them to remove the ban and facilate a safe routes for cyclists to the Brisbane airport precinct.

Write to: Mark Willey
Executive Manager Airport Planning
Brisbane Airport Corporation
PO Box 61 Hamilton Central Qld 4007

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:03 am

BTW, is it legal to ban bikes ?

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 pm

As I understand it the airport road is, strictly speaking, a private road (was once on Commonwealth land and then sold off with the airport), so BAC is probably within their rights.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Jean wrote:As I understand it the airport road is, strictly speaking, a private road (was once on Commonwealth land and then sold off with the airport), so BAC is probably within their rights.
Perhaps it could be classified under discrimination.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:54 pm

What facilities do they have for touring cyclists needing to catch their plane?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:39 am

i gots teh questions:

how are they gonna enforce this?
and what would you be charged with if you are caught?
trespass?
i know that the queensland road rules apply to car parks and some other roads on private property - so does that mean the queensland govt will have to erect "no cyclist" signs for the police to be able to enforce them?
cause if BAC erect the signs - why should we obey them?

i dunno much about stuff but...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:57 am

It does seem to be a serious case of over kill. I'm still wondering if your permitted to walk to the airport?

In Sydney we are permitted to ride on most motorways.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:33 am

you *could* walk there, but it is quite a way from anywhere...and crossing major roads might be an issue

you can also ride as far as the international terminal through pinkenba and some service roads - not sure if they are gonna close that back route to cyclists too...--->

Bikely

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:38 am

i think you can actually get to Lomadra Dr and then Qantas Drive via sugarmill road - avoiding pinkenba (if you wanted)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:56 am

So there is alternative routes and all the airport authority had to do was to recommend it and put a few signs up.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I think Lomandra Drive will come under the ban.

Mawson

Ban is off!

Postby Mawson » Fri May 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Yay, The ban is off! After strong opposition from workers and management of companies at the Brisbane Airport Precinct and from Bicycle Queensland and perhaps from other influential persons and agencies unknown, Brisbane Airport Corporation has backed down from the proposed ban of cyclists on airport roads.

Brisbane Airport Corporation has instead issued a traffic update that announces cycling on airport roads will not be banned, only strongly discouraged.

This is a great result for cycle commuters who rely on their bicycle as their only means of transport to work. Hopefully the many voices who spoke out against this ban will continue to lobby for BAC to facilitate safe routes for cyclists to the airport precinct through the roadworks. :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Woo hoo, Solidarity Forever!

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:18 pm

I know this is an 'old' topic, but just had the perfect thought in regards to BAC regarding bicycles. I'd be inclined to let them discourage bicycle's from using the roads, as long as they pay for my airtrain ticket (both ways). Got a bicycle? Free travel :D

Forgot to mention, the other reason why I brought this topic back up, I might be travelling to brisbane soon, believe it....OR NOT! The cheapest way to get there is to ride my bike AWAY from the airport, book a 'airport shuttle', carry my bicycle on it to the airport then ride from the airport into the CBD. Would anyone be able to recommend a good route from the airport to the CBD? Thanks!
Last edited by russellgarrard on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mawson

Airport BUG

Postby Mawson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Considering the construction activity at the Airport is estimated to continue for up to two years, Airport BUG has requested BAC endeavour to maintain safe pedestrian and cycling routes during construction rather than exclude these transportation modes.

Cyclists are legitimate road users. This assertion is supported by State and local government ordnances. It follows that cyclists using roads in the airport precinct should expect road alterations and diversions to include design consideration for cyclists.

Mawson