Thredbo Valley - Lake CrackenBack : MTB or Roadbike

eon

Postby eon » Thu May 31, 2012 8:42 am

Need some advice and info regarding Lake Crackenback. Heading off to location mid June for about a week.
Deciding on either taking the MTB or Roadie with me.

Any locals or people thats been there know of any good MTB tracks, or Road rides ( even group rides in the area ).

Winter activities in the area suggests MTBing is a go
http://www.lakecrackenback.com.au/activ ... ain-biking

"For the more adventurous, we have located at the entrance to the Resort, a purpose built Mountain Bike Skills Course to test you with berms, bridges, logs and rails."
This might be interesting.

Big steep hills would be ideal. :D will try punch out 2-3 hours in the early mornings for the week we're there.

Garmin or Strava links would be nice... :)

Thanks guys.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Thredbo Valley - Lake CrackenBack : MTB or Roadbike

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am

MTB without a doubt....some of the best downhill and AM trails in Oz are based out of Thredbo!!! How could you not know??? :D
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:MTB without a doubt....some of the best downhill and AM trails in Oz are based out of Thredbo!!! How could you not know??? :D
he did say June, will need to fit the snow tyres. :lol:

seriously the downhill season is finished at thredbo but there still are plenty of trials to ride around Jindabyne.

try here for some more info, even try giving them a ring as they do organise group rides http://www.srbikes.com.au/

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Thu May 31, 2012 9:42 am

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 am

rudeboy wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:MTB without a doubt....some of the best downhill and AM trails in Oz are based out of Thredbo!!! How could you not know??? :D
True. But what is life without a challenge? Then again...getting out on the Thredbo Road on a roadie with all that idiotic ski related traffic would be an interesting challenge too...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
True. But what is life without a challenge? Then again...getting out on the Thredbo Road on a roadie with all that idiotic ski related traffic would be an interesting challenge too...

Simple. Drive to Thredbo, Ride towards Khancoban and back :) Shouldn't be too much traffic down that way I wouldn't think (assuming the road is open).

You'd want to take some warm gear with you though...
2010 BMC SLC01

eon

Postby eon » Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 am

thanks for the replies guys..

we're staying at the LakeCrackenBack resort and looking at their website :
the Resort will be linked with Thredbo via the Thredbo Diggings Track which will allow guests aswell as enthusiasts the opportunity to mountain bike from Thredbo right through to Lake Crackenback Resort & Spawhich will be fantastic
anyone know if this track is feasable during winter ?
silentbutdeadly wrote:MTB without a doubt....some of the best downhill and AM trails in Oz are based out of Thredbo!!! How could you not know???
I have heard of it :) let me just say that I am a newbie-ish to MTB. been RoadRiding for a while and fitness level is not bad. Have raced at local club events in A. Lately been hitting mostly MTB trails - well really mostly Quary road at Dural doing repeats of them bastard-hills, and having a good bash going downhill :D
Will definitely hit Thredbo on the warmer months for some Downhill action.
silentbutdeadly wrote:True. But what is life without a challenge? Then again...getting out on the Thredbo Road on a roadie with all that idiotic ski related traffic would be an interesting challenge too...
certainly like a bit of challenge.. :) but good point about the SKI Season Traffic... Roadbike is staying home.. Def gona take the MTB instead :D
rudeboy wrote:plenty of trials to ride around Jindabyne.
try here for some more info, even try giving them a ring as they do organise group rides http://www.srbikes.com.au/
awesome... thanks..

eon

Postby eon » Thu May 31, 2012 11:33 am

hannos wrote:Simple. Drive to Thredbo, Ride towards Khancoban and back Shouldn't be too much traffic down that way I wouldn't think (assuming the road is open).
holy cow.. thats a mother of a ride.
http://app.strava.com/runs/thredbo-to-k ... lia-484548
wifey wont be too happy if i disappear that long in the morning

even just going down
Alpine Way Descent A (Dead Horse Gap to Leather Barrel)
Then coming back up it looks interesting...

http://app.strava.com/runs/thredbo-to-k ... 48#7369172
17.8kms of 5.8% avg... awesome !!!!!!

Anyone riden this road ? shoulder ? traffic ?
Thinking maybe roadie now
Last edited by eon on Thu May 31, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

philip

Postby philip » Thu May 31, 2012 11:35 am

eon wrote:Anyone riden this road ? shoulder ? traffic ?
Yeah I've done this in March, very little traffic, no shoulder, not really needed though. Really awesome riding. It was cold enough in March though, not sure I'd want to be doing it in winter! I only had a 39/25 and grinding away in that for an hour wasn't all that much fun, take a 28 or something if you can!

eon

Postby eon » Thu May 31, 2012 2:52 pm

philip wrote:
eon wrote:Anyone riden this road ? shoulder ? traffic ?
Yeah I've done this in March, very little traffic, no shoulder, not really needed though. Really awesome riding. It was cold enough in March though, not sure I'd want to be doing it in winter! I only had a 39/25 and grinding away in that for an hour wasn't all that much fun, take a 28 or something if you can!
thanks bud. sounds like a sufferfest... :| The 27 will come in handy then :)

just been google mapping the area --> lake crackenback to bottom of alpineway ( snowy creek according to the strava section ) is about 40kms.
turn there and head back up.

Them roads look pretty tight. ie like the roads to Jenolan Caves.
Did you ride there with a group ? I'm likely to be riding solo so it looks pretty sketchy if i'm on my own, unlike in a group your more visible.

Anyone actually ride this section during winter ? currently 7deg in threadbo. but i'll likely be riding 1hour before sunrise ( looks like sun comes up about 7am over there ). 0Deg - maybe .. :? hmmm.. solo :?

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Thu May 31, 2012 4:02 pm

I have driven it during winter and you would expect the section around dead horse gap to be snow lined.
yes, it is tight and and steep in sections.

Not sure if pre sunrise would be a good idea and you will have to take good notice of the weather reports as it can get foggy, even during the day.

At the bottom near where it is closest to the border near snowy creek is a good picnic area (Tom Groggin) on the left with toilet facilities that may come in handy and if you venture in a bit further a padock full of kangaroos and emus.

eon

Postby eon » Thu May 31, 2012 4:41 pm

rudeboy wrote:At the bottom near where it is closest to the border near snowy creek is a good picnic area (Tom Groggin) on the left with toilet facilities that may come in handy and if you venture in a bit further a padock full of kangaroos and emus.
facilities def handy.. anything in between ?
anyone notice what phone reception is like in that area ?

just gone up Alpine Way via GoogleMap and bottom section reminds me so much of the Gorge.
Looks nice in GoogleMap. --> wonder what it looks like in winter :|

i'm exhausted just following it through google.

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Thu May 31, 2012 5:06 pm

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Thu May 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Couple of points here Ehly;

1. You'll get to know this little hill well enough in November, and I wouldn't want you getting a look at it before me :wink:
2. I reckon you'd have to be mad to do it in winter. I think you'd be lucky to see a max temp of 0 degrees. Tomorrow's temp range at thredbo is from -3 to 4 degrees. You'd be riding in the -3 bit :shock: My experience of riding in minus degree temps is that it hurts. Sometimes a lot :shock: :cry:
3. I want you to be spending more time on your mountain bike :wink:

Cheers,
Greg

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:59 pm

I know you like challenges Ehly but this might be deadly-type crazy....just be very careful mate. Its hard enough in a group. Its going to be freaky alone.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 pm

You'd be surprised what you can climb on a road bike on snow covered roads with 23 mm tires ... Just can't stand up to pedal ;-) ... The biggest fear I have when doing these silly frozen rides is a puncture... When you haven't had feeling in hands and feet for an hour or two changing a blow out would be rather hard!.

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Charlottes Pass
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139234511

Jindy to thredbo to Dead Horse Gap to Tom Groggin to Geehi and return
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139234504

it will be freakin freezing all day, and before sunrise will be super hardcore crazy stuff. Leave the bikes at home i reckon. if you do ride take every bit of cycling clothing you have as you will need to wear all of it at once :shock:

eon

Postby eon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:05 pm

rudeboy wrote:Image
that looks quite nice actually. look cold too.
stickgc wrote:I reckon you'd have to be mad to do it in winter
leximack wrote:it will be freakin freezing all day, and before sunrise will be super hardcore crazy stuff
aeroslavebigbelly wrote:I know you like challenges Ehly but this might be deadly-type crazy
rudeboy wrote:Not sure if pre sunrise would be a good idea and you will have to take good notice of the weather reports as it can get foggy, even during the day.
philip wrote:It was cold enough in March though, not sure I'd want to be doing it in winter!
silentbutdeadly wrote:idiotic ski related traffic
toolonglegs wrote:changing a blow out would be rather hard!.
hannos wrote:Shouldn't be too much traffic down that way I wouldn't think (assuming the road is open).
LOL :lol: :lol: :D OK - after all the feedback, me thinks roadbike might not be a good idea... :? will save it for the November TNFPR snowy trip.
Thanks guys..

will bring MTB and see if i can get out around Lake Crackenback. the place we're staying looks to be surrounded with tracks. then again them tracks might be covered with snow. :? lol.. will bring it anyway.
stickgc wrote:1. You'll get to know this little hill well enough in November, and I wouldn't want you getting a look at it before me
this is a 5 minute drive from where we're staying, gonna scope it out anyway to see where's what.. =) lol.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Was in thredbo ovre easter, there's heaps of mtb tracks along the base of the valley, they have maps at the tourist centre in the middle of the village. Snow at this time will be non existant or very light at the base so you should be able to still do most of those trails. The ones headed up the mountain will be less reliable, not to mention cold once you get out of the shelter in the trees.

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:44 pm

you shouldn't have any problems around lake crackenback with regards to snow at that time, it is low enough that it rarely hangs around there too long.
Thredbo village is around 1300m and lake crackenback about 1100.
http://www.snowatch.com.au/8-14-day-snow-forecast.php

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm in the do it catergory ... the worse the condition's the more the adventure.

eon

Postby eon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:46 am

I'm glad I brought the MTB instead of the Roadie... although its warm enough at Tom Groggin, by the time you get close to Dead Horse Gap its frieken freezing and snow everywhere. Def not quite doable before sunrise. Id CRAP myself...
What a monster of a climb. took 28minutes in a car ( slow van )... cant wait to climb this in November.

for the MTBers, there looks to be a decent track from Lake Crackenback to probably all the way to Thredbo or further. Didn't get the far though as I needed to get back before everyone else woke up.. 1 degree morning, with the right gear is doable. =)
http://app.strava.com/activities/11160075

From Crackenback there is 2 parallel trails along Thredbo River (awesome views ). Green(easy firetrail-ish) and Blue(intermidiate single trail)
The single trail is awesome, well groomed. Kangaroos jumping in front of you is a little scary (didnt want to get knocked out by one of them) especially that no one else is stupid enough to get out at that time and weather in the morning to find me on the ground...

When i figure out how to convert the GoPro footage to a smaller file, I'll post it... ---> full footage of the trail.

:D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Sounds like you had fun. I'd probably want a fatbike just in case for the snowy bits. Looking forward to the footage. :D

Riding in 1 degree temperatures is something I learned about during the Mont 24 in March. Brrr!

And yes, kangaroos are scary. Big, fast, and random - not a lot going on upstairs!

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:12 pm

as you have the MTB you should check out the trails just north of the dam, you can see them on the left as you cross the dam heading north.

eon

Postby eon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:36 pm

rudeboy wrote:as you have the MTB you should check out the trails just north of the dam, you can see them on the left as you cross the dam heading north.
bugger... unfortunately am no longer there... back in Syd :( :( :( next time i'll try and go as far as the trail will take me...
trailgumby wrote: fatbike just in case for the snowy bits
as for snow at crackenback / thredbo river... there was none... just plenty of frost and a couple of lakes had a glaze of frozen layer. =) looked pretty awesome.
trailgumby wrote:Riding in 1 degree temperatures is something I learned about during the Mont 24 in March. Brrr!
i had a few layers but i suffered with my fingers the first morning I rode, all other layers we're ok.
my solution : plastic shopping bag as first layer and other gloves over it...... worked brilliantly.

footage soon.. :D