2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

coffeeandwine

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu May 31, 2012 2:25 pm

matt.blak wrote:I did the 210km last year and there were signs at all turns and marshals at major intersections and at most city intersections.

There were no closed roads, but lots of people heading in the same direction.

I didn't take a map, and would not have used it if I had one, not necessary on the ride I think.
Study the map before you go and if you can ride sections of the course as part of your training and you will be right.

Matt.
+1

Hi Blatant, no need to worry about getting the course right-pretty well signposted and I usually have plenty of people in front of me to follow :)

No road closures but they do have two lanes closed on westgate bridge for safety. haven't really used the map on course for direction, just location of rest stops.

good luck
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu May 31, 2012 2:31 pm

benam80 wrote:Just did my first commute this morning 20km , so will be round tripping 40km a day. If i add maybe some slightly longer rides on the weekend would I be able to have a crack at 210/250 but october?? Also if I do say 100km ride maybe every second weeked would that suffice or would i need to do the full 200 ish to prepare?
If you were commuting a few times a week at 40km round trip and a longer ride on weekends it will be a piece of cake. Even a couple of 100km beforehand will be enough so if you are used to doing that on regular basis you will be fine, don't need to do full 200 before. If you want to smash a particular time or keep up with a mate you may need to do more but if you just want to go out and enjoy the ride what you have planned is ok. Keeping energy levels up is one of the key things to look into.

Good luck and happy riding!

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Thu May 31, 2012 4:05 pm

What you have planned is good enough, just make sure you get in 2-4 longer rides (100km+) to make sure you have everything sorted.

What may not be a problem on a 1-2 hour ride, may turn into a major issue on a 6hour ride, you will only find out by going for a long ride.
You also need your butt to toughen up, and that is just hours in the saddle.

A lot of people go round with a lot less preparation. I believe it is not just about completing it, it is how good you feel at the end and how quickly you can get back on the bike.

Matt
Wilier GTR

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu May 31, 2012 10:16 pm

benam80 wrote:Just did my first commute this morning 20km , so will be round tripping 40km a day. If i add maybe some slightly longer rides on the weekend would I be able to have a crack at 210/250 but october?? Also if I do say 100km ride maybe every second weeked would that suffice or would i need to do the full 200 ish to prepare?
This is my first ATB but I have done a few 100km+ rides and I did the Otways classic in March and I am planning a few 150km+ rides as perperation for the 250km ATB.

One benefit of doing a few 100km+ rides is to trial your nutrition plan. My first 100km ride I popped around the 80km mark because I didnt eat right. I now have worked out I need something to eat (doesnt need to be much) every hour or 25km and a 5 to 10 minute break (stretch the back etc) after 60km to 75km. I finished the otways 145km strong following that approach.

Good luck with your commute and training
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

thanks for the info. Good to know what to look out for :)

I just realized its 1week after melbourne marathon haha. Now I have to work out how ruined my legs will be

benam80

Postby benam80 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I may sign up for the 250 as the 210 is sold out and hey if your going 210 whats another 40 hehehehehe.
Ridley x-Fire 2012

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:21 pm

blatant wrote:thanks for the info. Good to know what to look out for :)

I just realized its 1week after melbourne marathon haha. Now I have to work out how ruined my legs will be
bugger :shock: I thought it was 2 weeks

first half marathon then 7 days later first 250km ride, mmmmm an interesting week :shock:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

benam80

Postby benam80 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:37 am

Wow feeling for your guys poor legs heheheh
Ridley x-Fire 2012

blatant

Postby blatant » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm

After running Traralgon marathon yesterday I'm going to wait to see how I feel this Sunday, and use that as a measure.

Do they let TT bikes in?

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm

first time doing this for me, so im setting myself a challenge of doing the full 250k ride i can already pretty much do century rides so i just need to focus on being in the saddle for longer periods and the rest should fall into place hopefully! would it be worth while getting into the city by train instead of driving? as i live in chelsea as i imagine finding a park would be murder on the day.
also i can't imagine why they would've disallow TT bikes, im under the impression any kind of pushie can be used. ill mostly likely be running clip ons on my roadie.

Petergly

Postby Petergly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm doing the 250 for the 2nd time, first time was 3 years ago. The 250 usually goes the same route as the 210 until Geelong (I think), then turns left to go the long way to Queenscliff. From Queenscliff back to the city its the same route for all. All relatively well signposted. I only needed a map to find the start - was a Sydney-sider up until late 2010.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:31 am

simurs4 wrote:first time doing this for me, so im setting myself a challenge of doing the full 250k ride i can already pretty much do century rides so i just need to focus on being in the saddle for longer periods and the rest should fall into place hopefully! would it be worth while getting into the city by train instead of driving? as i live in chelsea as i imagine finding a park would be murder on the day.
also i can't imagine why they would've disallow TT bikes, im under the impression any kind of pushie can be used. ill mostly likely be running clip ons on my roadie.
Trains wont be an option if your doing the 250km. The 250km starts at 5:30 and first train doesnt arrive at flinders st until 8am
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm

I finally pulled my finger out and entered online this arvo for the 210km (M - S - Q - M route).
This will be my 1st ATB ride and I'm really looking forward to the challenge and the training & preparation leading up to the big day.

I almost decided on doing the M - S - M route but I really wanted to ride the entire circuit and as the MQSM route has already sold out I thought this was the next best one.
I know that the ride between Geelong and Melb will be the boring part (riding along the freeway) but after 140km's of riding I don't think I will really care at that stage. I'm hoping I will be able to get into the zone and just keep pedaling (without hitting traffic lights all the time).
Also I will likely use this section of the route (or parts of it) in my training so come ride day I will be used to it...LOL.

Does anyone know when BV will send out the commemorative jerseys?

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:14 am

DoogleDave wrote:I finally pulled my finger out and entered online this arvo for the 210km (M - S - Q - M route).
This will be my 1st ATB ride and I'm really looking forward to the challenge and the training & preparation leading up to the big day.

Does anyone know when BV will send out the commemorative jerseys?

Dave
Hi Dave,
usually two or three weeks beforehand. Good luck with the ride and preparations!

cheers

Peter

blatant

Postby blatant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 am

M-S-Q-M
M-S-M
M-Q-M
M-P-Q-S-M

In order, which would be the best-worst to enter?

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:26 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Hi Dave, usually two or three weeks beforehand. Good luck with the ride and preparations!

cheers

Peter
Thanks Peter.
I read somewhere that it is good preparation to try and ride at least 150km in training (as well as several 100km rides) so I plan to schedule a 100km ride in sometime soon and then progressively build on that as the weeks go by.

If anyone has any sage suggestions on training for the ATB (other than just putting in lots of km's on the bike) I would be interested to hear them.
I like yarravalleyplodder's suggestion of trying your nutrition plan on these longer rides so you get to know what your body needs and at what stage...so I'll certainly be factoring this in.

Dave

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:34 pm

blatant wrote:M-S-Q-M
M-S-M
M-Q-M
M-P-Q-S-M

In order, which would be the best-worst to enter?
It's really a personal choice, depending on where you live/like to ride etc etc. I've done M-S-Q-M, M-Q-S-M and M-S-M in the past. Doing M-S-M with work colleagues this year. The ferry can be annoying if you're waiting around for an hour or so.

For me, M-Q-M is probably the worst as the Geelong Road is long and featureless. Plus there's often a mean headwind which will add to the pain.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm

DoogleDave wrote:I read somewhere that it is good preparation to try and ride at least 150km in training (as well as several 100km rides) so I plan to schedule a 100km ride in sometime soon and then progressively build on that as the weeks go by.

If anyone has any sage suggestions on training for the ATB (other than just putting in lots of km's on the bike) I would be interested to hear them.
I like yarravalleyplodder's suggestion of trying your nutrition plan on these longer rides so you get to know what your body needs and at what stage...so I'll certainly be factoring this in.

Dave
I would certainly agree about trying out the nutrition/fluid and electrolytes plan early. Some of the stuff sounds good but may not be palatable (tried a new product sample that fits this category on the weekend).

I have only managed a few 100km rides a few weeks pre the event and that has been enough, so what you have planned sounds quite adequate. Also try out clothing on longer rides ie knicks, and get the layers right for all sorts of weather (last year a case in point).

Good luck with preparations!

cheers

peter

DamoH

Postby DamoH » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Last year was my first ATB, and for those tackling it for the first time I was riding 60kms twice a week to and from work, and also did 2 x 100+ rides. I'm no speed demon, but did it all on my own at an average of about 28 - 30kms.

I found that the saddle took a relatively short time to get used to ride, but for the first timers, start working on your neck and shoulder muscles. I was very sore across my shoulder blades and neck once I'd finished, simply because I was looking up the whole time. If you are on a mountain bike you are in a more upright position, but on a road bike, it tends to be more strenuous on your neck.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I've been trying to take every opportunity I get to put some more km's into the legs (whether that be out in the wide blue yonder or in the garage on the fluid trainer - weather dependant).
Clocked up 190km's for the week last week which included a commute to and from work (35km each way), and also 100km's on the weekend (75km ride on Sat, 25km on trainer on Sun).

Felt fine after three hours on the bike on Saturday, though I know this is a far cry from the 8+ hours for the 210km ride...but it's a start.
I can still remember a few months ago even an hour on the bike would have me stiff, sore and feeling sorry for myself - so something is improving!

I also rode in my first group ride on Saturday (with the local club) which was really different. It took a little bit to get used to riding in such close formation but it certainly made the km's and time just fly by (thinking about everyone around you instead of just yourself and how you're feeling). The 50+ km/h attack at the end was also fun - which of course I got dropped like a bag of potatoes...LOL (though in my defense I wasn't ready for it and by the time I got going the pack was well ahead)

I'm looking forward to the better weather so I can really ramp up the longer distance rides and get out there more often (both in club and solo rides).

Now that I'm starting to see (and feel) improvement it is making me want to do it more and more.
Dave

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Here are the recommended training programs from the BV site, http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... des/94470/

I love this time of year, just over 3 months to go so everyone (with any sense) starts to up the training for the ATB. This year I am doing more 50Km mid week rides and I have started heading into the Dandenongs for some hill work which I am really enjoying, its not at all like the ATB terrain but it is damn hard work and a great workout. The more miles in the legs and on the seat now will make the day a much nicer event. Good luck all with your training.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Decided to do an 80km ride today which involved about 10km of around 1-3% gradient and then another 8-10km's (straight after) at around 6% gradient. Combined with a near 30km/h headwind and it was a huge challenge for me.
On the steepest sections I was in my lowest gear (34/25) and just kept on grinding until I got to the top....only to find it kept going, and going, and going.
As much as I wanted to give up, stop, lay down and surrender I kept battling on and didnt stop once (which I am very proud of)....there's something to be said for mind over matter!

I also tried eating alot more throughout the ride and over the 3+ hrs I took in 2 jam sandwiches, 2 bananas, 2 muesli/nut bars and about 1.5L water (obviously not all at once) and I never felt like I was running out of energy.

The bike felt good and no real saddle soreness at all. With all the tweaking I've done making adjustments to the bike it has paid off and I think I have it setup to suit how I like it, finally.

Next step is a 100km ride but I might keep this one relatively flat this time around (and hopefully without another 30km/h headwind)...LOL...though I know riding in these conditions is only for the better so I just try and block it out of my mind and battle on through it.

Still a long way way from the 200km but I'm hoping with patience and persistence I'll eventually build up to it and be on track for the ATB in late Oct.

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:16 pm

I decided to do a double up last weekend (30/6 & 1/7) to see how I back up

On the Saturday I did my usual 60km in pretty good time. The Sunday I did 106km and while hard work I finished well. This ride was from my place to the Basin, up the 1:20 and down to Montrose into Camberwell and back to Lilydale

The legs were sore for a few days but I did Karate on Monday and managed to run again on the Wednesday. Last Friday I did a test for the half marathon I have the week before the ARB and ran 20.97km (D'oH, should have gone an extra 30m) and could have run today but had a late night watching TDF/F1/MotoGP

So I am confident 2 days after my half I will be able to get on a bike and my eating plan is almost settled to eating something every 45 to 60 min and something more than a gel every 3 hrs

Next big ride is approx 150km on the flat later this month
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Great stuff YVP.....sounds like our F75's are getting a decent workout at the moment!

Dave

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 pm

I clocked up my 2nd 100km ride today with no problems.. Could of gone further if I had more water... Clocked it in at 3hrs 33mins