Orange - rides?

Stickybeak

Orange - rides?

Postby Stickybeak » Thu May 31, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm spending the long weekend in Orange and I'm trying to plan my riding.....the local maps dont suggest much in the way of continuous bike tracks or anything like that.
I need to do about 70-100 k's each day - any suggestions and thanks for your help.

silkishuge

Re: Orange - rides?

Postby silkishuge » Thu May 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Stickybeak wrote:I'm spending the long weekend in Orange and I'm trying to plan my riding.....the local maps dont suggest much in the way of continuous bike tracks or anything like that.
I need to do about 70-100 k's each day - any suggestions and thanks for your help.
There is a Saturday groupride with the Orange Cycling Club starts 7.05am
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163162977
It starts at Jack Braebam Park in Orange. If you look at the map, it is my ride to the meeting point ~ 40km from Molong. The start point is at the car park of the park which runs parallel to the train tracks in Orange. Near Ashly St. There is a small building and football field in the park.

There is a pre-ride option which goes to Canobolas via Pinnacle Rd to meet at the start point. It starts at 5.50am.

Another Ride I like is this one
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/171502834
It takes you through Amaroo Rd and Borenore Rd. Good for cycling. You can do the reverse.

Bowen Park Rd is quite a nice ride too, but not by yourself. Blind spots and tricky descents. Its a nice 340m climb over 6.5 km. Do repeats.

Another place for repeats is up Canobolas to the look out than down the mountain and up Pinnacle Rd. Down Pinnacle rd and up Canobolas. You will do about 400m of climbing over 5km of climbing steady 10% to 15% gradient respectively for each route.

Its cold now so dress appropriately. Typically -3 to 0 in the mornings.

There are alot of other routes around Molong as well. You can ride to Dubbo via Cumnock and Yeoval. Euchareena Road is great. Very quiet with 4 or 5 cars in peak hour traffic.

Jon

Stickybeak

Orange - rides?

Postby Stickybeak » Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Very helpful.
I must say I was expecting cold but that's freakin cold....
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Thu May 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Stickybeak wrote:Very helpful.
I must say I was expecting cold but that's freakin cold....
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Main thing is beanie, shoe covers and winter gloves. Everything warms up after a while. Once the sun comes up, its not too cold. You will get used to it. I still ride every morning. :D

Jon

Stickybeak

Postby Stickybeak » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Is the road to Blayney Ok for bikes?
Or i was thinking that the Mitchell Highway down to Millthorpe Rd(?) then across to Forest Rd is more the sort of grades I can cope with. is there a shoulder and are the a lot of trucks????