This tent is made for camping...

elStado

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby elStado » Wed May 09, 2012 7:14 pm

m@ wrote:OK, so you need to seam-seal the fly - this involves setting the tent up then painting the seams on the fly with a slurry of turps and silicone. TarpTent can do this for you for a price but it's pretty straightforward and easy to do yourself - about a two-hour job. It's also worth painting some patches on the inside of the tent floor as it's quite slippery.
I have no issues doing this myself providing it is straight forward enough to do. Silicone sealer is $4.50 from TT, so not a major cost.
They do recommend you add two extra guylines to the guy points on the pole; if you wanted to do this you'd need two extra pegs and a bit of guyline. Personally I haven't bothered but might at some point
Does this just make it a bit more stable in stronger winds? The 2ft guyline for side pull-outs it only $1 a piece, I assume this is the correct length? Or do I get the 4ft guyline?
TarpTent wrote:Ultralight guyline cord with a highly reflective sheath and a SpectraR 900 core. Standard 2-foot section works for side pullouts. Four-foot section works for Scarp and Hogback arch sleeve pullouts. Six-foot section works for Scarp and Hogback canopy pullouts as well as apex pullouts on all other vertical front pole tents.
Additionally aluminium 6" pegs $2 each or $3.25 for 6.5" Ti pegs. Not much of an extra cost but if it isn't necessary it'd be good to do without the extra gear and weight.
The only other thing I've bought is some Tyvek to use as a groundsheet, you can buy this from TarpTent already cut to size or track down a scrap and cut it yourself. Probably not strictly necessary unless you're camping on very sharp rocks or thorny bushes etc, but also helps to keep the tent clean.
Only costs $12 for a piece cut to size, probably worth it just to have on hand depending on the terrain. I assume that I'll mainly be camping on grass, beach/river sand and leafy forest floor.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

itchy-feet

Postby itchy-feet » Sun May 13, 2012 12:13 pm

I've noticed a lot of people talking about using the Hilleberg Soulo for touring. I am soon to get one for my bushwalking adventures, but I am not sure if I should use it for touring too. I would think something bigger would be needed, e.g. an Allak. Just for the sake of a more roomy place to live, especially on long tours. The soulo is a great bomb proof tent, but not much living space really.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 13, 2012 1:32 pm

itchy-feet wrote:I've noticed a lot of people talking about using the Hilleberg Soulo for touring. I am soon to get one for my bushwalking adventures, but I am not sure if I should use it for touring too. I would think something bigger would be needed, e.g. an Allak. Just for the sake of a more roomy place to live, especially on long tours. The soulo is a great bomb proof tent, but not much living space really.
It depends on how you use it, but no 1-person tent is a palace. I've been more than happy with my Soulo, I've found it roomy enough even on wet days when I've been stuck inside. And I can fit my four panniers in the vestibule. But I don't base camp with it - it's used purely for overnight shelter.

The Allak employs my preferred tent design and I agonised long and hard between it and the Soulo, but my issue with the Allak is its weight. I already have a very similarly designed 3kg 2-person tent, but don't want to carry it for my type of usage.

The new 3-season Rogen may be a better choice. It's not quite my preferred design, but at 2.1 kg it weighs 100 gm less than the Soulo and has all the features I'd expect from a Hilleberg. However I find the price difficult to justify given it's a 3-season tent.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 pm

elStado wrote:
m@ wrote:That's a pretty sharp price for the HH though, IF Moontrail will ship MSR products to Aus... You'd need the 'HP' (solid inner) version for comparible 4-season performance to the Scarp though (likewise the Scarp might be less stable than the HH without the crossing poles - though personally I've found it rock-solid in some pretty ordinary conditions without them).
Can any existing TT owners offer comment on the inner? I am going to be camping in possibly wet and windy conditions, min temps hovering around 4-8 degrees C most days. I originally though of just getting the mesh inner (if I were to get the TT) as it would be more suitable for Aussie temps (especially here in WA). Surely if I have a good mattress (Exped Synmat 7 UL is on my short list) and sleeping bag I should be OK with the mesh inner in temps above 0 degrees C?
I was quite happy with my tarptent with mesh inner until I hit Norseman. Sand got in everywhere due to sandy tent grounds and high winds. But I was more unhappy with the campgrounds than I was with the tent. Kicked myself 15km further down the road from Norseman was another town with $7 camping. As long as everything is sealed sand won't get in it. Am considering seeing if I can get the sealed inner as it should compact down small enough.

With the seam sealing, make sure you seal all exterior seams. Polishbiker found out the hardway when he was on tour and tent started to leak. Andrew (aushiker) also suggested to me to put silicone on tent floor to stop things sliding around. OFC this was after my tour :)

It stood up to high winds very well as I was commonly pitching my tent in 40-50kph winds on tour.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

This tent is made for camping...

Postby RonK » Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Is there really any need to seal tent seams now? I've not done it on any tent purchases in the last 10 years, and have not had any leaks even the worst of weather.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 pm

The Macpac Celeste I bought back in about 1995 had seams that were not sealed and they included a bottle of seam-sealer and instructions on how to do it. However the three tents I have bought since then all had seams that were sealed - never did any seam sealing and they are all perfectly dry.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 pm

RonK wrote:Is there really any need to seal tent seams now? I've not done it on any tent purchases in the last 10 years, and have not had any leaks even the worst of weather.
Meh. What's $4.5 for a tube of seam seal and an hour of your time for a little extra peace of mind while out on tour?

I think. I've decided on the Scarp 2. Just seems like too nice of a tent to pass up. Pity about the AUD$ though. Should cost around $450 AUD all up delivered. The way the property market is here in Perth it seems like I might need it once I get back from Europe as I am ending my current house lease before I leave and have no idea where I'll be living once I get back. :?

itchy-feet

Postby itchy-feet » Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm

RonK wrote:Is there really any need to seal tent seams now? I've not done it on any tent purchases in the last 10 years, and have not had any leaks even the worst of weather.
I recently had (now sold) a Macpac Minaret, it wasn't seam sealed anywhere. It came with the sealer, so I did it, but the few seams I didn't seal did leak.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 pm

itchy-feet wrote:
I recently had (now sold) a Macpac Minaret, it wasn't seam sealed anywhere. It came with the sealer, so I did it, but the few seams I didn't seal did leak.
This morning my wife exited the Overland Track, where she endured a 3-day blizzard and was forced to camp at Pine Forest Moor between the Windmere and New Pelion huts. She had elected to take my Wilderness Equipment Dart 2 instead of her old Macpac Minaret. Despite heavy rain the Dart 2 did not leak - but I had never applied the tube of seam sealer that it came with. Seemed a waste of time trying to put seam sealer on a silnylon tent. And it makes a mess. I haven't sealed my Hilleberg either, and it withstood west coast NZ rain without leaks.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 18, 2012 11:45 am

Polishbiker started his tour and was camping down south of Perth when it started to rain and his tent leaked where he hadn't seam sealed it. I had sealed mine, so promptly sealed the areas he had leaks from as well. My tent is yet to face rain tho. But need to put lines on the floor of silicone to stop sleeping mat slipping when your asleep and crashing into the wall :roll:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Polishbiker started his tour and was camping down south of Perth when it started to rain and his tent leaked where he hadn't seam sealed it. I had sealed mine, so promptly sealed the areas he had leaks from as well. My tent is yet to face rain tho. But need to put lines on the floor of silicone to stop sleeping mat slipping when your asleep and crashing into the wall :roll:
Oh, what brand and model of tents were they, so I can remember never to buy one? Tarptent Scarp was it?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 18, 2012 9:22 pm

RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Polishbiker started his tour and was camping down south of Perth when it started to rain and his tent leaked where he hadn't seam sealed it. I had sealed mine, so promptly sealed the areas he had leaks from as well. My tent is yet to face rain tho. But need to put lines on the floor of silicone to stop sleeping mat slipping when your asleep and crashing into the wall :roll:
Oh, what brand and model of tents were they, so I can remember never to buy one? Tarptent Scarp was it?
Yep
All tarptents are not seam sealed.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun May 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
RonK wrote:
Yep
All tarptents are not seam sealed.
Just bought a Scarp 2 with mesh interior and cross poles, plus silicon sealant for $4.50.

Shouldn't be an issue. Though it would be nice if they just sealed it out of the shop rather than charging extra ($25) for it.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu May 31, 2012 11:19 pm

Just got my TT Scarp 2 in the mail this afternoon. Will try and set it up on the grass this weekend if the weather permits. :D

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am

good choice, its an awesome tent indeed.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok got the tent is set up, I'm wanting to seam seal it but I have no idea what to use as a thinner for the silicone. The instructions say to use 'mineral spirits'. We have some methylated spirits and some mineral turpentine here that we can use. Will using either of these cause damage to the tent fly? The instructions also say you can use Coleman fuel or white gas buy we don't have any. Taptent didn't provide any scrap bits of material to test on.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:12 pm

elStado wrote:The instructions also say you can use Coleman fuel or white gas buy we don't have any.
That is common old shellite - highly refined petrol. Of your other two choices I'd suggest methylated spirits as likely to be less harmful, but I'm no expert.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:46 pm

I did a small test batch using mmineral turps and the silicone on the seams on the peg bag. It doesn't seem to have damaged the material and it mixed in with the silicone pretty nicely to a smooth consistency. Might make a trip to the hardware store and see if they have some shellite as I really am worried about causing damage.

The fly has a small hole in it near one of the pole straps. Noticed it just after I took it out of the box. It's about 2mm long and 1mm wide. Pretty annoying as this is brand new and they didn't even pack in some spare bits of fabric to make repairs (even though it is mentioned in the instructions).

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:05 pm

elStado wrote: I did a small test batch using mmineral turps and the silicone on the seams on the peg bag. It doesn't seem to have damaged the material and it mixed in with the silicone pretty nicely to a smooth consistency. Might make a trip to the hardware store and see if they have some shellite as I really am worried about causing damage.

The fly has a small hole in it near one of the pole straps. Noticed it just after I took it out of the box. It's about 2mm long and 1mm wide. Pretty annoying as this is brand new and they didn't even pack in some spare bits of fabric to make repairs (even though it is mentioned in the instructions).
Hey

Well the fabric is sil-nylon in other words silicone over nylon. So silicone is the best for it.

I noticed that in the instructions as well and asked. Don't have email as it's on my dead computer currently but I think it is what it was said. Get some nylon and just put silicone over it :roll:

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:16 pm

What did you you to mix with the silicone when seam sealing Baalza?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm

elStado wrote:What did you you to mix with the silicone when seam sealing Baalza?

Franco is the Australian agent for Tarptent.

Andrew
Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks Andrew. I'll watch that now. I've emailed both Henry and Franco about seam sealing and the hole in the fly. Awaiting a reply.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:06 pm

elStado wrote:What did you you to mix with the silicone when seam sealing Baalza?
I went to Mainpeak and spotted some sealent which was ready so just bought that

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
I went to Mainpeak and spotted some sealent which was ready so just bought that
Just finished seam sealing a little while ago. Used mineral turpentine at a ratio of 1:2 silicone/turps which Franco confirmed was safe & effective to use. I'll also have a pack of patches sent out soon, it should have come with the tent. This tent is pretty awesome once set up, aside from the hole in the fly I'm very happy with it.

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm

just picked up a macpac minaret, will update when i've had a chance to test it out