TDF travel

hoon

TDF travel

Postby hoon » Thu May 31, 2012 10:16 am

Hello everybody,
I'm hoping somebody out there can offer some advice. I'll be over in Europe in a months time and hoping to chase some of the Tour stages while I'm there. I've picked the city of Pau for accommodation as stages 15 and 16 roll through there. One of the mountain climbs on stage 15 is 30kms away from the hotel. What would be the best way to get there (without hiring a car)? Anyone know how the public transport is? I can ride a bike but a) it would be tough work and b) I don't really want to look after the bike the whole time. Thoughts? Thank you.

toofat

Re: TDF travel

Postby toofat » Thu May 31, 2012 12:59 pm

I am also going over, staying in Foix but am taking the bike,
there would be others driving up who might have space in their vehicles, put up a notice in your hotel or accomodation, ask at a local bike shop, contact a local cycling club or as a last resort hitch hiking with a sign in french, lift required to stae 15,. Iwas going to hire a car for the pyrenees stages but i dont want to spend two thirds of my time there stuck in traffic, so its harden up and get on the bike for me

hoon

Postby hoon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the insight. I'd figure there would be plenty of people headed there, but ideally would like to have something more concrete so I don't have to rely so much on others. Oh well, bike it might be.

toolonglegs

TDF travel

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 pm

I will also be there :-) . But I don't know the region very well. But I do know how the tour works pretty well. If there are local trains that get you closer to the climb you could try that otherwise public transport is probably out.
My advice would be get fit enough that you can ride it... You will be with 100's of other riders most likely off all levels and you will have bucket loads of time.
Take everything you need as there is very little on some of the climbs and once the caravan comes through an hour or so before the race you just need to sit and wait. Often the roads to the biggest climbs completely close to traffic many hours before the caravan comes through, but you never know.
Also f you are worried about riding 30 km's each way plus getting up a 20 km climb... Just remember you are not obliged to climb all the way up ... You can relax on the lower slopes ;-) .

hoon

Postby hoon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 am

toolonglegs wrote:I will also be there :-) . But I don't know the region very well. But I do know how the tour works pretty well. If there are local trains that get you closer to the climb you could try that otherwise public transport is probably out.
My advice would be get fit enough that you can ride it... You will be with 100's of other riders most likely off all levels and you will have bucket loads of time.
Take everything you need as there is very little on some of the climbs and once the caravan comes through an hour or so before the race you just need to sit and wait. Often the roads to the biggest climbs completely close to traffic many hours before the caravan comes through, but you never know.
Also f you are worried about riding 30 km's each way plus getting up a 20 km climb... Just remember you are not obliged to climb all the way up ... You can relax on the lower slopes ;-) .
Fitness shouldn't be a problem, although I have no idea what the slopes are like. Problem is I'm coming from the other way for stage 15, so have to climb all the way to the top and out the other side :P Were you staying in Pau as well?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:48 am

Don't know much about my 2nd tour yet... have only seen the details for the first 10 days of the TDF. All I know for now is the train I have to catch to Toulouse :D . But never been in the big hills down south so really looking forward to it!.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My advice would be get fit enough that you can ride it... You will be with 100's of other riders most likely off all levels and you will have bucket loads of time.
Amen to this. There is no train line running from Pau up towards Laruns where the turnoff to the Col d'Aubisque climb is (I guess this is the one you want to watch). There might be buses (although I searched and didn't find any). Even if they were running there would be massive disruption due to the Tour so you couldn't rely on them.

On ya bike! Just go slow and you'll get there. You don't need to go all the way to the top anyway to get a good spot or a view.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:46 pm

as others have said, ride a bike, it will be a lot easier than you expect and it will really add to your enjoyment of the whole experience, from pau you could head out early and ride on the exact same roads the tour will follow! what a buzz!

eg: i rode up port de bales and then the peyresourde the other day, same direction that the tour will be going in this year in stage 17.

traffic was a nightmare (as you can see in the pic), but knowing that in a month or so the tour will follow that same route was really cool.

view from the near the top was great too

:mrgreen:
inflammatory statement or idea

toofat

Postby toofat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Australian cyclist, left side of the road
French cows, correct side of the road :D

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 pm

toofat wrote:Australian cyclist, left side of the road
French cows, correct side of the road :D
that was actually a scottish cyclist and you can partially see an english cyclist.

and we were overtaking, hence correct side of the road for us. :D
inflammatory statement or idea