Garmin Edge 500

esky64

Garmin Edge 500

Postby esky64 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 am

My edge 500 has worked find for a year or so, I decided last night to do a firmware ver3 upgrade now I have a dead computer has anyone got any help please
Hillbrick Custom Build, Shimano Ultegra 6500 Group Dura ace hubs. Velocity A23 rims
New Gillies or Baum Custom on the way

DuncanS

Garmin Edge 500

Postby DuncanS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:43 am

Power on, wait about twenty minutes til it switches off. Repeat twice more. Then it will spring back to life and report the new firmware level.

Seriously!

I read two such reports on weightweenies. Did the firmware upgrade myself and had exactly the same thing happen.

esky64

Re: Garmin Edge 500

Postby esky64 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 am

DuncanS wrote:Power on, wait about twenty minutes til it switches off. Repeat twice more. Then it will spring back to life and report the new firmware level.
I can't even get power on
Hillbrick Custom Build, Shimano Ultegra 6500 Group Dura ace hubs. Velocity A23 rims

DuncanS

Garmin Edge 500

Postby DuncanS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 am

Ouch! All I could suggest then is plug it back into the computer and see if the USB connection brings some life out of it. Failing that, get on to Garmin support...

esky64

Postby esky64 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 pm

DuncanS wrote:Ouch! All I could suggest then is plug it back into the computer and see if the USB connection brings some life out of it. Failing that, get on to Garmin support...
I think it might be garmin support I've plug into usb nothing
Only if polar had then a computer that would work with my powertap and work on the indoor trainer

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:00 am

From the Release Notes:
Please note that the Edge 500 must scan all files stored on the device during the first power up after this update. This process can take a substantial amount of time for users with a large number of files on their device. To improve the response time, please remove older activity files from your device.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Mine took quite a long time to get going after the upgrade but it seemed to come good, although GC was still telling me to upgrade next time it was connected. We'll see what happens next time. But when it froze a couple of months ago, I did a hard reset and it worked perfectly - simultaneously power, menu and reset. So if that's the problem, might be worth a try.

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Only recently purchased an Edge 500 myself. Does Garmin notify via email..etc when there is an update?
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm

I know nothing about the Edge, but are you able to remove the battery? If so remove it and leave it out for a few seconds, then replace it and see if it fires up.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

esky64

Postby esky64 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks to garmin and there lack of answering a support call
I found connect the edge 500 to computer hold down the 4 keys at once it will boot maybe I can do a manual update and it will fix the problem
when it starts
Validating update
loading loader
then dead again

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but is there any reason why you would need to update firmware if the unit it working precisely as it should?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

esky64

Postby esky64 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:20 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but is there any reason why you would need to update firmware if the unit it working precisely as it should?
Ment to have better power meter workings

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:24 pm

hosko wrote:Only recently purchased an Edge 500 myself. Does Garmin notify via email..etc when there is an update?
Notification is via a panel on the dashboard.
rpm, as you do the update it lists the changes - mostly fixing issues which I haven't noticed but sometimes added functionality for new power meters etc.
GraemeL, you can't remove the battery; it's an onboard rechargeable.
OP, I've only done the hard reset without it cabled to the computer. Good luck.

RonK

Garmin Edge 500

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:40 pm

esky64 wrote:Thanks to garmin and there lack of answering a support call
I found connect the edge 500 to computer hold down the 4 keys at once it will boot maybe I can do a manual update and it will fix the problem
when it starts
Validating update
loading loader
then dead again
Typical - sounds like Garmin has still not cleaned up its act. After my experience with the Edge 305 I will NEVER buy another Garmin product.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:07 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but is there any reason why you would need to update firmware if the unit it working precisely as it should?
Well, I am hoping they have finally resolved the problems with the Courses feature. MInd you, they have been saying the Courses feature is working properly since firmware 2.4, but still no luck! Will give it another go and see if it is any better, or whether Garmin are just doing the fixes by trial & error.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Did the Firmware 3.0 upgrade today (from 2.80). Deleted my Activity HIstory first, then ran the updater. Device Upgrade took 3 minutes from start to finish, no issues wih the GPS so far.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Did the upgrade a couple of days ago. No issues until today. It would power on but nothing on the screen. Backlight would work and activities could be started/stopped etc. Tried a couple of times with same result. Ended up plugging it into the pc and it came good.

No idea what happened. Hoping release 3.0.1 is just around the corner...

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:00 am

I don't often go to the Garmin site, since I got strava...

But I am finding over the last week or so, the device is VERY slow to find the satellites - 5-10 minutes. And early in the ride it doesn't track the route properly.

One day when I changed wheels (so no magnet), I was consistently getting no readings at all. I might try the upgrade, but frankly I suspect the 500 is slowly dying... I might try the upgrade.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:29 am

Ozkaban wrote:Did the upgrade a couple of days ago. No issues until today. It would power on but nothing on the screen. Backlight would work and activities could be started/stopped etc. Tried a couple of times with same result. Ended up plugging it into the pc and it came good.

No idea what happened. Hoping release 3.0.1 is just around the corner...
Just did the same thing again today. Rode in with the screen off.

Came good again at work.

Stupid bloody thing. Garmin *really* had better fix this soon.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Appreciate the feedback on firmware reasons.

But in saying that it looks like some of you guys are encountering issues with reliability etc. How often does this occur?

Would you buy a Edge 500 again if you had to do it all over?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 pm

I've had exactly the same problem with a "dead" or "brick" unit after installing the Version 3.0 update. The unit was working just fine with Version 2.8, but after receiving notification of the latest update I thought I should supposedly do the right thing and update etc. How I now wish I hadn't....

After successfully installing the update it won't power on at all unless I do a manual reboot, which then results in a "SOFTWARE MISSING" message.

I've since tried to reload the Version 3.0 upgrade, and keep encountering an error message stating that the update file is corrupt.

I then rang Garmin Australia Support and they e-mailed me the Updater2 Program and RGN file, which is supposed to restore the Connector Drives in the unit and then update the Firmware to Version 3.0. Despite following the enclosed instructions to the exact letter it simply won't work; when trying to run the Updater2 Program I get a Runtime Error message.

I then range Garmin Australia Support again, and they advised me to send the unit in for repair and/or replacement with an overhauled device.

I've since spoken to the retailer that I originally bought the unit from and he's agreed to have a look at it and if he's unable to repair it he'll then send it onto Garmin Australia.

I do love my Garmin and it's various features, but in hindsight I'm not sure that I need to actually keep track of my progress and performance using online tools such as Garmin Connect and/or Strava. If I had my time again I would probably purchase a Polar as a good mate has one and reports that it is refreshingly simple and reliable to use. Assuming that my Garmin either gets repaired or replaced I won't be loading any Firmware updates in future unless I really need it.

It kinda sucks not having a computer this long weekend as I was planning a number of rides. Still, it's the perfect excuse to just get out there and ride based on feel rather than being obsessed with stats and performance.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:39 pm

rogan wrote:But I am finding over the last week or so, the device is VERY slow to find the satellites - 5-10 minutes. And early in the ride it doesn't track the route properly. .
Sounds like you have been using the unit for awhile and the satellite almanac has got full/corrupted etc. I had this problem in the past week. Basically you need to backup your settings etc then do a hard reset (not via the menu).

Should, fingers crossed, fix the problem. Garmin knowledge base has the details on the fix.

Andrew

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:19 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Thanks for the reply guys. Appreciate the feedback on firmware reasons.

But in saying that it looks like some of you guys are encountering issues with reliability etc. How often does this occur?

Would you buy a Edge 500 again if you had to do it all over?
Short answer: Sure. The reliability issues have been to do with the software, which while it's very annoying the unit itself is still very good at what it does.

I've been in IT for long enough, and an 'early adopter' of plenty of devices. Most have been great but I've had a few that were dogs reliability wise (Palm Pilot from the early 2000's springs to mind). The Garmin certainly isn't one of those dogs, and I'm happy enough to troubleshoot the occasional issue. Bodgy firmware releases aren't exactly rare either though there's no excuse for them...

hosko

Postby hosko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Just checked my new unit and it is on 2.8... from what it sounds like, don't upgrade the firmware just yet
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Would you buy a Edge 500 again if you had to do it all over?
Yep. Two years in all weather and only had that problem once. I find the updater a bit circular but that's all. If buying a replacement I would seriously consider one with maps now though; I don't like the bigger size but if the maps were easier than the phone and still had good battery life I might do it.