Weird Knee Popping

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ozstriker

Weird Knee Popping

Postby ozstriker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Gday guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I have had this problem with my right knee for years and its giving me the royal craps at the moment.

I have to emphasize i have never injured my knees had any significant pain in my knees so i dont think i have any 'damage' or anything terribly worrying.

On the inside of my knee down the bottom corner i get this crazy clunking sound, some days are worse than others and usually happens when i have completely folded my leg up and am trying to unfold it, eg doing a quad stretch, when i straighten my knee again it will clunk, HOWEVER the weird thing is if i hold the stretch and bring my knee up so it is pointing straight ahead then unfold it it doesnt happen.

Also sitting cross legged it feels really tight where said clunking occurs. I have felt where the clunking happens and it doesnt feel anywhere near where my knee cap is so i dont think its a tracking problem.

To me it almost feels like a muscle is moving over a joint then when i straighten my leg it snaps back.

Anyone else with this.... ideas???

Meditator

Re: Weird Knee Popping

Postby Meditator » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:49 am

That's probably what it is. ie the muscle. Why don't you just ask your doctor what it is next time you are there.

Dr_Mutley

Weird Knee Popping

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:09 am

Where exactly?
Common causes of medial knee "popping" are:
Patella tracking issues
Medial head of gastrocnemius insertion enthesiopathies
Pes anseurinus bursitis
Hamstring insertion enthesiopathies
Medial meniscal issues

ozstriker

Re: Weird Knee Popping

Postby ozstriker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Ive uploaded some pics to give you a better idea.

This is where i feel the discomfort stretch when i sit cross legged.
Right up around that knobby bit, which is also where i feel like its clunking around the top of the circle i have drawn

And what else is interesting is that this knobby bit on my right knee where the problem is, is alot bigger/knobbier than the left??? i thought it may have something to do with it.