cyclists seeing red over bike traffic lights

find_bruce

cyclists seeing red over bike traffic lights

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 am

Another good article in todays herald cyclists seeing red over bike traffic lights

& it quotes some bloke called Omar

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: cyclists seeing red over bike traffic lights

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am

When can we expect to see insurance cover for this Go! Alliance? Money in hand for annual membership now.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 am

The council is definately aware of the issue - as I also raised in an extensive submission regarding the proposed George St cycleway. Its good to see that the logical progress of investigating it more scientifically (well more scientifically than merely collecting submissions) is continuing - as nothing short of being forced into a corner will cause the RMS to prioritise traffic systems for anything other than cars.

They really will be a lot more usable if the signalised intersection priorities are sorted out properly, and signal disobedience would drop significantly too.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 am

trailgumby wrote:Image
Jacob Saulwick, SMH wrote:Widespread confusion ... Susan Goodwin says the downside to the cycleways is riders aren't always able to trigger the traffic lights.
See more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-seei ... z1wxYNdlc1

All I can say is... go Omar!
Sorry TG - I liked your post better bt it seemsmy humble effort fell over the line first
hannos wrote:Omar is at it again! Well done!

So where's BNSW and their advocacy?
A BNSW spokesmuppet said "Advocacy, what is this advocacy you speak of?"

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 am

Already lots of the same stupid comments. I really hate online newspaper comment sections, seems that only the worst people in the world use them most of the time.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am

find_bruce wrote:A BNSW spokesmuppet said "Advocacy, what is this advocacy you speak of?"
Is this what you mean?

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 am

AndrewBurns wrote:Already lots of the same stupid comments. I really hate online newspaper comment sections, seems that only the worst people in the world use them most of the time.
Added to that the SMH moderator nazi filter posting what they want to post. Truth in the media never existed.

But to my point, I stop at the lights when I approach one and all those that complain that cyclist don't can go jump because I do.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:22 am

SmellyTofu wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:Already lots of the same stupid comments. I really hate online newspaper comment sections, seems that only the worst people in the world use them most of the time.
Added to that the SMH moderator nazi filter posting what they want to post. Truth in the media never existed.

But to my point, I stop at the lights when I approach one and all those that complain that cyclist don't can go jump because I do.
Isn't this the same paper that complained about revenue raising when it came to booking drivers who were caught by red light cameras?

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 am

Well, I share the driver's frustration too because it's like driving in Victoria. I spend more time looking at the speedo than the road whenever I pass those unsafety cameras at the intersections. If I do approach one and I know if it's going to change (which you do by knowing the phasing of the lights), I'd drop the speed down so that I will need to stop when the lights change.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
find_bruce wrote:A BNSW spokesmuppet said "Advocacy, what is this advocacy you speak of?"
Is this what you mean?
Close, but when I asked,
BNSW spokesmuppet wrote:If you are looking for a good advocate, we recommend
:D :D :D

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm

yeah that was the research I did :)

Issues with triggering - 99% of the time were due to people not stopping on the sensor, i think about twice on Bourke St they didnt trigger when they should have.
people just didnt stop anywhere near the sensors time after time - it really was that simple.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:19 pm

What I find most interesting about this article is there is a really simple solution to this problem, that we do in Brisbane.
We install a push button on a post facing the cyclist. If the sensor does not detect him/her they can hit the button so the light does change for them, simple.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

maestro

Postby maestro » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

SKM did a study of bicycle detection methods...
SKM Report

The one on page 8 looks nice (induction loops that cause a "reassurance light" to light up when a cyclist has been detected, plus a button in case they weren't detected - as well as a rail to hold.)

The traffic light set at the bottom left of page 11 looks to be getting a bit too complicated, though.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:15 pm

I like the system in place at the west end of the overpass on Footscray Road.

The green bike stays up until a car hits the loop and then they red out for a little while. There's a button for bikes if you want to hurry up the process of the rightful order being restored.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

I gotta admit I saw the works and was more than a little put out. Footscray Rd path is a great route, and I thought a bottleneck was in the making. Me first post commissioning run had the jaw resting on the top tube as I rolled down the descent to a green bike, I've only had to stop twice 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011