Vander's Tour to Canberra

twizzle

Re: Vander's Tour to Canberra

Postby twizzle » Tue May 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Bring your 'cross tyres, word is that it will be past end-of-tarmac and out to Picadilly Circus.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 25, 2012 8:59 am

Ross wrote:28th Canberra Tour dates are scheduled for 28th, 29th and 30th September.
That makes it a few days before the Australian Masters Championships
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Ross wrote:28th Canberra Tour dates are scheduled for 28th, 29th and 30th September.
That makes it a few days before the Australian Masters Championships
Ouch! I can already feel the pain. The race is going to be just that little bit quicker in the masters divisions with competitors probably flying in early to do both races.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

rotating2

Postby rotating2 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:05 pm

And a week after Kurrajong!! more pain :-)

Awesome thread vander!!
Reflects the ups and downs of training and racing. For the short time you've been riding you are doing well with more improvement to come. Age is on your side too ;-)
Good luck!

Mark

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

vander

Postby vander » Fri May 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Cheers rotating, there have definitely been some ups and downs. Week after Kurrajong makes it the perfect time to peak :). It is proving to be a little tough to get to Australian uni games as they want the riders to be members of Sydney uni velo and I am not that keen on changing clubs as I am happy with where I am at. Big weekend planned of lots of riding and racing at Oakville, had a bit of an average week not feeling the best on the bike cant pinpoint why just not feeling super strong.

vander

Postby vander » Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 pm

So a good weekend. Still carrying what seems like a never ending cold (I think) but have started to ride properly again finally. Yesterday I raced Oakville and rode an hour either side of if to get 3 hours in. The race was a fun race. A small field of 10 in B grade and no A grade (assuming this is because of sydney road titles) meant that we were the cream of the crop :) . Was a good race early I had 1 or 2 little attempts to go off the front never digging too far into the red. Mostly I just marked moves. With about 4 or 5 laps (of 7) to go a LACC guy went off the front with another guy, I let them go as I was not chasing someone from my club. They were strong and stayed away for something like 2 laps. There end came when my mate tried to jump off the front and bridge on the hill he dragged on guy with him then I sat on another guy as he tried to bridge across. These big moves blew the field apart so I did a bit of work to catch up to the front 2 but it was a waste as when we got there it seemed we had most the field back although we did drop a couple. Then it was status quo for a while till the last time up the hill a few people attacked again I marked the move and just followed wheels up. Along the top on the last lap not many people wanted to work so every time someone swung off leaving me into the wind I would raise the pace just a bit getting a 10-20m gap making people have to bridge up to me, this happened a few times. It resulted in me having to sit on the front all the way down the hill. At the bottom when it goes up a little a strong penrith rider attacked and I marked it straight away, I got this far I wasnt letting anyone go now. He swung off and again I found myself on the front. I sat there at an easy pace with another little effort out of the second last corner to make people have to bridge again. I was on the front all the way to the last corner where I pushed it up a bit up the hill afterwards just to keep the pace up and I was watching over my shoulder waiting for someone to lead out. Finally the strong LACC rider caved and he lead out, I jumped straight on his wheel then came around with about 100m to go to take the win. It was a really fun race and I felt quite good for most the race only going into the red a couple of times. I was surprised at how high my HR was (175avg) as it felt easy. Power numbers were pretty standard even in the sprint I didnt push much, but enough.

Today I was back to a long ride. I did 120km riding around out west and up Bellbird hill. I felt pretty average today just not feeling like I had much. Averaged exactly 300W for the 18min up bellbird not bad seen as though I had another gear (or atleast felt like I did). Was really nice to get out for a good long ride again and to be finally getting some TITS again!

rogan

Postby rogan » Sun May 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Nice riding vander!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon May 28, 2012 3:49 am

A win is win Vander! :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 am

Great riding Vander !!!!!!!
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

rotating2

Postby rotating2 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Nice moves, sweet result vander!!!

I haven't raced Oakville, with some uphill it should suit me. I'm gonna check it out when l get some form back.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

vander

Postby vander » Wed May 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Felt so much better this week on my 2x20s then last week still not the sort of numbers to write home about.
Last week
1st - 269W -177BPM
2nd - 255W - 176BPM
Admittedly I was not feeling the best when I did them but struggled through.
Today
1st - 288W - 175BPM
2nd - 290W - 180BPM
I set myself the goal to negative split and I did, in my second one my second 10min was faster then my first. These werent maximum efforts but they arent far off either. Feels good to be feeling strong again. Now i have LACC group 1 in a few hours better get to bed. Legs are smashed!

vander

Postby vander » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:51 pm

After 2 days of laziness, and weather calling off the races I wanted to do, I decided I had to do something. I made the dumb decision of doing a long session on the trainer. 3 hours on the trainer really hurts!

vander

Postby vander » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Another 2x20 more good results.
1st 20 - 293W
2nd - 318W
I hope there was nothing wrong with the power data if there isnt I am so happy with those numbers :) I checked the calibration afterwards and it was identical to the start of the session so dont know what else it could of been. :) Good number despite having a pretty big bender on the weekend, life is good. No HR data but as my strap seems to have carked it.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

vander wrote:Another 2x20 more good results.
1st 20 - 293W
2nd - 318W
I hope there was nothing wrong with the power data
clearly a faulty PM :P
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Assumed the group rides would be rained out this morning so I didnt set an alarm for them. Then this arvo I regretted my decision so I decided to go out and do my own smash of 5 laps around SOP (well with my mate). It was a smashfest and again I put out awesome numbers. It was in total just short of 40min and my average watts were 302W (335NP), 10min was a very respectable 331W (346NP), and I think I proved yesterday wasnt my powertap stuffing up by my peak 20 being 320W (337NP). Feeling so strong I love it, though I did try and sprint at the end and had nothing! Only hit 1250W but did hold just shy of 1100W for 12sec. :D :D :D

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Holy crap...well done!!! You're starting to fly now :shock: :shock:

Up until now I thought you and I were similar power wise...although I'm about 5kg heavier and 20 years older...been riding for 2 years...but 320 for 20 min and 300 for 40 gives you a really solid 300+ FTP...way beyond me ATM.

I've pulled 1020w for 30 sec though...not sure if I've seen you post that one yet... 8)

Sam

vander

Postby vander » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 am

Strange Rover wrote:Holy crap...well done!!! You're starting to fly now :shock: :shock:

Up until now I thought you and I were similar power wise...although I'm about 5kg heavier and 20 years older...been riding for 2 years...but 320 for 20 min and 300 for 40 gives you a really solid 300+ FTP...way beyond me ATM.

I've pulled 1020w for 30 sec though...not sure if I've seen you post that one yet... 8)

Sam
Thanks :), feeling good, I thought a jump was coming I think its here now.

I guess I have a challenge now :P

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Around 4w per kg Vander at ftp?... ( your 75kgs right? ) ... it is a good feeling when it starts coming back, nice :D .

tiz1974

Postby tiz1974 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:21 pm

hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any ideas ! i spoke to you vander and your mate , in the carpark at oakville, after the last race ! i got dropped on the 3rd lap in B grade, and over the last 2 months, i have been getting dropped in races and now , even in my group rides ! i have very sore legs, almost daily, and especially after rides, as soon as any speed picks up or theres aslight incline, i am out the back door !! i have started seeing a sports massage therapist, and have blood tests !! all my levels are quite good !! i have had to cut back to just 2 or 3 rides a week, and only in small chain ring !! i maybe overtrained, leading up to B2B, and suffered major cramps during the 110kms, and had to jump off and was laying on the ground in agony !! i have been told that possibly my diet (which is not great) and lack of sleep, (6 hours a night) is stopping me recovering !!! i was also told that i could have a salt imbalance, and was told to get some rock salt and use it over 2 weeks ! and see if i improve ! i am 174cms and 81kgs !! would like to be about 74kgs, and i have started changing my eating habits, as of today !! any ideas ?

vander

Postby vander » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:28 am

When the weather turned good today and I had time I had to do a long ride as I didnt know when I would get one in. It was awesome. Smashed it up the first hill (bobbin west) and regretted it for the rest of the ride as I just felt flat after that. Set some good numbers up that first climb however, 9 min 30 (AT) 370W :) It was a new peak wattage all the way from 2min 30 (which was 405W). The rest of the ride was a struggle to put out any real good numbers (over 300) but below that I felt fine, I think my race tomorrow will be tough but I am having Sun off.

@Tiz from what you were describing to me at Oakville I would say see a physio and get them to look at your back it could be very much related to that. Otherwise I hope for your sake its not overtraining that is not pretty.

toolonglegs

Vander's Tour to Canberra

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 am

Tiz.... I wonder if you answered your question already... Bmi of 26.8 / only 6 hours sleep a night / bad diet ... I would fix those 3 things and I bet you would see some improvements.

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Tiz, you did say at oakville that you hadn't changed anything at all on your bike setup, maybe you need to and perhaps as Vander said have a look at your back as perhaps your setup has developed an imbalance. As like you I need to shed a heap of kgs and I'm actually eating fruit daily now:-$

tiz1974

Postby tiz1974 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:30 pm

thanks guys, have changed my eating habits , in the last 2 days, and will continue to stick to it, ive had 2 early nights, and rode parra universe ride today, and felt the worst i have ever felt on a bike !! legs were burning, even on the flat !! got dropped on the great western hgighway, 30kms into the 50kms, and rode in solo !! so i think with better diet, more sleep and i am going to try the rock salt , to see if the theory of salt imbalance has any credence !! i am having a hernia op on the 3rd july, so will be having a couple of weeks off the bike anyway !! which will hopefully help !! very frustrating !!!!

vander

Postby vander » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Never going to get to race. Bloody rain!

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:09 pm

2nd event in a row cancelled. And wife doesn't want me racing on wet track :cry: