Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

Postby backofthebunch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:30 am

G'day,

I haven't posted here for a while, but in the past have got some great advice / feedback from members and am looking for the same again!

I've commited to the Conquer Cancer ride in October (200km over 2 days) on my Single Speed... (2010 Giant Bowery), and I definately require a new wheelset, and may look to upgrade some other parts in order to lose some weight and upgrade from the average stock parts which will have been on the bike 3 years by the time I do the ride.

wheelset - thinking something like Open Pro's
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Mavic-Open-Pro-Black-Rims-32-Hole-Sealed-Bearing-Track-Fixed-Gear-Wheels-/251064193378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a74979162

also thinking BB / crankset could be upgraded... thoughts?

any feed back and ideas will be appreciated
backofthebunch

by BNA » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 pm

BNA

Re: Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

Postby wulfy117 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Good wheels are always a worthwhile investment. On my SS I smashed mainly my wheel bearings and freewheel so I'd be making sure that these were quality. Stock brake calipers were very flexy on mine so upgrading these might be also good ( 105? ).

Ebay wheels are ok much better options for another 1-200. I take it budget is a concern? What do you weigh? After the charity ride will you be doing much distance riding?
wulfy117

Re: Advice for upgrades - Single Speed

Postby backofthebunch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 am

budget is of some concern, however i'd be willing to spend more for something that is worth it. I intend to keep riding the bike, probably more like 50km per weekend and maybe a couple of 25km during the week over summer (hard to find time in winter as i play football). In terms of weight, im probably mid 80's - 84/85 kgs.

as per other post - be good if thread can be merged
backofthebunch

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed