Well waddaya know? New Queensland Boys Club Inc.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Things regarding the Gold Coast Bulletin's news story just got interesting.
It appears that Troy Dobinson (Yellow Jersey) of Cycling Safety Australia (they do exist), the Ipswich lord Mayor Paul Pisasale, the Queensland Transport Minister, and (again they do exist) Ron Nightingale from the Independent Drivers Association are all conspiring to force us to be bike rego here in the Sunshine State.
Mr Nightingale rang me half an hour ago and we had a brief chat regarding their plans. Mr Nightingale - who's association apparently represents Transport workers, explained to me why they have submitted a report supported by the new and apparently secretive(?) cycling Org, the QPS and State Government.

1) And get this! If a lycra clad cyclist- "dressed in all black" were his words - commits a crime and then jumps a few backyard fences to evade the Police, the Police will then find it very difficult to pursue and apprehend the-cycling no gooder.
2) Hoping to appeal to my sensabilities as a professional truck driver, if a cyclist is involved in an incident with a motor vehicle, truck drivers, couriers and their respective employers lose money and drive times increase when those who were using that road must "scatter". A Downed cyclist makes a professional drivers job that much more difficult.
3) Speed. A herd of "lycra clad warroirs" feel it necessary to ride at any speed they choose with scant disregard for all other road users (must literally mean everyone I'm assuming) and must be held accountable.
4) This has bugger all to do with anyone except the theif and the owner. If a cyclists bike is stolen then the Police, who apparently are incapable of tracking down frame serial numbers and dealing with insurance claims, will be able to more effectively recover that bike if it's registered for the road to another person.
5) The only worthwhile point - although still very debatable - made by Mr Nightingale, was that yes many bike riders pay to use the roads with their annual car rego, but why should someone who owns the same car as his neighbour pus a motorbike, have to pay rego for that motorbike.

Now the 5th point with some (very) fine tuning could raise a couple of interesting key points. That being said IMO this is all utter revenue raising crap on behalf of the Ipswich City Council, the GC City Council and the State Government who until now have had absolutely nothing whatsoever to comment on regarding anything cycling related.
Mr Nightingale did say that rego tags would be limited to the rider and not the bike. This means that the rider with 2 or more bikes only has to transfer the tag to the bike being ridden at the time the Police catch them harrassing the general public. Phew :?
If the State Government and the QPS Traffic Branch are actually taking this as seriously as claimed, and it is a very real threat hanging over Queensland cyclists heads, then this is an important issue that we all have a right to be kept informed of. Mr nightingale has promised to email me detailed information on the proposal this weekend. But regardless of this, why has the cycling community not been given any information at all? Why has Mr Dobinson - who is attending the trial of the Serviceman who killed his mother in the U.S. at this time - or his 24/7 Fund, the Ipswich mayor, the QPS or the Transport minister not seen fit to comment on a proposal that these parties have been actively involved with for several weeks if not months?
I certainly hope that the funding for the new Ipswich and Gold Coast cycling facilities is not conditional on those parties support of the new Government's apparent crack down on Queensland cyclists, but it does go without saying that there is always a price for accepting Government handouts. For Troy's sake I sincerely hope this isn't the price we're all having to pay for a loop of bitumen.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Re: Well waddaya know? New Queensland Boys Club Inc.

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:52 pm

I should add that I am even more upset by this given that Safe Cycling Australia is the only organisation that sounds even remotely close to that which can't publicly be found, and that given this, I and my family recieved a threatening phone call last night. There will be hell to pay if this continues!

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Sounds like these guys are a bit behind the 8 ball.

Hopefully they will look into bicycle registration and quickly realise there is no benefit.

This group of geniuses should put their heads together and work out why an extra 20 peds are dead year to date when compared to the same time last year.

Hint: It is not cyclists.

In fact if you put up more obstacles to cycling you will get more people in cars. Perhaps they should just increase the costs of running motor vehicles so they can pay for the damage their on way?

•The annual national road toll accounts for around 1500 deaths and over 30,000 serious injuries on our roads each year, costing an estimated $27bn annually (Australian Transport Council, 2010).
From website: https://www.anzpaa.org.au/current-initi ... statistics

We are talking about a forecaste budget surplus of $1.5bn but losing $27bn in motor vehicle related incidents.

There are issues and there are ISSUES. On a positive note I firmly believe the tide will soon start to turn in favor of alternatives to owning a car. The cost to society of motor vehicle dependency is too high.
Did anyone see the Daily Telegraph article yesterday regarding increased traffic in some random western Sydney suburb? this obese lady complained it took up to 1 hour to drive one suburb away to pick her obese kid up from school. Yes it was written in all seriousness. People are starting to see through this crap, everyone here at work thought it was a hoot.

JM

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Would seem that the independent drivers assoc. they have their own web page too.
https://sites.google.com/site/independe ... assoc/home

interestingly they also think that they should be allowed to go seat belt free up to 40kph. Sounds like double standards to me.
https://sites.google.com/site/independe ... -belt-laws

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:43 pm

At least they don't have an agenda:

https://sites.google.com/site/independe ... s-releases

Independent Drivers Association
Ph 0437118341
email independant.drivers.assoc@hotmail.com
MEDIA RELEASE
Drivers call for a Weekend Police Blitz on Bicycle Riders

22 May 2012
Riders not wearing helmets playing Russian Roulette with motorists and teaching children dangerous habits.
The Independent Drivers Association has approached the QPS to begin a blitz on Bicycle riders who are flaunting the Law.

After witnessing numerous cases of Riders not wearing helmets , cutting across traffic lanes in front of motorists and all traffic laws the association has put in a direct request to both the Traffic Branch and the Gold Coast District office to blitz the coast as we believe the problem is getting worse.

In just one hour on Sunday morning a couple riding in straw hats down the wrong side of the road was seen at Bundall, a second couple , both without helmets was seen in the same area leading their children who were wearing helmets along Ferry road.
At Southport two young women were watched weaving through traffic to get from Australia fair to the Broadwater park. And numerous others were seen along the highway from Southport to Runaway Bay.

In particular incidents where parents are ensuring their children wear all safety equipment but do not do the same themselves we believe are teaching their own kids that once they get older its ok to break the law and place themselves at danger , a recipe for disaster.

The roads are dangerous enough as it is, and any bicycle rider who does not wear a helmet deserves to be treated with the same contempt as a motorist who does not wear a seat belt.

We have spoken Directly with Sgt Murphy of the Traffic branch on this problem.

We have also requested that the Hendra Police mount a similar blitz near the Brisbane Airport.

In upcoming talks with the Transport Department we intend to discuss changes to laws covering bicycle users and increases in penalties relating to not wearing helmets to match those currently applied to motorists not wearing a seat belt .

.............................................................................................................................................................. 
Independent Drivers Association
Ph 0437118341
email independant.drivers.assoc@hotmail.com
MEDIA RELEASE
29/05/2012
PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS AND TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT SEE EYE TO EYE ON ROAD SAFETY

3hr meeting between Deputy Director G Fraine (Queensland Transport) and R Nightingale (Independent Drivers Association) deemed a success by Association President.

After 3 hours of talks with representatives of the Department of Transport today at the office of the Independent Drivers Association at Biggera Waters on the Gold Coast , discussing matters concerning Bicycle Riders and changes to laws , registration and fines affecting them, matters relating to the delivery of goods, Road works and traffic flow options, and Mobile Phone Laws and Radar Vans and their operation and misuses of work zones and road works controls as well as the Light Rail Project , professional drivers are happy with the results.

“We believe that this new era of co operation between professional drivers and the Transport Department will bring about safer and less congested roads for all road users”

“ The previous government and it's Transport Minister of the time (now the opposition leader) had no understanding road safety and how to make the roads flow smoother because of their failure to consult those who use the roads every day to earn a living”

“The inroads we have made today we believe will see safer roads, the ability for people to get where they are going quicker and easier than they have been able to in 20 years, the flow of freight and the ability to service businesses double, and better education for the next generation”

Things such as registration of bicycle riders who insist on using the road to travel at fast speeds for pleasure, a restriction on cyclists travelling in packs and fines of $300 for failure to wear a helmet , same as a motorist not wearing a seat belt, and points being taken from their drivers licences we believe should make the lyrca brigade reconsider their attitude towards other road users and pedestrians.

We are looking forward to further discussions with Transport to clear up problems with traffic flow through road works, Proper Placement and Proper Marking of Radars , making Police as accountable as other motorists when using mobile phones as well as assisting in logistics problems with the Light Rail Project and the Commonwealth Games.

So Troy Dobinson, l really really hope for all youe supporters sakes that this isn't the price paid for all that tax payer funding.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I can assure you that during "professional" days driving the ONLY factor impacting on the quality of my day is OTHER MOTORISTS. End of story.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:At least they don't have an agenda:

22 May 2012
Riders not wearing helmets playing Russian Roulette with motorists and teaching children dangerous habits.......

.......numerous cases of Riders not wearing helmets......

..... a second couple , both without helmets was seen in the same area leading their children who were wearing helmets.....

......In particular incidents where parents are ensuring their children wear all safety equipment but do not do the same themselves we believe are teaching.....

.....any bicycle rider who does not wear a helmet deserves to be treated with the same contempt......
Need to shunt this one off to the MHL thread :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Things such as registration of bicycle riders who insist on using the road to travel at fast speeds for pleasure
In that case I'll take care to be displeased whenever I ride at fast speeds on the roads so no need to be registered
These guys crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 pm

KenGS wrote:
Things such as registration of bicycle riders who insist on using the road to travel at fast speeds for pleasure
In that case I'll take care to be displeased whenever I ride at fast speeds on the roads so no need to be registered
These guys crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’ll stymie your efforts by insisting on riding slowly on the roads 8)
2012 Oppy A4

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 pm

That website is the most pathetic, amateurish waste of time and space i have ever seen. The speeeling is utterly atrocious, and inexcusable for what is ostensibly a 'professional' organisation. As for the 'ideas' they have on there regarding bikes, they are so devoid of logic as to be nothing but incredibly offensive. God help us all if anyone in a position of authority has actually listened to these bigoted degenerate idiots.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Chat with the prat. Here's his facebook page. Yes Mulger, he does run some Gold Coast courier company.

https://www.facebook.com/ron.nightingale

And this prat has some other crackpot theories that the Gold Coast 'news' rag is swallowing whole.
Mandatory helmet law?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I appreciated his condescending tone and "as you well know" matter-of-"factness" during our one sided conversation today. At the risk of offending the new Qld Transport Minister, how much of a dribbling idiot is he to be travelling from George Street to the office of these clowns to broker deals between mates over a coffee?!
I'd love to know what history Mr Nightingale and the Minister have that has lead Queensland road "safety to this point!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm

What's the bet Ron Nightingale's 'Independent Drivers Association' is the road equivalent of Harold Scruby's 'Pedestrian Council' (ie. all name no balls)

:P :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:42 pm

He lists one of his activities as 'being there for others' :evil: . Ooh i'm getting mad now.

(i will admit i don't have any issue with the idea of couriers, or anyone else for that matter, reporting regularly to the police about speeding/dangerous drivers, that's how it should be anyway).

Womble, i really want to do something about this, what do you reckon would be the best course of action?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 pm

il padrone wrote:Chat with the prat. Here's his facebook page. Yes Mulger, he does run some Gold Coast courier company.
Not just "some" courier company, but the best dam (little) courier company EVA! And he is always ready to help his colleges who share the roads.

I think Ronnie should courier himself back to school.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:22 am

This may be a tangent but, isn't it interesting how some motorists get all upset about cyclists, but also get just as upset at measures that improve cycling infrastructure which would then keep cyclists off or split from congested roads. The point is that a complete elimination of cyclists on the roads made seem like an attractive proposition though realistically concessions need to be made.
Cycling is in my BNA

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:31 am

ldrcycles wrote:He lists one of his activities as 'being there for others' :evil: . Ooh i'm getting mad now.

(i will admit i don't have any issue with the idea of couriers, or anyone else for that matter, reporting regularly to the police about speeding/dangerous drivers, that's how it should be anyway).

Womble, i really want to do something about this, what do you reckon would be the best course of action?
At this stage? Nunchucks and Ninja Stars!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 am

At the risk of demonising Paul Dobinson and the family's 24/7 Fund, Qld cyclists should be asking him or the Fund whether they honestly believe they are looking out for our best interests (IMO definately not), and as they seem to be the ONLY folk in Qld with a direct line to the Transport Minister, could they not make more constructive worthwhile use of the opportunity that we ALL have to seek effective change for the better?
Whats the point of seeking tens of millions of dollars for an off-road cycling facility if the Minister then pushes everyonein S.E. Qld off the road leaving them free only to be able to use either the facility or their trainer in their lounge room? I'd have rather seen the whole complex half built and walked away from.
As I've said, with government funding comes government expectations. Would also explain why BQ has krpt their mouths shut. I garantee you they'd be the first to find out if the intent is there.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:48 am

Oxford wrote:so where is BQ in all of this?
Again, unless they also haven't been informed which they would be, as they're tax payer funded funded for the most part and the traditional voice of State Govt. Why haven't they voiced their opinion one way or the other? Reinforcing the view that Queenslands cycling community is not too high on their prority list.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:51 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Again, unless they also haven't been informed which they would be, as they're tax payer funded funded for the most part and the traditional voice of State Govt. Why haven't they voiced their opinion one way or the other? Reinforcing the view that Queenslands cycling community is not too high on their prority list.
careful there Womble, this just shows your one-eyed view of the efforts put in by others. There are ways to achieve the aim of increasing cycling participation and cycling safety in Qld. I would suggest BQ have chosen a path which requires more maneuvering, political shenanigans and patience than you are willing to invest within.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 am

Well this is all very interesting.
The 2nd Womble wrote:I certainly hope that the funding for the new Ipswich and Gold Coast cycling facilities is not conditional on those parties support of the new Government's apparent crack down on Queensland cyclists, but it does go without saying that there is always a price for accepting Government handouts. For Troy's sake I sincerely hope this isn't the price we're all having to pay for a loop of bitumen.
If I remember that was how helmet laws were pushed in. Federal funding was tied to acceptance of a number of other "initiatives" so this would not be without precedence.

As we all know if it were to happen it would be the end of cycling in QLD (as we know it). Participation would again be slashed. I'm having trouble believing that like all the other times this has come up that sense will not prevail.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:49 am

Kenzo wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:
careful there Womble, this just shows your one-eyed view of the efforts put in by others. There are ways to achieve the aim of increasing cycling participation and cycling safety in Qld. I would suggest BQ have chosen a path which requires more maneuvering, political shenanigans and patience than you are willing to invest within.
BQ and political maneuvering? I'm all ears. But regardless of my view of BQ, Mr Nightingale has proven himself unworthy of his role (actual or self percieved) and has done nothing for the credibility of his organisation. Does he even have the support of the QPS Traffic Branch? My wife asked me last night why the Independant Drivers Association was "recently reinstated" as written in a couple of recent articles.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:22 am

I find the Independent Drivers' Association's legislative reforms, um, interesting.

Consider:
1. Ride on a road where the speed limit exceeds 70kph unless a bicycle storage area (bicycle lane) is marked.
2. Ride on a road marked with a no bicycle sign.

3. Cross a road way at a pedestrian crossing whilst mounted.

4. Use a roadway unless registered to do so. (exemption to this rule , a child who is escorted by a registered road user who is under the age of 15)

5. Travel on a shared pathway or footpath in a manner to be declared hazardous to the safety of pedestrians. ( example – weaving, high speed ,etc)

6. Enter a car park , privately owned or council , whilst mounted

7. make a right hand turn across a roadway without signaling his or her intention by hand signal
(2) and (3) are already laws. So too is (5). (1), (4) and (6) are stupid beyond belief. (7) is not too bad. So, apart from some spectacularly bad ideas and some colourful misconceptions about current laws, and the need for a whole lot of proofreading, and a site design that makes me want to eat my own face, it's not a bad first effort.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 am

Man with a red flag walking ahead at all times, sounds like a great idea to me :P :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Wheres the rest. Ever see Rule 31? Women over the age of 18 (unless married at an earlier age in which case medical clearance from a specialist is required) MUST ride side saddle at all times.

Rule 17. A cyclist who is injured and reasonably impeding the normal flow of traffic in any direction, MUST remove themselves - and any body parts that may have been knocked off - to the roadside imediately and put their hand up.
Exceptions to the Rule apply to unconcious or dead persons, or those who've had both arms knocked off. In this instance they will be allowed more time to put their hand up.