Increased Appetite

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
robbiepapenfus

Increased Appetite

Postby robbiepapenfus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 am

Hi All,

I have started cycling to and from the station for the past week, approximately 26km each day

One thing that i have noticed is that i’m eating ALOT more than usual!

I guess this is normal as the body is burning off energy, which then needs to be replaced.

Did you guys notice the same thing when you started cycling regualry?

Regards,
Robbie

rkelsen

Re: Increased Appetite

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Absolutely. And can be frustrating if (like me) you want to lose weight.

A good thing to do is to try eat foods which are more nourishing and better for you. More fruit, vegies, nuts and seeds. Less chips & choc.

A low GI breakfast (oats) usually carries me through to lunch. It gets harder after that, but I find that a couple of pieces of fruit in the mid-afternoon helps.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:38 pm

I found what also helps is to drink plenty of water during the day.
It isn't uncommon for you to feel that your hungry when in fact a drink will suffice (apparently the signals to the brain for hunger and thirst are similar).

Particularly when I ride to work (36km each way), I try and drink heaps of water throughout the day which means I am visiting the little boys room every 45-60 mins and when I do it comes out looking like lemonade, not like lemon squash :lol:

That way on the ride home I feel great and usually eat a banana or similar about 30mins prior to the ride home for a bit of an energy boost.

More exercise will require more fuel for the body but as already advised, more nutritious foods are the key, not necessarily more food in size or weight.....particularly if weight loss is one of your objectives. Once you find the right balance you'll be fine.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

arand18

Postby arand18 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Eat high protein foods, that will keep you full and will repair your muscles cells

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:45 am

I definitely experience this since upping my commuting from once or twice weekly to 4+ days (20km round trip). I swear to dog I'm actually getting fatter :o Also keep getting busted with my hand in the biscuit jar no matter how much fruit / rice cakes / birdseed I try to distract myself with.

Re the protein, I'm not a big meat eater, but have heard people talk about protein shakes, & wonder if this might be a good option, anyone got the tip?
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Lizzy wrote:I swear to dog I'm actually getting fatter :o
might be related to
Lizzy wrote:Also keep getting busted with my hand in the biscuit jar no matter how much fruit / rice cakes / birdseed I try to distract myself with.
:mrgreen:
Sorry, just being silly as I'm in pretty much the same boat. I find that my weight has stayed the same, though I eat lunch at a cafe more often. On those weeks when I focus on what I'm eating, I shed the weight fairly quickly. I've always had a pretty decent metabolism but my appetite and sweet tooth is usually more than a match for it

Lizzy wrote:Re the protein, I'm not a big meat eater, but have heard people talk about protein shakes, & wonder if this might be a good option, anyone got the tip?
They do help, but beware that some contain an awful lot of carbs and will not help at all. Pure protein ones seem to be ok though they still require a lot of will power to keep the eating in check. I have one which is almost all protein that I used to use for gym recovery which is good, but it's still some 150-odd calories/600kj when made up - not a lot, but not so little as to be ignored.

toolonglegs

Increased Appetite

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Up your protein if you need to... Carbs will always be your fuel. What ever you eat before a ride should be carb heavy as fats and proteins take longer to digest. I take protein supplements but I was not getting enough protein in and the difference is huge. Count your calories for a few days and see what your intake is and your fat/protein/ carb ratio. For me it is about 80g fat / 150g protein / 400g carb.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
Lizzy wrote:I swear to dog I'm actually getting fatter :o
might be related to
Lizzy wrote:Also keep getting busted with my hand in the biscuit jar no matter how much fruit / rice cakes / birdseed I try to distract myself with.
:mrgreen:
Sorry, just being silly as I'm in pretty much the same boat.
Ha - yeah, pretty spot-on there I'd say! It's just that rotten early afternoon crash & crave, hence wondering if upping the protein might help address it ... but yeah, a little suspicious of the shakes idea due to sugar content etc.
Ozkaban wrote:... they still require a lot of will power to keep the eating in check.
Aha :idea: Cool, where can I buy some of that? :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

shann

Postby shann » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Yup, I'm waaay hungrier since I've started doing longer rides. Since I don't want to slip into obsessive eating habits, I'm trying to think of foods that are good for me and will fuel my rides, rather than 'dieting' as such (she says, while eating a cone full of soy icecream ... I've been sick this week, OK?). I really like an oat-based cereal for brekky, and almonds throughout the day when I get snacky. My basic rule (which yes, I'm breaking at the moment) is that if I feel like sugar, I eat protein instead. It's not perfect, but it seems to be working.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:19 pm

I believe you have one of those cravings for sugar, you need to eat properly. Something like a salad sandwich is ideal.

If you need to eat more due to your cycling habit, then eat more carbs but good ones - rice, pasta, beans, lentils, whole grain bread. These are bulky and mostly long lasting. Its what you put with them that is the problem. So long as you keep all the cheesy oily, meaty type things out of it, then the meal should be low fat and low calorie. Beans are good because they are high in protein. But you don't want to just be getting all your protein from meat.

Maybe you need to increase your dinner size at night time so you've got more fuel in the tank come time to go riding.

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Omelettes I find are great for filling up after longer weekend rides and I presume, as long as you don't put too much cheese in it, it's mainly good for you with the protein and all that.
:D
Being able to eat more is a small part of why I do ride because my mum cooks great food (ex-chef) and being a 70kg 6'1 15 year old the the nutritious food the better.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 am

I’m not the one to give dietary advice seeing as I’m still in the obese category of BMI. However I’ve found that eating oats (with berries, banana and raisins.. NO MILK) for breakfast has made a huge difference. I’m not feeling hungry until smoko and even then the hunger isn’t in the famished category.
2012 Oppy A4

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:05 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I’ve found that eating oats (with berries, banana and raisins.. NO MILK) for breakfast has made a huge difference. I’m not feeling hungry until smoko and even then the hunger isn’t in the famished category.
+1

I need to eat first thing in the morning, and it needs to be high in carbohydrates. Muesli with soy milk works for me, ideally eaten around 30mins before exercising. This means on morning commutes I have breakfast around 0600. I'm certainly ready to eat again, although not completely ravenous by midday. Eat a decent lunch but don't usually have anything more in the afternoon before the ride home.