Principle Shared Path Maintenance – is enough being done?

rolandp

Principle Shared Path Maintenance – is enough being done?

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Like any road, a shared path does require regular maintenance. The history of maintenance of two sections of the principle shared path, which one section follows the Mitchell Freeway – Perth, are shown in this article which I have just posted on the BTA website.

These sections have several large cracks, have been reported but remain an issue.

The WA Bike Network Plan does not provide funding for maintenance. Given that there are sections of the principle shared path which are not being maintained correctly, where will the funds come from to repair these sections?

Aushiker

Re: Principle Shared Path Maintenance – is enough being done

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Simple answer to the question ... no.

Keep up the good work Roland

Andrew

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 pm

I also have a bone to pick with the City of Stirling, so many of the cycle path/dual use paths are littered with glass, plus the roads themselves are littered with junk...bits of rubble from building or demolition, drink bottles, cans...etc... It is especially bad here in the Balga, Mirrabooka, Nollamarra area...its so bad it even worries me in my stink box. OK we have a bad name but for heavens sake, we pay our ates etc..and deserve the same service the rest of Stirling is given

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 am

Heard back from Minister of Transport today:
....The Minister has requested that the Department of Transport attend to the matter you have raised and respond to you directly. Should you wish to contact the Department of Transport regarding your letter please contact the Office of Director General by emailing: director.general@transport.wa.gov.au or by writing to ....
Glad to see it is under control, as I thought it would be Main Roads who was responible for the maintenance and should be explaining how these sections of the PSP got into this condition.

Let's see what Department of Transport will respond with.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri May 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Mitchell Fwy PSP is particularly bad, poor planning and engineering, and as you note, maintenance is just a patch-up that will cost again soon. The section along Britannia Road Reserve feels like riding a bucking bull.

As Main Roads comes under DoT, maybe DoT is taking more direct control of any issues raised, hopefully expediting the resolution.

I don't see why they themselves shouldn't be responsible for monitoring the condition of our network, a thorough check once a year would be sufficient, then implement a maintenance program to fix it.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri May 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Principal. If this is going to govt.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 am

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the southern PSP from the city to Canning Bridge? A couple of months it looked as if they were planning to re-seal it; the edges and cracks got fixed etc. Is it actually going to happen?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat May 12, 2012 10:31 am

scirocco wrote:Does anyone know what is going to happen to the southern PSP from the city to Canning Bridge? A couple of months it looked as if they were planning to re-seal it; the edges and cracks got fixed etc. Is it actually going to happen?
The edges were being maintained due to vehicles using it to reseal sections of the Freeway. But I think someone on here wrote that they will also reseal/widen the PSP, which will be done 'next financial year'. That needs verification.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 am

I recieved a response from Director General Department of Transport. Response available on BTA Website.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 pm

"As we continue to implement the WA Bicycle Network Plan 2012-2021"

This is still out for consultation isn't it? So are DoT going to implement the Plan and ignore the consultation process?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh that reminds me. Baldivis way or further south there are some cracks along it and there is a sign... BUT that sign was there when I was down there in January so NO not enough is being done
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Paying respect for Roland's efforts again, I was thinking on last night's wet dark cycle home about how an insignificant obstacle/hazard during dry daylight you don't give a passing thought to, can become a bone breaker or worse in peak hour winter commuting... yet we are all looking and debating predominately dry daylight photos.

Most will cop the dark early or late, lights do well in the dry, but reflections of light on the wet surfaces, that are so inconsistent with type, lighting, debris, large puddles sitting water etc. you do get used to it.

Add dark, wet, and more immediately threatening traffic distractions... for a new rider to the area it can be a horror show not knowing and anticipating all those hazards. Watching Roland's efforts its clear some things he's tracking move slower than Death (3kph I heard?) so would suggest avoiding dark/wet/unfamiliar territory.

Old news but it's the season for having it at the front of your mind in lieu of the infrastructure maintenance improving. Piles of wet leaves and metal manhole covers gave me a quick refresher yesterday.
Last edited by eldavo on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Got the below late today:
The Cycling and Pedestrian Co-ordinator has investigated the section of Principle Shared Path (PSP) north of Karrinyup Road and it has been determined that the surface is not a maintenance issue but a new path would be required. This section of PSP has already been identified as a priority in the WA Bicycle Network Plan 2012 – 2021 with the ultimate alignment for a new PSP through that section being on the east side of the Mitchell Freeway.

Kind regards,
Office of the Director General
Department of Transport

Just glanced through the WA Bicycle Plan, and this section is not indicated. So exactly when will it be addressed? Responses are due in by 17 June 2012, and this will be included in my response.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:00 am

Roland time to put your Maxwell Smart voice on
"Aaah, the old non-existent reference to a future plan trick... it always gets me Ninety-Nine."

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 am

Back in July 2012, I used my phone and PotHole Agent app to track the condition of the shared path - additional details on BTA's website for more details.

The data looked like this:

where the larger the number, the larger the bump. The numbers may not be showing up in the above, so use this link to get to this Google Map.

Now I filter out the smaller bumps (rated as 1-2) otherwise there was too much data to show. I also captured the data over 3-4 days.

12 months on, and I pulled out the Pothole Agent App to see what it looked like now:

Google Map link

The latest data is only for a proportion of one of my commutes home, and the numbers are now a lot higher (ie in the 7-8 range, which means there are now some very large bumps we are riding on).

The app is now collecting so many more 'bumps' that the file generated is now too large to get off the phone (and why I only have a proportion of my commute home).

Again I'm filtering the data on the desktop to remove the 1-2 bumps.

I've shared these maps with Main Roads last night, so hopefully they will provide a response soon.

Anyone else seeing the condition of the Northern PSP getting worst with tree roots/cracks etc?

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 pm

The section of PSP from Canning Bridge to Mt Henry is definitely getting worse also.
Several blind corners and pedestrians insisting on wearing all black with no lights = recipe for disaster.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Rex wrote:The section of PSP from Canning Bridge to Mt Henry is definitely getting worse also.
Several blind corners and pedestrians insisting on wearing all black with no lights = recipe for disaster.
I can't imagine anyone giving it clearer lines of sight as it is an accessible bush environment that many in the community would not accept the loss of. Whether it suits or not, cyclists need to ride as though ther are lots of dumb peds. Dumb peds need to smarten up and take their own safety as responsibly as they expect cyclists to. (A nog light is not expensive and the batteries last and last.)

But yes, it is not a great example of what we need and there are too many ninja peds in winter.

As an aside, anyone riding that route after storms should be aware that there are a couple of places where the path is unexpectedly covered with a thick carpet of weed and harder hazards and largely un-seeable when dark at speed. If you ahve not experienced it yet you will understand when you do.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:52 am

Some of you may have noticed yellow markings on 'speed bumps' around Leederville area.
This was partly as a result of me following up a query with Main Roads earlier this month.

On the week-end, I managed to capture 'speed bumps' from Leederville all the way up to Duncraig were I live. I used a smart phone app Pothole Agent (indicated earlier) to capture all 'pot holes' on my daily commute route, which was provided to Main Roads today, which will hopefully result in additional bumps being repaired. To see this, see the Google Map I published which includes logos showing the magnitude of the 'speed bump'.
Or have a look at the below, which may not include the magnitude (hopefully it does):

Please note, that I filter out the 'smaller bumps' so the above maps only show 'bumps' of magnitude 3-10 (where 1 is a small bump, 10 is a large bump).

In the data collected on the week-end, it recorded bumps of magnitude 10 (I hadn't recorded one before, so these may show up as '1's on the map.

If you spot a 'bump' on your ride on the PSP, report them to Main Roads, as the more people who report it, hopefully these types of bumps will get fixed.

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 am

I would like to see barbed ... no razor wire run along the centrre line to stop trihards and twits who think they own both lanes.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am

Recently they repaved a section of the PSP that runs past Burswood from the Causeway Bridge to Windan, it is now wider and newer and smoother than any PSP ever has been, you could have a game of curling on it.

Thing is though, I ride that stretch every day and I don't understand why it was necessary to do all that work, it wasn't in desperate need at all and i know I've seen sections which are much more worthy upgrade projects.

Like the section it leads too which runs from the Causeway Bridge southwards to the Rowing Club.

Would candidates be selected based on which councils have the money to spend on such things?
inflammatory statement or idea

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:08 pm

roller wrote:Recently they repaved a section of the PSP that runs past Burswood from the Causeway Bridge to Windan, it is now wider and newer and smoother than any PSP ever has been, you could have a game of curling on it.

Thing is though, I ride that stretch every day and I don't understand why it was necessary to do all that work, it wasn't in desperate need at all and i know I've seen sections which are much more worthy upgrade projects.

Like the section it leads too which runs from the Causeway Bridge southwards to the Rowing Club.

Would candidates be selected based on which councils have the money to spend on such things?
The work in this section could be related to the new football stadium and future pedestrian bridge over the river. They are expecting 8,600 people to cross Windan & Goongoonup bridges and 14,300 people to cross the new bridge within 1 hour from the end of the footy. As the new bridge will not be open to cyclists and Windan/Goongoonup won't be great for cyclists with 8,600 pedestrians on them I'd expect that many cyclists (and a few pedestrians going to the Causeway bus exchange) would take this path to the Causeway/Narrows.

Could be unrelated though.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Additional sections captured today:
Midland to Perth

Perth to Fremantle

I don't regularly ride in Midland, so there may be better ways to leave the Midland area. But then again, there was very limited signage indicating where the shared paths were.

For the Fremantle section, I rode south on Curtin Ave, and then returned later on the shared path next to Curtin Ave, as the more experienced riders will use the 'cycle lane' (loose term here as there were two cars parked in it this morning), and the less experienced riders will use the shared path.

As in previous data captured earlier, I strip out the smaller bumps (ie those rated as 1 or 2 out of 10) as they may be incorrect readings (eg I may be swaying to get up a hill, or I may have hit a small branch).

This morning's data has been provided to Department of Transport.

dampier

Postby dampier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Leederville section is being fixed at the moment, detours in place. It should be finished before 4 pm.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm

The section along Leederville Pde, Leederville was patched (again) today. Thanks for the heads up Dampier.

Some sections around Osborne Park and Powis St also have been repaired.

There is still a lot of yellow markings showing additional sections that need to be repaired.

However, too late for me. Flat on the weekend front wheel, and broken spoke tonight on the rear wheel.

ejaycarroll

Postby ejaycarroll » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 pm

(AT) Roller - Scott C is half right, that work was related to the new stadium, but it was to do with some work for the new train station that Western Power had to do. Seems the cables sat underneath the path or needed to be relocated under the path. Should be just about done now, if not already.