Criterium du Dauhpine 2012

MichaelB

Re: Criterium du Dauhpine 2012

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Haven't seen that stage yet, but happy to read that cadel attacked and did really well. Didn't work in the end, but showed what could be done, and put Wiggo on the back foot big time.

Andy lost plenty of time again today, but after seeing the road rash he got, kudos for still finishing.

Don't think he'll be a podium threat at the tour, but may win a stage or two to salvage some honour. Even his long time supporter, Andersson is not overly supporting him.

Go Cadel !!

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Wonder how Cancellara is travelling and how ready he will be for the tdf tt's. Without disrespecting Wiggo I can't see him beating Fabian when he is on form, so Martin must be a bit off compared to last year.
Haven't seen any of this race so far, but I'm hoping Cadel can put the pressure on hard in the mountains at the tdf. :twisted:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

All you Schleck haters take note
cyclingnews wrote:Asked if he had considered abandoning the Dauphiné in the wake of his accident, Schleck admitted that he had already deprived himself of too many racing days this season. Illness forced him out of Paris-Nice after just two stages and he subsequently withdrew from the Volta a Catalunya.

“I’ve abandoned too many times this year already,” he said with a half smile. “Earlier in the season, you can ask yourself what’s the best option. But now the Tour is in four weeks so it’s a case of no turning back. You have to go straight on.”
But it seems he has dug deep & found what it takes to abandon one more time.

When asked form comment, I understand Johan Bruyneel simply responded "Oh FFS!"

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Wiggins and sky looking good on the climb. Hoping he's peaked a bit early.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:00 am

Unfortunately, same old for Cadel ... having to do a fine solo effort after again seeing the rest of his team get dropped one by one ...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:49 am

It's eally starting to irk me that every team in the ProTour has capable climbers for these stages EXCEPT BMC. I do hope the TDS guys find better form in the Mountains.
Reading Cadels comments on his TT doesn't inspire confidence if the TDF stage(s) are flat either, and with Wiggo having the season that Oogabooga had prior to taking the Tour last year, I also hope He isn't regretting the lack of racing in his lead up. I just have a nagging sus that Cadel won't be good enoigh this time around :(
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:55 am

LMAO :lol:
vino: andy no like time trial. andy no like descending. andy no like rain. andy no like cold. andy no like big heat. andy no like crosswinds. andy no like headwinds. andy no like serious training. andy complain too much about everything.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:55 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:It's eally starting to irk me that every team in the ProTour has capable climbers for these stages EXCEPT BMC. I do hope the TDS guys find better form in the Mountains.
Reading Cadels comments on his TT doesn't inspire confidence if the TDF stage(s) are flat either, and with Wiggo having the season that Oogabooga had prior to taking the Tour last year, I also hope He isn't regretting the lack of racing in his lead up. I just have a nagging sus that Cadel won't be good enoigh this time around :(
Wiggo also won the Criterium du Dauhpine last year. I'm hoping Cadel has more improvement in him over the next 4/52 8)

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Parrott wrote:Wiggins and sky looking good on the climb. Hoping he's peaked a bit early.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... philosophy

Wiggins trying to stay at 95%+ all season, so with that in mind I reckon Cadel has more room to improve, 1.44, only time will tell!

Wiggins looks to have a superior climbing ensemble at his disposal. This years tour is shaping up to be the Wiggins vs Evans show, possibly leaving the door open for someone to fly under the radar.

gus24

Postby gus24 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:02 pm

I reckon Cadel will have the edge in the 3rd week of the tour

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Wiggins has done extremely well in the one week races, but this idea of staying at 95% all season will be very interesting come the 3rd week of the Tour. While some sports can do this nothing compares to the extreme level of endurance that is needed to compete at the top level of the GC in the Tour. Sky train actually works for Evans as well as the tempo suits Evans.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:52 pm

I am wondering if Cadel told the bus to sit up. They were all going strong and looking comfortable till SKY decided move forward and take up the pace. Cadel the just pushed a few positions forward and said something on the way through and all of a sudden not q single BMC rider in site.

I am thinking that with the downhill finish he figured that he could put pressure on Wiggo without using up his team.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:10 pm

makes you wonder how the sky train will work for Wiggins and Cav. How many sprint train carriages and how many climbing train carriages will they set up?. BMC last year were there just for Cadel and Cadel only Wiggins may require a total team in week 3 not a train of half sprinters.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 pm

liamb wrote:makes you wonder how the sky train will work for Wiggins and Cav. How many sprint train carriages and how many climbing train carriages will they set up?. BMC last year were there just for Cadel and Cadel only Wiggins may require a total team in week 3 not a train of half sprinters.

Bill
There will be only one train. I doubt that Cavendish will be entered. If he is, it'll only be for the first week.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Parrott wrote: Wiggo also won the Criterium du Dauhpine last year. I'm hoping Cadel has more improvement in him over the next 4/52 8)
Hmmm ... I hope so too, Parrott, but last year Wiggins was only stopped in the TdF by a broken collarbone.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 pm

liamb wrote:makes you wonder how the sky train will work for Wiggins and Cav. How many sprint train carriages and how many climbing train carriages will they set up?. BMC last year were there just for Cadel and Cadel only Wiggins may require a total team in week 3 not a train of half sprinters.

Bill
Great point, Bill. Do Sky really give up on a proven green jacket wearer to chase the potential yellow?

Robbie McEwan's career was full of having to steal wins with team resources being thrown at the GC candidate (including, ahem, Cadel.)

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:55 pm

RonK wrote:

Bill
There will be only one train. I doubt that Cavendish will be entered. If he is, it'll only be for the first week.
Cavendish might think a gold medal in the Olympic road race at home would go well with the world champions jersey.
He can get another green jersey next year.
Go Cadel!
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:19 pm

for mine going on alot of "expert" opinion Wiggo may not have the endurance to go the 3 weeks and spend the last week climbing and TT'ing. I have a horrible feeling (got nothing to back it up!!) Cadel may not do it this year but I still think he is in the right form and position to back it up.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:57 pm

great to see Cadel's young lad with him at the interview!!! thats the sort of thing I like to see, keeps the reality in mind

Bill

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:57 pm

liamb wrote:great to see Cadel's young lad with him at the interview!!! thats the sort of thing I like to see, keeps the reality in mind

Bill

hosko

Postby hosko » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:06 pm

He really liked that microphone!!

While he wasn't wearing yellow, Cadel is having a brilliant lead up to the tour. If he does the same over 3 weeks and not just 8 days, Wiggo might not have a chance.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Excellent week for Cadel. Just as important as the physical is the mental and he's in a great head space at BMC, they are the perfect fit, he looks so happy and relaxed a far cry from the uptight dude at Lotto in 08. He just needs the same luck as last year and he will give a great sight at the Tour :D

Sky are very impressive, really happy to see Rogers and Porte riding so well. For all the talk of Wiggins (who was excellent) the elephant in the room could again be Froome just as he was at the Vuelta. He had a good week also and might just be peaking at the right time, could make for some interesting viewing.

As has already been said I hope Schleck finds his best form or that someone like Gesink really emerges to shake things up on GC. It'll be pretty boring if Wiggins and Cadel just mark each other and wait for the TT's.
FPR Ragamuffin

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Anyone know if Ryder H will be at the tour?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:02 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Anyone know if Ryder H will be at the tour?
Pretty much a certainty I think. Garmin don't really have another GC contender.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Well Ryder has shown that he has the form going in and the endurance for le tour