type of work place that you commute to?

teamdanby

Re: type of work place that you commute to?

Postby teamdanby » Tue May 22, 2012 6:09 pm

I have one outside the box for you all

i ride between 15-20km each way to my work in regional NSW and i work as a plant operator at the waste managerment center (eg rubbish dump)

only one the works there that rides and i see bugger all other rideing to any other work place at the times i'm riding and the only one i do see are clubbies on a trainning ride
Daily comuter
Gaint XTC mtb
city slicker wheels for the week
kenda nevegal for the tracks on the weekends

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 pm

i'm a stock standard office worker commuter.

we have reasonable EOT facilities (combination locked bike cages,showers, lockers if you're lucky) although to stand up straight in the bike cages you'd have to be shorter than 4'5".

In my office of around 50/60 people I think maybe 5 ride; at least 2 of those are intermittent/fair weather riders.

Pretty poor show really.....

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu May 24, 2012 3:58 pm

I commute to a railway station where I have a bike locker and then by train to a bog-standard city office building that has showers & lockers and bike racks.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:58 pm

I commute 20km from a city suburb to an Australian government office in a satellite town. ZZZzzzz. That might make it seem like I'm cycling against the traffic but no! There's a lot of mining traffic chasing me out of Newcastle up into the Hunter Valley. But it has great EOT facilities and it's not a bad trip scenically, and easy. Wide highway shoulder all the way. No side streets or parked cars to door me.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:20 pm

gretaboy wrote:I ride to an office, located in close to CBD suburbs, where I use the time to rest and recover until my afternoon ride home
:D some days are like that ....
7 steel bikes and counting

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 pm

I ride 25kms from the Brisbane southern suburbs to the CBD, 4 times a week. New fitout has cage, bathrooms, A/C, showers, lockers, towel service, etc. Some days there are 18 bikes from about 150-200 staff.
Faster than the bus and cheaper than $11 a day. Get to do extras some nights with workmates.
Even though it is relatively busy it is my quiet time.
:wink:
7 steel bikes and counting

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 pm

Im lucky and couldnt have it better. I ride to a council depot, 90% off rd cycleway along a lake edge. There is a locker room with about 80lockers, 8showers and a towel drying room. Bike racks are under cover and the whole shebang is inside a secure perimeter fence with video surveillance. Bit spoilt really. The locker room setup is for the garbos to shower after their shift so it's deserted when I use it first thing in the morning. The bike racks are a bit of an afterthought, but they are under cover so I'm not complaining. About 3-400 people work there and you can count on one hand how many cycle to work. That probably will slowly change as the traffic gets worse around here and petrol prices rise.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

kiso

Postby kiso » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I commute 16km to a factory in a light industrial area. Parking consists of a bike rack at the front door for 5 bikes, but we have secure fencing around the whole place. I've never seen more than 3 bikes parked there, including mine (we have a couple of hundred employees.)

Everyone who wants one has a locker, and there are several showers in different parts of the building.
John

DW260

Postby DW260 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 am

A big government department building in Canberra. Has all the showers and lockers you could dream of and a cafe for my double-shot flat white post ride :D

Commute is roughly 45km round trip. Try and do it 3-4 times a week. -4 degree mornings here in Canberra make sleeping in a tempting option, but you just dress accordingly.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:36 am

I'm pretty lucky, secure parking, locker room, dry cleaning for work clothes and towels provided, good shower. I modify the route to increase the hills and reduce the traffic as I imagine others do.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:36 am

I just started commuting again to hospital after 6 month break 60km round trip.

The hospital has locked cages for bicycles that are regularly used as an bike spare part depo for thieves ,despite the security cameras present.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown