SBS Come Through Again

jcjordan

Re: SBS Come Through Again

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:09 pm

RICHARDH wrote:
RonK wrote:
RICHARDH wrote:SBS will need to improve there coverage if they wish to keep people from flipping over to Eurosport, you no longer need to have Foxtel to get it.
OK, do share how.
Ok so you need to get foxtel but you you only subscribe for the Eurosport and can just pick the months you want. Check this link out

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/03/a ... per-month/
Its not as cheap as you may think.

Firstly you need a xbox, a xbox account and it will also have a significant impact on your download limits

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

It is if you just grab it for the Classics and the Tour save atleast a half year of $100 a month for foxtel if you dont want it.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:08 am

J Quinton wrote:
Do you think cycling will always be a minority sport?.
Yep. It won't really matter if it's SBS or Nine covering it, Nine would spend more money, and hence lose more money! :cry:

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Taken from the cyclingnews forum:

Originally Posted by The Hitch
Didn't the world rennowned cycling experts in Australia say last year that Samu could never contend any gt since he would lose 4 minutes in any time trial?

Renowned idiots is a better catch phrase. The crap they were saying regarding Evans last night was gold. After I feel asleep watching the ascent, I woke for the descent and they had some pearlers. I meet Matthew Keenan, he's getting a smack in the head...the rot he has been saying is ludicrous. Two different pronounciations for every European riders name, beratting Evans but not the Sky Aussies...there is lots more. Unpleasant viewing.

Oh Samu...right. Yes I think so. I've always said Samu can podium. Valverde to. If Menchov and Evans are a chance Samu is as well. Better climber slightly lower chrono. The Aussie experts contradict themselves all the time...they think their 'exquisite' dialog and conversational pieces make the viewing better. It doesn't. Makes the viewing harder to put up with.

It's a sad day when Mike Tomolaris is the sane one in the commentary box. Dave McKenzie last night was contradicting himself left, right and centre. Mr Hawaiian Shirt Rupert Guiness needs to be moth balled and shipped back to Fairfax media. After Samu lost time early on last year they said he'd do nothing...not what happened exactly. The Aussie commentators have a tendency of over exagerating an Aussie's ability or whoever is the flavour of the moment and massively misrepresenting other riders who aren't Australian. Only Spanish GC rider last year who was a chance of losing 4 minutes in a chrono was JRod. Lots of things were said about Samu. I try and ignore the garbage...there is a lot of it to filter through.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

and you think the guys on Eurosport are much better. Roach is so monotone that its painful, he does come up with some great thoughts but his offsider has to almost beat him with a cattle prod to get him to speak.

Matt, Rupert and Dave may not be perfect but compared to the AFL idiots that 9 put up for the TDU they are at least passionate about the sport.

James

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Roach doesn't commentate to my knowledge.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 pm

J Quinton wrote:Roach doesn't commentate to my knowledge.
I think he meant Kelly.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 pm

sorry. Got my paddies wrong.

James

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:41 pm

jcjordan wrote:I dont find Matt any more random in his conversation points then Paul and Phill, actually I find that he spends more time on topic.
+1

Stages go for 4/6 hours and as much as I like cycling there are lots of time to fill when not much is happening, he had to talk about something :|
FPR Ragamuffin

RonK

SBS Come Through Again

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 am

jcjordan wrote:sorry. Got my paddies wrong.

Not a paddy either. Brian Smith, a Scot, and David Harmon, an Englishman, have been doing the commentary on the Dauphiné.

Like Kelly, Smith is a former pro cyclist and can talk about race strategies and tactics, as can Magnus Backstedt, who can also be very amusing. Carlton Kirby gets a little hysterical at times but is otherwise good value.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am

I did not know that Eurosport used other commentators as I have only ever heard Kelly and his offsider (whom it seems is just there to force Kelly to talk)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 am

jcjordan wrote:I did not know that Eurosport used other commentators as I have only ever heard Kelly and his offsider (whom it seems is just there to force Kelly to talk)
Yes, that is how such commentary teams work - the professional commentator leads the expert sportsperson by opening discussions and asking questions.

And just from listening you would be flat out discerning whether it's Kelly or Smith doing the commentary - they seem to sound very much alike. I have to wait to hear his name to be sure, to be sure.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am

I think this might be were SBS could improve in their telecast. By giving Matt a partner to banter with would give the opportunity to discuss rather then monologue

James

RonK

SBS Come Through Again

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:45 am

jcjordan wrote:I think this might be were SBS could improve in their telecast. By giving Matt a partner to banter with would give the opportunity to discuss rather then monologue

Yes, when he's been partnered with Scott McGrory the commentary has been better, not only because Scott knows what he is talking about and is an excellent presenter in his own right, but also because Keenan has to shut up while Scott is talking.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:11 pm

And just from listening you would be flat out discerning whether it's Kelly or Smith doing the commentary - they seem to sound very much alike. I have to wait to hear his name to be sure, to be sure.
Ron how could you not distinguish that beguiling Irish lilt with Brian Smith's Scottish burr? :)

RonK

SBS Come Through Again

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Ron how could you not distinguish that beguiling Irish lilt with Brian Smith's Scottish burr? :)
hehe - I can usually pick Kelly. It's Smith that I have trouble with. 8)

adamr

Postby adamr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Am I right in thinking that there is nothing of the TdF on Eurosport on Foxtel? I was planning to add it to my Foxtel package, but there seems no point. Is SBS the only coverage?