Physical wear and tear

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Physical wear and tear

Postby benam80 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Guys,
Hi Guys I am 31 and new to regular cycling and was curious about any negative effects of higher volumes of cycling. I am currently riding 40km a day and while that is probably a lot lower than most I am curious to know weather there were any issues of wear and tear associated to cycling. Also at what kind of distances volumes does this become an issue.

Are there any maintenance type things people do to help ie, stretching or supplements.

thanks in advance. ( also sorry if there was an existing thread had a quick search but didn't see any specifically.)
Ridley x-Fire 2012
benam80

by BNA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm

BNA

Re: Physical wear and tear

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm

nope. cycling is pretty easy on the body, i reckon. the major risk is from crashing!
jules21

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Because it's easier on the body, it's easy to get into over training. This is where you get into a downward spiral through not allowing enough recovery time. It is the training + recovery couplet that is important, not the training load on its own.

I take recovery breaks between rides and a low-intensity week every third. I moved from being stuck on a plateau with my fitness and speed to making steady improvement again. Look up periodization in cycling training.

The idea is to train at the appropriate volume (intensity x time), and then time your next training session to hit the peak of the supercompensation phase. This is how you get gains the fastest, without burning out.

"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Tired back muscles can sneak up on you too. Try some regular stretching on the floor (make a c-shape/pray to Allah). Do it during the ads on TV when you don't really want to look up anyway.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Return to Cycling Health