The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

toolonglegs

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Think my stem is 100mm... but I want to take it slow, might meet you half way :wink: .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:19 pm

[quote="PawPaw"] Any tips for better OOS sprinting?[/quote

I don't care what some will say about maintaining a stable position, with your shoulders and the bars but as far as I'm concerned PawPaw the more upper body strength you have the better you can put down the power, through your legs. When I was riding well, one of the things I did at the gym with weights was too...
get over into the arched position, like you were trying to sprint on the bike and pull weights back up into you. Also, do some rowing workouts with weights as in sitting and pulling weights back into your body. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 pm

THanks Foo. I know the first exercise you mention as 'bent over rows'. I did a lot of these in my teens when I was a rower, and partially attribute screwing my lumbar discs to them :D Maybe if I'd been older and had better technique, I'd have been ok.

Anyway, I agree upper body and trunk strength are important, as is getting the right gear, and not letting your legs hesitate at the bottom of the stroke.
I do pull ups on a soccer net bar, and supine pull ups under a fence railing. These are my upper limb pull exercises. Push ups and Hindu push ups are my upper limb push exercises.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

Pawpaw... on the tops / seated the front axle is behind the bar.
On the hoods it is a a bit in front of the bars.
On the drops it is 2 inches in front of the bars.
Standing on the hoods / drops my eyes are about level with the axle.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:16 am

Knew I shouldn't have gone on a club run :lol: ... because I just can't help myself, oh well 2 hours on the front is good for a taper week right :D ... Alex did say don't taper too much!.
Actually more worried that my son has come down with gastro today... wildfire :oops: .
Fingers crossed...72 hours to prologue time...think healthy thoughts!.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 am

toolonglegs wrote:Pawpaw... on the tops / seated the front axle is behind the bar.
On the hoods it is a a bit in front of the bars.
On the drops it is 2 inches in front of the bars.
Standing on the hoods / drops my eyes are about level with the axle.
hmmmm....I'm surprised it's so far in front when on the drops. have you ever felt you could reach forwards further with a longer stem, and open your chest a bit more?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Nah feels fine... Anyway will have to stay as it is for the weekend.
Off to the pharmacy as soon as it opens... Hopefully not coming down with conjunctivitis in my left eye... Probably from all the crap I got sprayed in sundays mucky race :-( .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 am

Anyone point me towards some good TT training info... This weekend may well be my last road race for the year.
Back to non structured till 23rd July ( not by choice ... Others will be setting my pace ) ... But come start of August I will have two months exactly till my national tt champs... Should be enough I hope!!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:48 am

Whats the TT course?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm doing primarily TT training now. Did one of my best runs this morning with 35kph gusts. I paced myself against two guys on TT bikes (not draftng) and was amazed how comfortable I was.

No1. tip in my view -
Specificity is key for TTs in the 8 weeks pre event.
If possible, do the exact course 2 x a week with power meter at race pace. Many recreational athletes do not take course familiarity (corners hills winds) seriously enough. If course further away, try to at least get one run per fortnight.
Doing shorter intervals at higher speeds and longer intervals at lower speeds has not been shown to improve TT performance as efficiently as doing TT course length.
Practise your TT aero position and get your hip flexors and diaphragmatic breathing used to it.
Keep your legs and spine stretched.
Practise scientific pre- and event hydration.

If I understand you right, you have around 4 mths to go.
In the following two months, you could still see VO2max and FTP gains by swimming freestyle for 2x20+ minute intervals once a week.
But for the final 4 weeks, you want to do primarily TT course length training, and a little resistance work to stimulate anabolic metabolism and maintain lean tissue mass (one session a week, minimum of 2 x 8 reps).

- Have recovery days from cardio the day after.
- Taper sprints and strength training to zero by 7 days prior.
- If trying to cut weight, do it until 10 days before, then get back to taking adequate Calories.
- Carb load for 3-5 days prior, and particularly lunch and dinner the day before.
- Early nights for at least 3 nights before.
- Caffeine intake on the day.
- Get onto a low fat diet now. It does make a difference to how much oxygen you get to your muscles.

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Bit surprised at how my legs are going at the moment...

My main race goal for the year was the Avanti Classic (10 says away on the 24th June), an 80km open handicap. After an excellent month of training in May, I was feeling fantastic and building nicely.

Last week of May was a scheduled work trip to Canberra for the week, so no training - that was OK, as I built up my mileage and the forced rest was probably a good thing... But of course, I caught a bad cold in the freezing weather, and then missed the entire next week as well!! So hopped back on the bike on Tuesday, having missed 15 days straight of training in the month of my A race... :roll:

So have ridden every day since then (my usual 2 x 1hr, 23km each-way cycle commute). Legs were a bit stiff the first day, but have been feeling beautiful since then. I've kept the pace easy so far as I get back into it of course, but still am pleasantly surprised at how well the legs are handling the 'return'.

Will make tomorrow's commutes 'hard intervals' to see how they cope...

Main thing is my initial 'panic' at how much form I've probably lost leading into the race has reduced drastically... :D

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Mike, course will be 25 km flattish but is yet to formalized.
PawPaw, yes I will only be concentrating on TT's ... Riding the course twice a week at race pace will be a bit much I think... Maybe twice a week at FTP. It is 35kms away so too far to ride a tt bike there and back plus a lap. But I will get to know the course well on my road bike.
I have a 10 km tt lined up on the 26th August and then a 19km on the 2nd ( regional champs) which I will be aiming to do well at. After that a final 3 week build all going well.
Not sure if I will have a power meter or not.
I may wait till after the race on the 2nd to fully commit to a disc rear and tt frame, after all if I am not any good at them I will save my pennies.
Diet should be good ( if I can be careful dying the TDF!)... At 93kgs now, aim is for 85... That is getting pretty light for me at 194cm. Should be there by the start of September.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm inclined to agree, that in the time available it's more about adaption and familiarisation. I adapted to riding a borrowed TT bike by taking it for a 200k ride.

If your got the time,then you could ride it over to that course, ride it and return.

In-between the longer rides do so shorter higher intensity rides on it, so to get use to sustained power delivery.

What you need is already in you, it's a matter of getting it out

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:44 pm

I here you Mike, still have a bit of work to do on my position... I will get on the TT bike a bit after this weekend is over but during all of July I will only be able to ride my road bike ( and the first 10 days of August as well I think ) ... I also need to be careful going to hard / long too quickly in TT position as that is how I originally flared up my Psoas muscle pushing hard so cramped up.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Mike, course will be 25 km flattish but is yet to formalized.
PawPaw, yes I will only be concentrating on TT's ... Riding the course twice a week at race pace will be a bit much I think... Maybe twice a week at FTP.
TLL, just to clarify, if your TT is one lap of a flattish 25km course, then i presume that's ~40 minutes at race pace. I don't think doing that twice a week is excessive, especially considering the volumes you've posted over the last few months. IMHO, it's time to taper off volume and move to low volume at race pace. You want adaptive "stress", not the distress of high volumes of moderate to high intensities.
You want fewer harder efforts punctuated by quality rest.

If the TT was 1 hour long, then race pace would be FTP pace.

Nevetheless, appreciate you have other events beforehand of some importance.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:54 am

Course is used fairly often from what I can tell... But changes slightly quite often as well... But I think ( hope ) it is flat/slight rolling. The guy who wins the senior category who I race against often did it at 45 average last year... And he is the French tt champion. For me to be competitive I need to hit around 42-43 average for the older age group :-) .
For me a 25 km TT at race pace would be a really hard session... From doing HOP sessions in the past I know one a week is already pretty hard.
On the volume... That has dropped from 450 per week to 350 these days... With in that is 100km racing / 70km hard group ride / lots of shorter "strava" runs usually around the 3-8 min mark vo2 and one longer climb 30-50min long ... Not much JRA at the moment... But for sure there will be a lot of JRA around in July but I get payed for that... Get home 24th July, hard work starts then...although 2 weeks holiday somewhere, need to convince my lovely wife that I need my bike there as well ;-) .
Here's my strava... http://app.strava.com/athletes/159853
There will be serious pain this weekend... Just hopefully no blood on the road!.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:38 pm

I think I burnt myself out on the ride last night (6 laps of Mt Gravatt) and lunch time run today (5.5km).. hopefully the legs pull up ok for the Sunday morning ride.

Does anyone find sleeping with compression pants helpful? Or ice bath straight after excercise? Taking in lots of fluids? any other tips? :)

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 pm

For recovery - I find 10 to 15minutes lying on the lounge room floor with my legs vertical up against a wall to work really well... :wink:

Cheers,
Abby

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Sounds very technical :wink: must be flushing the lactic acid / toxins out of the legs?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Course is used fairly often from what I can tell... But changes slightly quite often as well... But I think ( hope ) it is flat/slight rolling. The guy who wins the senior category who I race against often did it at 45 average last year... And he is the French tt champion. For me to be competitive I need to hit around 42-43 average for the older age group :-) .
For me a 25 km TT at race pace would be a really hard session... From doing HOP sessions in the past I know one a week is already pretty hard.
On the volume... That has dropped from 450 per week to 350 these days... With in that is 100km racing / 70km hard group ride / lots of shorter "strava" runs usually around the 3-8 min mark vo2 and one longer climb 30-50min long ... Not much JRA at the moment... But for sure there will be a lot of JRA around in July but I get payed for that... Get home 24th July, hard work starts then...although 2 weeks holiday somewhere, need to convince my lovely wife that I need my bike there as well ;-) .
Here's my strava... http://app.strava.com/athletes/159853
There will be serious pain this weekend... Just hopefully no blood on the road!.
So the TT will take you 35 minutes. If you want to simulate the 35 minutes, perhaps you could do it on some local roads

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Monday off. Rode 50 kms medium pace on Tuesday but legs were still tired. Had Wed off. Today tried again but suddenly having warm humid temps again has hit me... should have done a bit of heat conditioning before last weekend as I always suffer when temp goes over about 28-30. Ended up with just under an hour today with one 10km effort at 40.5av ... need to do a LOT of work on position / FTP if I am going to get my speeds up another 10% to where they need to be :oops: .
Also have eaten like a depressed cow for 3 days... need to reign that in !!!.
So 10kgs still to lose and 10% more to find in 2.5 months :lol: .

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:43 am

Last 'hard day' yesterday prior to a big 80km handicap on Sunday (Avanti Classic). First time ever I've gone sub-51min for my commute (~23km) both ways on the same day, so very happy with that!!

Weighed in this morning at 76.5kg. SO that's about 13kg down since the start of the year, and leanest I've been in about 15 years, so confidence is pretty high... :D

Cheers,
Abby

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice weight loss Abby. I've got a 65k graded road race tomorrow arvo, and have cut back the training for three days as I've been a bit tired recently. There's so many bugs around.

osrg

Postby osrg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Finish work at 12.30pm on Friday's.... so off i go to Mt Gravatt for Reps, which weather permitting will be my friday arvo training run, because work starts at 5.30am each morning during the week. This is week 2 of this regime.

5 reps in total today:

8.21 (recovery)

Last week was 3 reps in total:

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

a hilly beaches ride with 1000m of climbing in 50kms.
hoping to do something flatter and longer tomorrow. :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2