[WARN: TMI/Graphical Text] Some help with some annoyingness

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi guys,

My body has been giving me some grief lately. One is being looked at, the other has been looked at but the problem persists.

About a week ago I have 3 pimples on the contact area between me and saddle, quite annoying that is. It got to a stage where it was very sore to ride.

I did have a history of getting pimples on my backside (no particular area) and this one was getting out of control, so I went to see the GP. The GP gave me some oral antibiotics to take. Now the session is over, two subsided (some others came up that are less annoying) but one stayed there.

I was told not to pop it by 13HEALTH, but I saw another thread here saying do pop it, so I'm struggling between the two.

I got my partner to check it out, and she said it didn't look like an ingrown hair (at least if it is, it's not visible from the outside). I tried popping it by squeezing, hurts like hell but only watery blood came out, didn't really feel the "pop", the next day it's still there...

Any suggestions?

Sorry for this topic, took me lot of courage to voice it :oops:
Brendan

ldrcycles

Re: [WARN: TMI/Graphical Text] Some help with some annoyingn

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 pm

I haven't got any advice to help, but good on you for putting the post up, stuff happens, it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Try using an antibacterial scrub like PhisoHex (avail from the chemist) for treating the pimple/infection. If you want to keep riding then use a chamois cream on the skin to help prevent further bacterial issues later.
If you are commuting, wash the chamois/knicks between rides and/or reapply chamois cream for the ride home.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Kenzo wrote:Try using an antibacterial scrub like PhisoHex (avail from the chemist) for treating the pimple/infection. If you want to keep riding then use a chamois cream on the skin to help prevent further bacterial issues later.
If you are commuting, wash the chamois/knicks between rides and/or reapply chamois cream for the ride home.
Would vaseline do any good?
Brendan

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:16 pm

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi,
I have had one in a similar area for the past few weeks, the last week I started putting a largish band aid on it when going for a ride.

This helped as it stopped the friction on it.

But I eventually popped it, and started using beta dine on it, which so far has done the trick.

They are a pain in the proverbial, doesn't make the ride very enjoyable.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:43 pm

This thread went a little bit over the top;

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... addle+sore

Since then I've not had any problems. As a preventative I use Skin Basics, Zinc and Castor Oil Cream on every ride longer than about 30 minutes, dirt cheap from the Dirt Cheap Chemist Warehouse chain, and Bepanthen for any minor outbreaks. They are both for babies bums and mum's nipples so they're good enough for my backside. :D

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:32 pm

TimW wrote:Magnoplasm ointment tis good :D :D

http://www.maynepharma.com/products/cur ... agnoplasm-
I went to the chemist today and that's what I was told to get. Went home, had a quick shower and chucked some of those on. Still feels the same at the moment, hope to see some improvement in the next day or two before my full-on bike fit on Monday!

And the nature of my work doesn't exactly help it (office/desk job)
Last edited by Brenchen on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Brenchen wrote:

I went to the chemist today and that's what I was told to get. Went home, had a quick shower and chucked some of those on. Still feels the same at the moment, hope to see some improvement in the next day or two before my full-on bike fit on Monday!
Put some gauze or tape over it, when you shower put a hot flannel on it before reapplying, you'll be dancing the highland jig in no time!!! :mrgreen:

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 pm

TimW wrote:
Brenchen wrote:

Put some gauze or tape over it, when you shower put a hot flannel on it before reapplying, you'll be dancing the highland jig in no time!!! :mrgreen:
I've got some bandage dressing over it, it's wayyy too big for what I need though... Just while we on the topic, could this be because of my saddle is not quite correct for me as well? Or just that wearing cycling shorts with/out cotton underwear on just makes that happen, nothing to do with my saddle type?
Brendan

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Not sure. i have Brooks saddles and good knicks, and only get them occassionally, and they are not big ones just pimples really, some of the others may be able to contribute more on saddle/fit aspect.Tim

edit, i just saw that you may wear undies under your knicks. Don't do this, go nude under your knicks, stops friction/ etc.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 pm

TimW, from this, and the older saddle sore thread I get the impression this is one of your favourite topics :D . Is it some thing about pain, or maybe bodily eruptions, or maybe the two combined? :twisted:

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:26 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Shame, shame ,shame. :lol:

All good advise though, helped me at the time, had a good laugh, thanks.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Brenchen, I do recall some time ago you were having knee troubles and had been altering your saddle height. If the saddle is too high your pelvis and crotch will be rocking from side to side and might cause chaffing, which could lead to saddle sores. Whilst you are pedaling your hips shouldn't move up and down, only your legs. Make sure there is a slight bend in your knee when the pedal is at the bottom of each stroke.
Sometimes, despite all efforts, saddle sores just happen. Hygiene is the number one factor. Clean shorts on every ride, no undies, clean "nether region" (in summer I often shower before a ride), use a butt cream (any of the brands mentioned , I use the zinc one to good effect), don't hang around long in shorts after a ride and wash afterwards. I use Isocol rubbing alcohol after riding, but be warned, don't get it on your knackers.
Oh, and a few days off the bike wouldn't heart either.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:26 am

That could be possibility as well. But how do I diferenciate between saddle sore and a pimple? I had a look at some images of saddle sore, but mine are not as big or as severe, so I doubt it's a sore?
Brendan

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 am

Saddle sore, pimple, boil, carbunkle, cyst, they're all much the same thing . It's just a question of scale.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Regardless... Cleanliness and hygiene. These are the things you need to remember.... and no, Vaseline is not good enough.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 pm

^^ But methylated spirits is!^^ :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:^^ But methylated spirits is!^^ :mrgreen:
Same warning as for Isocol. Use sparingly and don't splash it around. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Has much the same effect as that VEET hair removal stuff, 'cept it won't take the hairs off.
Keep it off yer bollocks.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:41 pm

If you don't want to pay the exorbitant price charged for chamois creme, you can get a 500ml tub of generic sorbolene creme from the chemist for less than $10. My personal preference is for QV creme which is a little more expensive but still good value. Apply it liberally to the chamois and a little to the body. While you are at the chemist, get a tube of Paraderm creme, an antiseptic also containing an anaesthetic which will ease the discomfort.
If you have a cyst it won't burst until it's good and ready, which may take months. Or you can ask your GP to lance it. Ouch!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 pm

RonK wrote:If you don't want to pay the exorbitant price charged for chamois creme, you can get a 500ml tub of generic sorbolene creme from the chemist for less than $10. My personal preference is for QV creme which is a little more expensive but still good value. Apply it liberally to the chamois and a little to the body. While you are at the chemist, get a tube of Paraderm creme, an antiseptic also containing an anaesthetic which will ease the discomfort.
If you have a cyst it won't burst until it's good and ready, which may take months. Or you can ask your GP to lance it. Ouch!
That sounds good anyone else can voucher for this as well?
Brendan

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:20 pm

No more saddle sores for me, recumbent seat fixed it :mrgreen:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Brenchen wrote:That sounds good anyone else can voucher for this as well?
Sorbolene is good stuff. Free of perfumes and most chemical nasties, I use it on my face in winter for dry skin. I remember reading that it is as effective as any of the expensive moisturisers, and non-irritant. Never thought of using it on the other end. It should help prevent chaffing and saddle sores.... on the backside that is.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:27 am

Tim wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:^^ But methylated spirits is!^^ :mrgreen:
Same warning as for Isocol. Use sparingly and don't splash it around. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Has much the same effect as that VEET hair removal stuff, 'cept it won't take the hairs off.
Keep it off yer bollocks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah true! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km