superlite vs olympic vs victory tri A ?

giantguy

superlite vs olympic vs victory tri A ?

Postby giantguy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I posted this question in the repco appreciation thread but I didn't get any response.

Basically I would like to know from any repco collectors that have all 3 models or have ridden all 3 models of bikes. What difference is there in the ride quality ? I understand that the better models were probably double butted chromoly and a bit lighter but how does that rate in the way it rides. Is it a slight difference or a large one ?
Is it the same difference stepping up from a heavy hi tensile 10 speed to a superlite ? If the bikes are faster than the superlite is there any negative effect such as becoming twitchy in steering or control.

I ask as I have seen a few olympics for sale which I understand are double butted chromoly as opposed to the superlites straight gauge chromoly on the main tubes so it's probably a bit lighter.
I like the way my superlite rides but like most riders, I would like to try a lighter steel frame if it's the right price. I'm not into racing but use my superlite mainly for going for a fast recreational ride or charity events.

I previously has a nice light (for steel) 1985 trek 500 but the frame was too small for me and very twitchy and I nearly crashed it a few times. Also many years ago I owned a giant kronos with triple butted chromoly tubes but I can't remember how that rides compared to my superlite.

I know I should probably go and ride a few of these bikes but I don't want to waste the sellers time or my own travelling to see one if there is little real difference between the bikes for general riding.

landscapecadmonkey

Re: superlite vs olympic vs victory tri A ?

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 pm

giantguy wrote:I posted this question in the repco appreciation thread but I didn't get any response.

Basically I would like to know from any repco collectors that have all 3 models or have ridden all 3 models of bikes. What difference is there in the ride quality ? I understand that the better models were probably double butted chromoly and a bit lighter but how does that rate in the way it rides. Is it a slight difference or a large one ?
Is it the same difference stepping up from a heavy hi tensile 10 speed to a superlite ? If the bikes are faster than the superlite is there any negative effect such as becoming twitchy in steering or control.

I ask as I have seen a few olympics for sale which I understand are double butted chromoly as opposed to the superlites straight gauge chromoly on the main tubes so it's probably a bit lighter.
I like the way my superlite rides but like most riders, I would like to try a lighter steel frame if it's the right price. I'm not into racing but use my superlite mainly for going for a fast recreational ride or charity events.

I previously has a nice light (for steel) 1985 trek 500 but the frame was too small for me and very twitchy and I nearly crashed it a few times. Also many years ago I owned a giant kronos with triple butted chromoly tubes but I can't remember how that rides compared to my superlite.

I know I should probably go and ride a few of these bikes but I don't want to waste the sellers time or my own travelling to see one if there is little real difference between the bikes for general riding.

there are so many more variables. wheels, tyres, group, etc
i have several Repcos.
Superlite old old. Beautiful - but im running GP4000s, and its nice, but heavy. Old Pro500 brakes so stops on a prayer
Old 1983 Centurion. Low spec. Tange 5. 27"x11/4 tyres....very heavy, but smooth as silk. One of my favourite rides. Heavy, but off the saddle can match most (commuters) up hill.
Repco RX sport. Light(ish) Low spec 300ex group, rough as, but niceish enough for a $30 bike. And looks flash with the black/red vomit paint work
Repco Victory Tri-A....but old wheels and 300ex.... light on hills, but on flats (80% riding, no where as nice as my Centurion Sports DX). I run old straight tread tyres, so the 'ride'feels unsure-ish
Repco Olympic 14..... lighish (not as light as Victory but lighter than (not-so)Superlite) but running 23 tyres at 120psi so feels rough, but quick.....

Nicest Ride over 12km commute = 1983 Centurion Tange 5 / steel rim / suicide brakes / 15kilo+ retro ride.

As i said....weight / feel / tyres / image / feel / look...........so many variables / so many perspectives....

To go into a metric-evaluation of each would take subjective weighing factors that would likely offend some and excite others.

What bikes have you got... you peaked my interest... :-)
chop wood

giantguy

Re: superlite vs olympic vs victory tri A ?

Postby giantguy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Currently I commute on Giant atx 840 MTB which is set up with a rigid chromoly fork and slick 26 x 1.25" tyres and pannier racks.

For faster rides I have a rebuilt 1991 repco superlite which I bought for $75 with exage 300EX gear on it. I sandblasted and repainted the frame, new 700 x 25 gatorskin tyres, 7 speed cassette, chain and rebuilt the original wheels with new stainless spokes. It rides very nicely.

Other bikes I have a 1984 Indi 500 road bike with high tensile (heavy) frame which is soon to be sold. Giant Yukon MTB (1992?) with a rigid chromoly frame. Old rigid Apollo MTB, Raleigh Twenty (1975) found in a council rubbish pickup. Also many other bike frames and parts I find along the way.

I tend to prefer older steel bikes over what is generally available in bike stores these days and perhaps because its the type of bikes I grew up riding on.
I have bought, rebuilt and sold a few bikes lately mainly because I wasn't completely happy with the feel or the frame size wasn't quite right or it was taking up too much room in my shed and wasn't being used.

Probably the best quality bike I had was the Trek 500 with Reynold 501 tubing. My lightest steel bike to date at around 10.5 Kg. Nice feel to the ride but it was a little too small for me. I found at higher speed the steering was quite twitchy which caused me some concern and it had some toe overlap in tight turns.
After I rebuilt the superlite I didn't use the Trek so I sold it,