Open Question on Commuting wheels

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Greetings all,
A semi Poll, more of a request for experiences on Commuting wheels used...
I am looking at a new set of wheels for my flat bar commuter, 40km each way, roads and shared paths, virtually flat. Max price to $280-300 (did some O/T so have some play money.. :D )
The questions are related to your experience, or of those you know, not shop/distributor speek thanks.
1. wheels you use?
2. your average weight (no need for Grams, just rough kg. :) I am usually about 95 :oops: )
3. Wheels you have used and would not use again, why?.
4. wheels that I should not even bother looking at...
Thank you all for your reply's. Armed with this info, i should be able to stop procrastinating about them...
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

Ozkaban

Re: Open Question on Commuting wheels

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:12 pm

In that price range I reckon the Mavic Aksiums are pretty good. About 1800g, which is not light but not that bad for a commute bike, pretty stiff and roll nicely. I have a set on my commute that have done about 4,000km and they're still going strong. I run Prolite braccianos on my fun bike and they're nicer... but they cost more. The bike that I have the braccianos on came with Shimano R500s which when you spun them in your hands you could feel the bearings. The braccianos are buttery smooth in comparison with the Aksiums in the middle. I'm about 85kg.

Cheers,
Dave

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 pm

In that price range, I'd look at Fulcrum 7s or Pro-lite Comos.

I'm trying to lose weight and currently floating somewhere between 92 and 95kg.

The trick is to watch your tyre pressures with wheels in this price range. Don't over-inflate your tyres. Ignore what it says on the sidewall. 85 to 100psi should be your target range in 23mm tyres (585 to 690kpa).

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 pm

32h or 36h Velocity Deep-V wheels with their cheap hubs (or spend a little more and get the sealed bearings). Tough as you are going to get. A little on the heavy side, but still perfectly usable as wheels on a road bike and will make hardly any difference on the flat, and you are commuting so the couple of nano-seconds of acceleration you will lose will be compensated by waiting at traffic lights for nano-seconds less anyway.

All the other wheels recommended have low spoke counts and if you you break a spoke on a < 32h wheel, you may have trouble getting to work or home. <20h wheels, forget it you are getting the bus/taxi/rescued. And you will probably break a spoke at some point.

Seriously, low spoke count wheels don't really cut it for commuting over long distances for a long time. Yes, I've had hand made wheels by a well known Sydney wheel maker. They didn't last to well either. I'm around 76-80kgs depending on pies :).

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:51 pm

I roll on 32h/32h Deep V's and am about 85kg, they're not the lightest but they'll take a beating. For commuting I prefer my wheels to be overbuilt, well actually I prefer all my wheels to be overbuilt.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 pm

simonn wrote: <20h wheels, forget it you are getting the bus/taxi/rescued. And you will probably break a spoke at some point.

Seriously, low spoke count wheels don't really cut it for commuting over long distances for a long time. Yes, I've had hand made wheels by a well known Sydney wheel maker. They didn't last to well either.
+1 for this advice. I had a spoke rip out of the hub flange of my 20h front wheel when I was just rolling along one day on the way to work, I'm only 70 kilos though so I was able to finish my commute, but the wheel was rubbing on the inside of the fork it was so badly untrue.

Since then on some 32/36h wheels (mavic cxp 33 & mavic ma40 rims w/ shimano hubs) no troubles. I suspect even if I bust a spoke I won't have any big dramas getting in/home. I'd avoid velocity's cheap hubs if you can, it was one of them that broke on me. Shimano are my pick for reliable/inexpensive hubs. Velocity rims are solid though (especially deep Vs).

spewyewi

Postby spewyewi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 pm

32H Mavic open pro's on Ultegra hubs from Velomine.
95-100 kegs
price depends on the exchange rate...if you want to go a bit cheaper get the 105 hubs.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm

lethoso wrote:I'd avoid velocity's cheap hubs if you can, it was one of them that broke on me. Shimano are my pick for reliable/inexpensive hubs.
I would too. However for a $280-300 wheelset there might not be the choice as I suspect a shimano hub + velocity rim means a custom build. However, my wife has done a few thousand kms on them with no worries.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Fulcrums might have a low spoke count, but they are a very tough and well built wheel. If you follow my advice and don't put more than 100psi into your tyres, these wheels should last a very long time.

At the other end of the spectrum, there is a guy on these forums who weighs 115kg and has had no problems with his low spoke count Campagnolo Eurus wheels at any pressure... but they cost 3 times as much.

Reman

Postby Reman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Currently running r500's and have been researching wheels up to $500, so sort of close to your range. The R500's are 20/24 spokes and at over 90 kegs I don't think I would want to run anything less, and the funny thing seems to be the more expensive the wheel set the less spokes it has, go figure.

So the short list came down to
- Pro-Lite Braccianos
- Fulcrum Racing 5s

From what I have found the Braccianos are higher spec'd than the Fulcrums and have the spoke braces so I am definitely leaning that way.

But I'll definitely now have a look at the Velocity's too. Any other wheel sets out there worth considering?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:34 pm

For commuting, I wouldn't do anything less than 32 spokes. 36 spokes are better, and depending on your commuter (and your bike), bomb proof rims are also a good idea.

My Hyrbid Commuter came with Bontrager SSR stock wheels. They were useless. 20 spokes in a fancy lacing pattern. With so few spokes the rim must be heavy to handle the extra tension, and as others have pointed out, when a spoke breaks (it will!), you'll be walking home.
Low spoke wheels are a con for the everyday bike rider. Sure, they look fast but it is a false enconomy. You really don't want to be breaking spokes/walking home, then catching the bus while your wheels get repaired.

So, my advice:
1) get some good hubs from Shimano (e.g. I got a pair of new Ultegra 6700 Road Hubs for $130)
2) get some good 32H rims
3) get the wheels laced with a standard 3-cross pattern and double-butted spokes

I have my old commuter wheels in my garage, Ultegra Hubs (as above) laced to Mavic A719 rims. They are as bomb proof as you can get. 17,000km without any issues, currently out of service as I sold the bike they were attached to (bike sold with the unused Bontrager SSR wheels).

I am just about to build up some new commuter wheels based on Deore XT 6-Bolt Disc Hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims. So far the hubs + rims have cost me $200, so just the spokes to buy. That should add about another $50 for a total build cost of $250 (I am cheap labour!)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 pm

(IMHO) light ally wheels with affordable and not to thin tyres in either side-to-side or amount of tread. For inner city riding 20mm is asking for trouble and, once pumped up to what they prolly need to be, may as well be substituted for pram-cord (which at least has the added benefit of being totally puncture proof).

If you are sticking with trad cross-spoked wheels then I never see sense of two-crossing fronts and three-crossing rear if you are carrying loads. Add a crossing even if you have to have them rebuilt. Especially on the back. Spoke repair is one of the few repairs that cannot be easily done on the road.

Perhaps some attention to the belting in the tyres so that they do not blow out but, for most purposes, the rest is floss.

(An extreme example of basic over expense - I remember when I had an old EJ holden. They didn't even bother with an oil filter, you just changed the oil twice as often. You could then use a cheaper oil as well. Back then that was a good economic choice.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

zoom bean

Postby zoom bean » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:01 am

From my 65-70km daily commute perspective:

1. wheels you use? 36H Mavic CXP33 on Ultegra Hubs - These http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2 - Fantastic wheels, strong and roll very nicely. Just in your price range but maybe slightly more once shipping is added and depending on exchange rates. Expect at least three weeks wait on shipping.

2. your average weight - same as you 95

3. Wheels you have used and would not use again, why?.

These wheels lasted around 10-15,000 km and while being great and strong at the time I probably wouldn't recommend them due to the longevity/cost ratio:

TWE Custom built 32H, great wheels but a little pricey for me and the hub body wore very quickly and rim broke towards the 15,000km mark.
32H Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs, lasted a little while but rim failed at around 10,000km mark.

4. wheels that I should not even bother looking at...

All these started failing at around the 2,500-5,000 km mark for me so won't be going near them again or recommending you look at them: Shimano R500, Fulcrum R7, DT Swiss R1900 & Kore Gradient SL

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:31 pm

My bike came with Shimano RS10 wheels. After a few thousand kms I broke 2 spokes in a short period of time.

1. Cracked it and bought the Pro-Lite Como's
2. My standard commute is just over 21kms each way
3. weight is around 83kgs (was 86kgs last year) - when commuting I carry a backpack. so backpack, me and bike is over 100kgs
4. shimano rs10
Have well over 3000kms on the Como now and still going strong.

1. Cheap ($170 delivered)
2. Heavy
3. Tough as nails
4. Reliable
5. quick delivery
6. Deon is on the forum to answer any q's

I've just swapped from Vittoria Randonneur 28c to Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25c tyres. For commuting, I want to get to work (yes, I do go the long way, often). So strong was a must, heavy is a part of that strong.

I have a set of shimano RS-30 wheels for the weekends (which I have enough brownie point to be allowed out) - I run 23c tyres on them.

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Greetings all, and Thank you all for your replies, and experiences. :D :D
I will now stop looking at shimano 500/501's as commuting wheels, saved some coin, thank you.. :D
Unfortunately, mainly due to the way I am, it has not stopped me procrastinating... :? :? :oops: :roll:
But it has narrowed down my options, but also positively expanded my options..
Thanks all, will update when i finally get them, and put some miles/Km on them..
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

Reman

Postby Reman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:54 pm

As my bike is a commuter, the R500s that came with the bike will stay on until they break. By then I may have even talked myself into a custom build...

Definitely lest us know what you get and what swayed you and a of course a report on how they roll :D

geraldobeavis

Postby geraldobeavis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm

I have been considering both fulcrum racing 5s and shinano rs 30s. Rs 30s seem to be cheaper. My commute is between 8 and 20 km depending on route/time, but also go for a longer ride each weekend

Giant Defy 2

ray

Postby ray » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I use a set of fulcrum 5s for commuting they have done 2500kms. Been through some bad roads and potholes and they are still true. I did buy some spare spokes for them but haven't needed to replace any yet. the weight limit is 109kg and warning if you are over 82kg to be vigilant and inspect them more often. Nice wheels was a good upgrade from the ones that came with my fb. Not too heavy I ran 25mm front and 28mm wide tyres rear.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:02 pm

1. Custom built 18 year old wheels. Campagnolo Omega rims on Shimano Ultegra Hubs.
2. Just under 90 kg
3. Only bike I've ridden since 1994
4. Anything carbon. Not worth the money for commuting. Also, anything with a low spoke count. If you're 90 kg and hauling backpacks/panniers...you want something strong and reliable.

You can get Ultegra hubs for under $200. Then $100 to spend on some good alloy rims and lots of spokes. 32 3x both wheels and you'll be laughing.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:17 am

gauchoracer wrote:Greetings all, and Thank you all for your replies, and experiences. :D :D
I will now stop looking at shimano 500/501's as commuting wheels, saved some coin, thank you.. :D
Unfortunately, mainly due to the way I am, it has not stopped me procrastinating... :? :? :oops: :roll:
But it has narrowed down my options, but also positively expanded my options..
Thanks all, will update when i finally get them, and put some miles/Km on them..
Max...
You can get two sets of Pro-Lite Como's for about what you're looking to spend at the moment.

Maintain the hubs they will last a very, very long time.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=61
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am

Rode to work on my cosmic carbone SL's today, sure I wouldn't do it every day but you need to have fun sometimes too.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 pm

+1 for the comos, definitely pick them over the r500's, not sure the price difference.

the only thing with the como's is you will need tubes with the longer valves. My short valved tubes just don't fit.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm running R500s on my commuter. After over 8,000 kms the front wheel is going strong but the bearings on the rear at 7,500 kms became really noisy.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

konazz

Postby konazz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm running a front 32H Velocity deep V with a Dura-Ace AX front hub, bladed spokes - got the wheel off ebay for $45.

I've got a handbuilt 36H Velocity Deep v with an Ultegra 7900 rear hub and double butted spokes. About $300+ for the wheel.

I'm 135kg + another 10kg in my panniers and my brooks (lead) B17 saddle. So far, so good.
2011 Allegro Touring 105 groupo, Ultegra Velocity Deep V rims