Plenty and Donohue Highways

GJ_Coop

Plenty and Donohue Highways

Postby GJ_Coop » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 am

For those of you contemplating hacking your way to or from Alice Springs the Plenty and Donohue Highways are worth considering.

I've done a bit of a writeup of the useful info at my site.

Aushiker

Re: Plenty and Donohue Highways

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 am

I really shouldn't read your posts :) Another highway/tour to consider :)

Thanks for writing this up and sharing.

Much appreciated.

Andrew
Andrew

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 pm

thanks fot the info.

in cairns atm, considering going through the plenty once i get to mt isa to alice springs for a bit off road.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Polish are you now planning to go down to alice springs before going back up to darwin?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Meditator wrote:Polish are you now planning to go down to alice springs before going back up to darwin?
Yes he is going to Alice Springs
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:03 pm

That wasn't my question b.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 pm

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... sch&itbs=1

I also found this useful website which describes lots about the road.

GJ coop, would you say this road would be easy to drive with a subaru wagon. When i am doing my trip to alice springs in september, my plan is to drive to alice, then ride about for a month, then drive back to the east, heading down to sydney.

It might be really hand if i could take the plenty and donohues back to winton because its further south than going back to mount isa.

part of me wonders whether this car i'm driving will last the whole journey. Its quite old. If i break down badly along the way i can just get on my bike and continue that way. And catch a bus if i am running short of time to reach my other assignations.

I've got a fair bit of experience driving and riding on dirt roads though i am not going to go and buy special tyres for my car for this journey. IF you think its too risky and i doubt there's much traffic on thsi road, then i should probably stick to the bitumen road.

At least driving on a dirt road, i should save on petrol because i would automatically drive more slowly.

Any thoughts?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I"ve just had a look at your pictures gjcoop. Very nice pics and give a good idea of what the place looks like. The sort of pics i like.

So it does look like my car could handle that if its all like that with no nasty surprises, easy creek crossings are ok. Nothing deep or with big rocks. ??

About showing your pics, i can see the size of your pics is different but have you ever looked at photoblog. YOu can put them up there for free but they are smallish. If you want them bigger a membership would cost about $24 per annum. I've been with them for a few years now and i like it a lot.

Then you could have a link to your photoblog site and people wouldn't have to download them. Not that there was a problem doing that. I just wondered if it would be cheaper or easier for you.

In fact it would be cheaper to put your whole blog up on photoblog. There are quite a few controls but still formatting is somewhat restricted. I barely adjust what i do on the site. I like it spare and simple but others have made changes. with colours and such. the archives for blah blah. but i guess you wouldn't want to go that far anyway. Just saying its a cheap option.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:14 am

Meditator wrote:That wasn't my question b.
He is heading down to Alice and then going to darwin. From the instructions I got from him he is going on Barkley Hwy and then down to Stuart Hwy to Alice and back up to Darwin
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Meditator wrote:Would you say this road would be easy to drive with a subaru wagon.
Dunno, I've given up driving cars.

Great on a bike though.

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Meditator wrote:blog up on photoblog.
Not interested in having bigger pictures on the web, I'm keeping them for myself.

My host ain't too expensive, $68 a year for unlimited sites and virtually any amount of traffic. I've still been updating my blog at Crazy Guy, somehow I think that is enough. Anyway I like having my own design.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Fair enough about the photoblog.

but my question about the road, having driven a car, are you not able to assess whether the road is ok for a 2 wheel drive. Although my car is 4 wheel drive its not toyota or etc. I mean do you pictures show only the good bits or is it all like it is in your pictures?