what do you eat when the 3pm munchies strike?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Just wondering......

The morning is usually ok for me and i can get from brekkie to lunch with either nothing or fruit & some nuts. but by 3/4pm i can't ignore the munchies (despite probably already having had some more fruit) and I'm so BORED of fruit, chewing gum, nuts.....

Today my ride home was fueled by an embarrassing mix of smarties, mini choc bars and sesame snaps (and damn, i went fast! :wink: ) but just wondering if anyone else has the same problem and whether you just give in to your desires, or actually have a strategy to avoid it.

I'm not over weight but i would be happy not to increase! I just find the increased appetite that goes with increased exercise difficult to control!

RonK

Re: what do you eat when the 3pm munchies strike?

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Yep, go and have a big drink of water.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 am

Pumpkin salad..... with fetta and balsamic. or any other tasty salad. You could also slightly increase the size of your earlier meals.

arand18

Postby arand18 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 am

protein based snack not carbs based. and yes a big glass of water.

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:43 am

Are you no eating enough earlier in the day?

My usual arvo snack is a banana. But sometimes instead a piece of bread with a smear of peanut butter. Or a Carman's muesli bar. All of them do the trick for me...

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Nuts. Cashews or almonds are my preference. Easy to keep, store on or near your desk, don't go off or stale. And high protein, low GI. A small handful will definitely cure hunger.

diggler

Postby diggler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm glad I'm not bored of fruit. Oranges and pink lady apples are in season. They are cheap and sensational. There is a whole world of fruit. Try a different fruit or add low fat yoghurt.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Lunch. I'm lucky to have a workplace where you pick your own smoko/lunch times, so when i'm commuting on the bike i have lunch really late, makes a huge difference with a 42k each way commute.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:31 pm

I have a big tub of carb/protein powder under my desk.. it's a combination of powdered oats and max's supersize (mainly carbs).. I have a big drink at 10am and 3pm, in addition to a decent sized breakfast, lunch and dinner..

With all the cardio I'm doing, I'm still losing weight :(

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Everything in site... Hardest time of the day for me :-( .
One trend I have been noticing is on the weekends I do a lot of km's racing and taking in a lot of sugar, the week after i crave food much more... Usually mid afternoon. Takes me 3 or 4 days to get back on track.
Otherwise coffee coffee coffee...

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Tip 1.
As others have incinerated, you are probably not eating and drinking regularly and adequately enough earlier in the day.

Work out how many Calories you spend in a day, then divide by 3.
- Before midday, eat the result plus 100
- midday to 6pm, eat the result plus 100
- after 6pm, eat the result less 200

i.e. you spend 2400 Cals in a work day / 3 = 800. So, 900 in the morning, 900 in the afternoon, 600 in the evening.

For lunch, I find a very large salad (or salad sanga), or stir fry with lots of veges, both combined with a good serve of protein, keeps me satiated longer. Generally, afterwards, an orange or apple and couple of glasses of water get me through to dinner.

Tip 2.
Staying in neutral fluid balance is also critical, so a good idea to drink 2x250 mls glasses of water (in addition to caffeinated drinks) before main meals, and 1x250 ml glass before snacks. (though you may need more water than this.)

Tip 3.
Go to bed early. If you stay up past 930-10pm, most of us disrupt biorhythms and normal appetite.

vince

Postby vince » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 pm

on ride/gym days i usually want, sorry, crave......... milk????? of all things, normally wont drink it unless its in a cup of tea. so far no - one can explain this craving either.
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 pm

rogan wrote:Nuts. Cashews or almonds are my preference. Easy to keep, store on or near your desk, don't go off or stale. And high protein, low GI. A small handful will definitely cure hunger.
+1. Almonds in a zip lock bag (what else?) in the top drawer.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Nuts can be 50% oil ... best to consume grams of something else!

slarv

Postby slarv » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Boiled eggs.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 pm

thanks for all the suggestions - yes i do eat a LOT :oops: (but in my defence i am training a lot. well, quite a bit....)

by mid afternoon i would have already had
an egg
toast
at least 3 or 4 pieces of fruit
almonds (and more often than not a snack pack of nuts & raisins)
salad or beans & rice
yoghurt
lots of chewing gum
endless cups of peppermint tea interspersed with fizzy water

i'm wondering if a bowl of porridge or muesli might be the way to go....

(yes, i am also one of those people that would eat everything in sight given half the chance, especially in this cold weather! maybe i'm just addicted to masticating :wink: )

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Can I hazard a guess you have no idea how many Calories/kJ you expend from day to day, or your daily average over a week?

This is worth spending the time to find out. If you want a hand with it, PM me and I'll help you.
The reason a lot of us start gain weight as we age, is we still eat the same amounts of higher energy density foods, when we should be decreasing those and eating more low energy dense high nutrient dense foods.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 pm

thanks PawPaw, will do.

what are examples of the low energy high nutrient foods?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:31 pm

fab at forty wrote:what are examples of the low energy high nutrient foods?
primarily vegetables and salad, and some fruits. Even pumpkin and sweet potato are comparatively low energy.

lean meats are also more filling and low energy density compared to processed cheeses, eggs, fattier meats, nuts, starchy carbs (pasta, rice, bread).

as we get older, or more sedentary, it's a good idea to increase your portions of vege and salad, and cut the portions of starch and fatty proteins.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 pm

what makes you think i'm getting more sedentary?? :wink: although i can't deny i'm getting older....

actually i don't eat meat, cheese, pasta, white rice or white bread (so the intention is to eat as clean as possible) but damn, i can't resist chocolate (or my own baking :lol: )

slarv

Postby slarv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 am

fab at forty wrote: lots of chewing gum
It is my understanding that the act of chewing kick starts the saliva glands and stomach juices to get ready for food. This might be contributing to your munchies. I am not a chewing gum expert so take that information with a grain of salt.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm

I usually find a 3pm snack of Coke, Twisties and a chocolate bar does it for me.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:53 pm

::raises hand:: Yep, a daily struggle for me! I keep a ready arsenal of fruit handy and hydrate like a maniac but still fall victim to 3pm syndrome on a tiresomely regular basis. Chocolate is my go-to, yes, you can set your watch by me slinking furtively up to the vending machine AGAIN :oops: Now and again I try to fill up on non-sugary stuff and I'll shamefully confess to a crumbed chicken & cheese snag earlier in the week, erk :|

I think with me to a large degree it is behavioural, and at times I've actually considered getting re-programmed but figured there were probably worse vices than a Snickers or two between friends ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 pm

rather than count calories, work out your macros and hit your protein first, than either fill the rest with fats or carbs.

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].
For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

There are then a number of other formula which calculate BMR. This means it calculates what you need should you be in a coma.
1/ Harris-Benedict formula: Very inaccurate. It was derived from studies on LEAN, YOUNG, ACTIVE males MANY YEARS AGO (1919). Notorious for OVERESTIMATING requirements, especially in the overweight. IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DON'T USE IT!
MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

2/Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

As these are only BMR calculations To convert BMR to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result of your BMR by an 'activity variable' to give TEE.
The Activity Factor is the TOTAL cost of living, NOT JUST YOUR TRAINING. Think about it - if you train 1 hr a day - WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE OTHER 23 HRS?! So MORE important than training -- it includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
Average activity variables are:
1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

How Accurate are they?: They give rough ball-park figures and are still 'guesstimations'. So the aim is to use these as 'rough figures', monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks, & IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, you have likely found maintenance.

General guidelines for protein would be as follows:
- Moderate bodyfat = 1-1.33g per pound TOTAL weight [or ~ 1.25g/pound lean mass if bodyfat known]
- Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie = 1.25 - 1.75g per TOTAL weight [or ~ 1.35 - 2g/pound of lean mass]
- Very HIGH bodyfat, Inactive, = 0.8 to 1g per TOTAL weight [or ~ 1 x LEAN mass]
Anecdotally, most find these HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
Average or lean bodyfat: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so - but carbs are important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS. [carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity)].
If you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training I would suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)

For 'others' - to calculate your carbohydrate intake you calculate the calories left over from fats/ protein:
carb cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams above x 4] + [fat grams above x 9])
carb grams = (p cals + f cals)/ 4
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Estimating Requirements
The simplest method is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
Hmmm....

I am a male, 87kg, 20% bodyfat. BMR is ~1800 Cals, TDEE = 2300. 30 * 87 = 2610 Cals.
That 300 Calorie overestimate is going to see me with 14kg extra fat at the end of a year.

For an 87kg 'normal' woman, BMR = 1650Cals and TDEE = 2100 Cals. So they'll be 23kg heavier at the end of the year.