Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

hitchhiker

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Apollo3 wrote: I plan on making the yellow one into a speedy racer and will leave the blue one as is, what is a good upgrade for the brake levers, I like the ones on the blue bike shown up a bit, I've thought about replacing the SORA brakes on my Giant Defy 2 with Tiagra ones and wondered if the sora would fit on these classics?
I think it will be difficult to make the Sora brakes fit. They are likely to be the recessed type and the Apollo will probably only take brakes with exposed nuts. I think you can get some sort of adapters but I've never used them.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:46 pm

The yellow looks pretty original and I seem to remember that it was a standard III colour. The brakes were center-pull up to about 1981 and were then changed to side-pull. I don't remember the blue as a standard colour for any Apollo so it may be a reconstruction.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm

hitchhiker wrote:
Apollo3 wrote: I plan on making the yellow one into a speedy racer and will leave the blue one as is, what is a good upgrade for the brake levers, I like the ones on the blue bike shown up a bit, I've thought about replacing the SORA brakes on my Giant Defy 2 with Tiagra ones and wondered if the sora would fit on these classics?
I think it will be difficult to make the Sora brakes fit. They are likely to be the recessed type and the Apollo will probably only take brakes with exposed nuts. I think you can get some sort of adapters but I've never used them.
ok, thanks again HitchHiker

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:06 pm

DarrylH wrote:The yellow looks pretty original and I seem to remember that it was a standard III colour. The brakes were center-pull up to about 1981 and were then changed to side-pull. I don't remember the blue as a standard colour for any Apollo so it may be a reconstruction.
There was darker blue under the current blue where it had chips in the paint, couldn't see any other colours. I'm a fan of blue so I'll leave it as is :-)

Thanks for the headsup regarding the brakes, that explains it then since it's an 81 model.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:44 pm

hitchhiker wrote:Yours seems to be in excellent condition.
It needed some work, I had it serviced and got a matching can of spray and fixed the major imperfections then polished and waxed it, the shiny bits I used a chrome polish to restore. New tyres, pedals, tape and stand helped the look.

I went for a 70k night ride on it last Wednesday to test out a new light, it rode beautifully and I even managed to beat some Strava times from my rides on my Giant Defy 2... :-)

Bought for $40 from a tip store, so far I've spent just shy of $500 but money well spent in my mind.

Lots of memories riding around with mates in the 80's on an Apollo II plus there are memories dinking hot chicks to and from school!.. ;-P

spewyewi

Apollo Jaguar

Postby spewyewi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi

I have a 60cm Apollo Jaguar, flouro yellow, 27 araya rims, lots of rust on the spokes and cheapo steel bars and stem.

No-name crankset and brakes.

The frame would make a fun retro commuter/pub bike for a tall person.

Free of charge, pick up from St Ives Sydney 2075. :D

Come and get it or it's going out for Council Clean up....too much stuff in the garage and sick of time wasters on Ebay.

PM me if interested...first come first served.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 am

Hey Apollo3, a good "period" upgrade for your brake levers are the non aero diacompe ones with the little quick release doover at the top of the lever that swings to one side. these are $39 delivered to your door off everyone's favourite internet gambling ........... i mean auction ........ website

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Paddles wrote:Hey Apollo3, a good "period" upgrade for your brake levers are the non aero diacompe ones with the little quick release doover at the top of the lever that swings to one side. these are $39 delivered to your door off everyone's favourite internet gambling ........... i mean auction ........ website
Cheers mate, I'll see if I can find what you're referring too but that sounds like what I'm after. :-)

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Some Apollo's at the local tip store today (Mugga Lane - Canberra)

http://flic.kr/p/cgXbdU

http://flic.kr/p/cgXaLW

http://flic.kr/p/cgXb5N

I grabbed the pink one for my Sis, Jag wasn't my size and the II just didn't need it. Surprised the Jag was as heavy as it was.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Paddles wrote:i'll make it easier for you
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diacompe-Non ... 2c61ce5d94

Do the Shimano R400 or R600 levers fit these bikes?

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 am

yeah, they'd work fine. but i just personally prefer the old school levers with cables out the top on older machines, it just makes them look .......... right, but whatever you are comfortable with is the ones to use

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 am

Just noticed this thread, and a mate of mine in Melbourne sent a pic of his 80s pride and joy. He recently got back into racing it, and is very competitive.
He has no intention of changing to a contemporary bike.

singlespeedscott

Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:32 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Drools ...... The mythical Apollo VI

rebelcontender

Postby rebelcontender » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 pm

rebelcontender wrote:Picked up today from gumtree.

Will be kitted out with a spare Nexus 8 I have, a rack and some bags for a daily commuter

finished mechanically for now. just needs a few accessories

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 pm

That looks really nice with those super slack angles.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rebelcontender

Postby rebelcontender » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That looks really nice with those super slack angles.

Thanks, Its super comfy judging by the one quick ride Ive had. I really like it, and Its a lot cheaper and far more unique than an 'off the shelf' IGH commuter

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:*****Pic Snipped******Drools ...... The mythical Apollo VI
Hmmmm. That looks very similar to an unidentified frame I bought recently on this forum....the fork crown, rear 'dropouts' and brake bridge. And semi wrap around seat stays? Does the VI have Columbus dropouts? Do you know what tubing is used?

Edit: maybe not; the fork crown isn't lugged.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 pm

WRT Stuey » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Per Rob74 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 pm

=>> From my "APOLLO NEWS - World of Wheels (WOW) Catalogue, Warren Norris Advertising 984.

APOLLO VI – 12 Speed
Colour: Pearl White
Frame: 019 CrMo double butted frame
Forks: CrMo

WRT Dropouts unsure.

Rob

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks Rob. Everything but the fork crown looks like the VI. Nothing on the internet. I wouldn't imagine Apollo would use Columbus bits though.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Will ask my Melbourne mate what the tubing is. he just bought an 80s Cellini frame made of Columbus SLX and another Suntour Superbe Pro groupset, both via ebay. Below is an extract from an email he sent last year in which he attached the Apollo pics.

"It was since May of this year that I decided to get back on the bike after twelve years had passed since I had last raced/ riden with the Southern Veteran cycling club, so I was pretty happy with my accomplishment with fairly short training time frame.

I must say that when I started riding again (in my woollen top that I've worn since 1977) I felt somewhat out of place riding a classic steel alloy race bike given that most bikes on the scene now are carbon fibre or to a lesser degree aluminium. But when I "googled" my bike and the components on it, I was pleasantly surprised to find the there is a loyal following and collector base for this type of bike and the group set components are sought after as a collectors pieces. I always knew I had purchased a top quality bike in 1984 but it was only in the last six months (with the advent of the internet) that I became aware of the significance of the Suntour Superbe Pro group set. This I guess rekindled my passion for cycling.

Riding for me has been a life long passion. It's just that such a lot of time is required to commit to training to ride competatively and being competative by nature, this has always been a difficulty for me, hence the long period off the bike due to young family, etc.

Now that I have reattained an increasing level of fitness which I am happy with I will most likely start racing again in the Veteran criterium and road classes - yes on my old bike. I will alter my training to include faster, more intense rides and will incorperate more climbing work to improve leg strength as leg speed is not an issue with spin speeds just short of 200rpm. Leg strength I regard as important for me as my lowest gear is currently 42- 21 but usually 42 - 18 on a 13 -18, 6 speed cluster. No index shifters on this baby!"

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Apollo ?Imperial? "1983 American release"...Dura-Ace EVERYTHING, made by Kuwahara, Osaka Japan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61083644@N03/

Very neat & pre the High Spec Australian released APOLLO VI.

Rob

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Rob74 wrote:Apollo ?Imperial? "1983 American release"...Dura-Ace EVERYTHING, made by Kuwahara, Osaka Japan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61083644@N03/

Very neat & pre the High Spec Australian released APOLLO VI.

Rob
That is a thing of beauty. Makes my Apollo III look older and heavier than it usually does

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Apollo3 wrote:Some Apollo's at the local tip store today (Mugga Lane - Canberra)

http://flic.kr/p/cgXbdU

http://flic.kr/p/cgXaLW

http://flic.kr/p/cgXb5N

I grabbed the pink one for my Sis, Jag wasn't my size and the II just didn't need it. Surprised the Jag was as heavy as it was.
Haha , a mate called me about the lilac coloured apollo 2 lunchtime today.....its now in my shed ! I had to rescue it :D
Thats three apollos in my small shed....need more space :?
What side of canberra are you in ? I Like your blue 3.
When in doubt......mumble.

Waldo05

Postby Waldo05 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Guys,

Just found a Apollo II at the local tip, is it worth getting it would only be a few $$, I think its a bit smaller then my Repco Traveler.

The Apollo is 12 speed, is this a better fram then my Repco Traveler?