Help me decide on first Fixie

Electric Lele

Postby Electric Lele » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 am

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase my first SS/Fixie bike in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate some more trained eyes than my own to critique the two bikes I'm looking at.

I currently commute about 5km to work in the morning and about 15-20km home along Beach road here in Melbourne each day on my hardtail mountainbike. And a combination of being sick of getting passed by roadies and not wanting to put too much wear and tear on my MTB has lead me to look at the easy maintenance, fitness benefits and speed of a SS/Fixie bike. I also want a bike for longer weekend rides, and to build up my fitness for MTBing.

So to the decision: I've set myself a budget of around $500 and narrowed it down to a couple of options.

1) 2011Jamis Sputnik - http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/ ... ik_bk.html

2) Azzurri Pista - http://www.azzurribikes.com/azzurri.asp ... =42&PID=53

As you can tell from my options I like the style and geometry of a track bike but I'm not too sure how that will translate to the road.

I've read reviews of earlier model Sputniks and they get excellent reviews but I'm not too sure about the later models? And I haven't been able to find any reviews of the Azzurri at all but it looks like a pretty solid bike to me.

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions of other bikes I should be looking at.

Thanks
Tim

BRLVR.v2

Re: Help me decide on first Fixie

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:31 am

Fuji classic track. Best value entry level in this field.

slarv

Postby slarv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Fuji classic track. Best value entry level in this field.
Is the Fuji classic track actual track geometry?

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 am

Love my classic track, a bit on the heavyer side for km's though. The Jamis looks similar to the classic track/declaration and the azzuri from quick glance looks like it might be a bit lighter and uglier ( too me ). Yes, yes, weight has little meaning on a track.

See em in person, compare weight build quality and add on components. They are all nice, I don't think you can go very "wrong", it's just budget, purpose and taste.

My classic track has a longer than normal wheelbase.

Electric Lele

Postby Electric Lele » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to check them out in the flesh this weekend so I'll see if I can track down a Fuji Classic to test ride as well.

I'm finding a few Fuji Feathers around too, are they worth considering for the extra $$?

Gururug - You mention wheelbase length, is this an important aspect for a fixie? I noticed the Azzuri has a slightly smaller wheelbase (962) compared to the Jamis (987) or the Fuji classic (980).

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Classic and feather are same frame, but different head tube/set and fork. Fuji has higher bb as per track bike. Longer wheelbase is to help avoid toe overlap(a bonus for road riding). Just not as snappy on the handlkng, but anything will be sharp compared to you mtb.

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 pm

It will effect your turning. "Comfort" aka straight line designed bikes go longer in the base. Sharp turning or "race" bikes go shorter.

I like both and the classic is not "overly" long, still allowing you to sift through traffic and hold a line well. So it's a good balance.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 pm

It would be good to test ride each one with the closest fitting size. I think comfort is more important for longer ride to build fitness.

Please also consider the gear ratio and tyres that come with the bike. Though they can be changed, why resale or waste new items...

Electric Lele

Postby Electric Lele » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll let you know how I go.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi

I ordered an Azzurri Pista today, at $399 + $49 delivery less 10% it was too good a price to miss out on.

No expert on the subject but the spec list looks decent, 7005 Alum, carbon fork, looks good, warranty decent and all for the price of a fashion shop fixie.

Let you know how things go when it arrives.

Cheers
JM

dugy

Postby dugy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Assume it's this?
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/azzurri-pista.aspx

What u doing for brakes?

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 pm

NOBR AKES

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Dugy

I am (probably incorrectly) assuming that a front brake along with reflectors will be included in the box to make the sale legal.

Should brakes not be packed then I will just suck it up and get a front brake from an old bike or buy one, they can't be too expensive.

JM

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

I'm waiting on someone with a post count less than 4, to come in a suggest a Reid.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Azzurri Pista arrived and is assembled.

Cons - Need to get a front brake, spokes on front wheel need tightening & tyres don't look like they would handle the roads I commute on.

Pros - very light, 7005 Alum & Carbon forks, skinny tyres, looks great in matte black.

I'll put some mountain bike pedals on it and use mtb shoes, not keen on cages. Then just to get some Conti 4000's on her and we're laughing.

$400 delivered still sits well with me!

JM

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:50 am

Those Azzuri's look like a decent bit of kit for the $, let me know how it rides.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:29 pm

malocchio wrote:I'm waiting on someone with a post count less than 4, to come in a suggest a Reid.
This guy will be along in a tick http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/membe ... le&u=21832