Cracked frame????

aschaefer

Cracked frame????

Postby aschaefer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi all,

I hit a large rock at speed on my Anthem 29er, taco'ing the front wheel.

I have noticed some very fine cracks in the paint around the head tube (on the top of the top-tube/head-tube junction, near the weld)

First, do you think a crack in the frame (alloy) is likely, given that cracking;

Second, what is the general process for getting something like a stress fracture fixed, or is the frame stuffed?

I'll try work out how to upload an image, if possible.

Cheers,
A

Jean

Re: Cracked frame????

Postby Jean » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 am

Yeah, need a photo, but fine cracks in the paint doesn't sound good. My MTB frame has cracked too (along a weld) and at first it looked like a flaw in the paint. At least that's what I told myself when I first saw it - but deep down I knew. :(

Started the warranty claim process yesterday and there's no MTBing in my immediate future while I sort that out and continue building up the replacment that is already in the works.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:21 pm

More likely to be a bend in the frame if you hit the rock head on. Still a problem as it will probably crack over time.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Check your fork stanchions as well. A mate of mine taco'd his front wheel on his Anthem without suffering a frame crack, and when I sold it on his behalf via eBay the buyer came back later complaining the forks were bent.

My "mate" didn't tell me he's taco'd it, he claimed the spokes all came loose due to a faulty build and the bike shop replaced all the spokes. Why they did that rather than simply retensioning became clear when the buyer rang me. :evil:

That will be the last time for quite awhile before I sell something on eBay on someone's behalf again.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 pm