radar speed check on m7 cway

coops

Postby coops » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:00 pm

There was someone out today checking the speed of cyclists at (I think) Church St entrance Rooty Hill. Did anyone stop to ask what it was about? I assume there have been complaints from walkers regarding speed of cyclists? He could have just looked at the appropriate Strava segment :wink:

maestro

Re: radar speed check on m7 cway

Postby maestro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:33 pm

coops wrote:There was someone out today checking the speed of cyclists at (I think) Church St entrance Rooty Hill. Did anyone stop to ask what it was about? I assume there have been complaints from walkers regarding speed of cyclists? He could have just looked at the appropriate Strava segment :wink:
Probably a pedestrian trying to make a point. I'm not sure of the legalities, or if there is even an enforceable speed limit (apart from "travelling at a safe speed") for a cycle or shared path.
It could also have been someone doing a survey for a petition or news story.

I remember years ago there was a woman who would stand on the side of the road pointing her hair dryer at cars trying to get them to slow down.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 pm

maestro wrote:I remember years ago there was a woman who would stand on the side of the road pointing her hair dryer at cars trying to get them to slow down.
Was it double barrelled? :lol:

maestro

Postby maestro » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:48 pm

trailgumby wrote: Was it double barrelled? :lol:
Haha... Unfortunately I can't find the article any more, although if you google "hairdryer speeding" then it appears to be quite widespread.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:52 pm

maestro wrote:Probably a pedestrian trying to make a point. I'm not sure of the legalities, or if there is even an enforceable speed limit (apart from "travelling at a safe speed") for a cycle or shared path.
I'm not happy if i don't break 65km/h on an M7 ride..
What are these salesmen peddling?

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Wayfarer wrote:I'm not happy if i don't break 65km/h on an M7 ride..
At what section and for how long? My cat can beat 65km/h :mrgreen:

Put it up on Strava :wink:

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
maestro wrote:Probably a pedestrian trying to make a point. I'm not sure of the legalities, or if there is even an enforceable speed limit (apart from "travelling at a safe speed") for a cycle or shared path.
I'm not happy if i don't break 65km/h on an M7 ride..
If it's not on strava it certainly did not happen :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 am

Buwahahahaha STRAVA speaks for itself. It also shows the group trending. It also shows the solo training. LOL!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 am

coops wrote:There was someone out today checking the speed of cyclists at (I think) Church St entrance Rooty Hill. Did anyone stop to ask what it was about? I assume there have been complaints from walkers regarding speed of cyclists? He could have just looked at the appropriate Strava segment :wink:
There have been at least two serious incidents in this vicinity with man-traps on the cycleway injuring cyclists. The most recent I'm aware of was October 2011.

There's an anti-cyclist nut-bag in the neighbourhood, and you'd be doing us all a favour if you can report this to Rooty Hill Police on the basis that this might be someone impersonating a police officer. A very serious offence.

If the police confirm it was an official operation, might be worth asking as to what the basis for their action was - was it motivated by a complaint and/or injury to a pedestrian ?

The bit that's curious here is that the residential population there is quite sparse (it's a flood-plain), and you rarely see walkers or joggers on that segment.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

wombatK wrote:
There have been at least two serious incidents in this vicinity with man-traps on the cycleway injuring cyclists. The most recent I'm aware of was October 2011.

There's an anti-cyclist nut-bag in the neighbourhood, and you'd be doing us all a favour if you can report this to Rooty Hill Police on the basis that this might be someone impersonating a police officer. A very serious offence.

If the police confirm it was an official operation, might be worth asking as to what the basis for their action was - was it motivated by a complaint and/or injury to a pedestrian ?

The bit that's curious here is that the residential population there is quite sparse (it's a flood-plain), and you rarely see walkers or joggers on that segment.

Cheers
I can tell you uncategorically, that the Police Would NOT, conduct a Radar enforcement or speed checks on a privately owned cycleway, I would bet my left and right nut on that fact.Tim
Ps Closest Police Station is Mt Druitt, or Blacktown.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm

There were two bicycle police just reaching the Windsor Rd end of the cycleway around 5:30 pm on Tuesday evening. Been a while since I've seen any, but in the past they've started and ended their patrols at the Windsor Rd end. Maybe a complaint has triggered some action, but whatever the reason, it was nice to see them.

cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:26 pm

There were some Police on the cycleway tonite near the M7 Sunnyholt Rd exit, well their Police car was on it, bugger the cyclists :roll:

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 pm

zozza wrote:
At what section and for how long? My cat can beat 65km/h :mrgreen:

Put it up on Strava :wink:
On the way down south, there's a few deceivingly downhill section, from elizabeth drive, all the way back to the cow-living area. Hammer down the hill, you can easily hold that speed (flat section alongside the m7), and maintain a good speed over the hill where alot of guys like to stop. Donate a garmin or whatever, and I'll gladly put my internet-time where my mouth is. 8)

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am

zozza wrote:There were some Police on the cycleway tonite near the M7 Sunnyholt Rd exit, well their Police car was on it, bugger the cyclists :roll:
I didn't see the police car but at about 10pm last night there were two cars parked with no one in them. There were some of those tubes off the breath testing machines on the console. It was very hard to get past - I think they may have been getting drink drivers off the road. If they got two accidents waiting to happen off the road I think that would be a good thing but why put their cars or the footpath (they should have made the possible offenders get them towed or moved away) - the cars were gone this morning.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

eon

Postby eon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Donate a garmin or whatever, and I'll gladly put my internet-time where my mouth is.
stuff the garmin -> why not just come Tuesday night and bring them skills n mouth w/ ya :wink: .

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

eon wrote:stuff the garmin -> why not just come Tuesday night and bring them skills n mouth w/ ya :wink: .
I finish work at 6.30 :cry: and I only have a time trial bike :wink:

Benz250

Postby Benz250 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I saw a copper there at the same spot a few weeks ago in a Saturday arvo, remembered thinking it was a bit strange to be checking speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 pm

wayfarer wrote:I finish work at 6.30 :cry: and I only have a time trial bike :wink:
That's ok, Ehly's usually a bit late too, and I'm sure he can bring his SS if he knows you're bringing a TT. :lol:

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm

there have been reports of assaults in the cycleway around the rooty hill area. this might be the reason.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
eon wrote:stuff the garmin -> why not just come Tuesday night and bring them skills n mouth w/ ya :wink: .

Wow! We have a "PROPEYSIONAL" quality rider here! 8)

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:23 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:

Wow! We have a "PROPEYSIONAL" quality rider here! 8)
Ano ang tekstong propesyonal?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 am

It was also posted on the M7 safety thread, but it seems there are now 30km/h speed limits indicated by various signs. They indicated shared pathway and then the standard 30km/h limit sign, with a note that "cyclists are advised not to exceed 30km/h", along with another note advising us to ride to the conditions...

Anyone here know for sure if it is an enforced speed limit or just an advisory?

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 am

g-boaf wrote:It was also posted on the M7 safety thread, but it seems there are now 30km/h speed limits indicated by various signs. They indicated shared pathway and then the standard 30km/h limit sign, with a note that "cyclists are advised not to exceed 30km/h", along with another note advising us to ride to the conditions...

They are not speed limit signs, read the fine print on the sign and it is a 30 kph "advisory" which is somewhat different.Tim

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 am

TimW wrote:
g-boaf wrote:It was also posted on the M7 safety thread, but it seems there are now 30km/h speed limits indicated by various signs. They indicated shared pathway and then the standard 30km/h limit sign, with a note that "cyclists are advised not to exceed 30km/h", along with another note advising us to ride to the conditions...

They are not speed limit signs, read the fine print on the sign and it is a 30 kph "advisory" which is somewhat different.Tim
In other words they are covering their arses in case of accidents etc due to lack of control on bends etc.