Mt Gravatt Hill Climb this morning

whichway

Mt Gravatt Hill Climb this morning

Postby whichway » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 am

Today (Sunday) there was some sort of organised ride up Mt Gravatt. Anybody know what that was?

Abby

Re: Mt Gravatt Hill Climb this morning

Postby Abby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:57 pm

I believe it was the Balmoral Junior Tour. Two-day, 3-stage race for junior riders, organised by the Balmoral Cycling Club.

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am

First time up the Vatt this morning. Live practically at the base of it and should have been up there before now. Not too bad, about as difficult as expected. Hoping I'll get a taste for it and want to do repeats.

Not exactly built for climbing, but practice make perfect right?

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 am

I try and include Mt Gravatt every ride either at the start or even better when fatigued at the end.
Personally with repeats the main challenge is not dying of boredom.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:00 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:First time up the Vatt this morning. Live practically at the base of it and should have been up there before now. Not too bad, about as difficult as expected. Hoping I'll get a taste for it and want to do repeats.

Not exactly built for climbing, but practice make perfect right?
Congratulations, our group was running late due to one member getting a puncture half a k into our ride, otherwise we usually tack Mt G onto the end of our Tuesday loop....haven't done repeats there for a few weeks, must be time to work it back into my routine.
It will start getting busy there in the next couple of weeks as the Tri guys start getting back out on their bikes after their winter hibernation :wink:
Lisa

whichway

Postby whichway » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 am

Yes a good ride because you get to have a little rest half way up (on the flat bit) :D

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:12 am

whichway wrote:Yes a good ride because you get to have a little rest half way up (on the flat bit) :D
If you want to it's good to have the option, it depends what lap ur on.

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 pm

How does Mt Gravatt compare to Cootha? I've done Cootha before (slowly and painfully), would Mt Gravatt be a better or worse alternative to build climbing ability?

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

GTRmon7 wrote:How does Mt Gravatt compare to Cootha? I've done Cootha before (slowly and painfully), would Mt Gravatt be a better or worse alternative to build climbing ability?
Mt Gravatt is far easier than front Cootha which is far easier than back Cootha. My Mt Gravatt time is almost 3 mins quicker than Cootha back.
So in my opinion it would be a better starting point and go for as many reps as possible, which mountain is most convenient plays a big part.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 pm

GTRmon7 wrote:How does Mt Gravatt compare to Cootha? I've done Cootha before (slowly and painfully), would Mt Gravatt be a better or worse alternative to build climbing ability?

I've found that going to Coot-Tha on a regular basis has helped my climbing and riding in general...Mt G is easier I can do 4-5 repeats there, I'm a very long way from being able to do that on Coot-Tha :shock:
Lisa

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Up Mt G this morning once again. Why is it when you’ve done it on a 12-25 then next time do it on a 12-29 you still look for a bigger cog to change to?

Been ill lately and the lungs are still recovering. Lungs felt good, legs not so much.

Went up on a whim wearing the commuting back pack and also with the carbon clinchers on. Nice morning for it and now I’m under 100kg I seem a little quicker and the climbing is improving. Not yet ready for a repeat. But hope to soon. Descent was fine on the carbons with the yellow swissstops... not too much braking which is always fun.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:56 pm

What was your max speed on the descent? I did it on the mtb a few weeks ago and only managed ~65kph because of cars getting in the way on the way down. The mtb has disc brakes, so the ability to stop wasn't an issue. I'm sure i could get around 75 kph if there were no cars on the descent. I'l have to try the Vatt on the road bike sometime soon... Round trip from my place, up the mountain then back home is ~35km so it's a great little ride for me and good prep for Cootha.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm

What was Mount Gravatt like today with the wind? It was a killer coming back from Boondal over the Gateway. At one stage my speedo was showing me slowing down on the descent heading in to the wind.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

I only hit about 65 this morning. Was just cruising down, not putting any power down the descent. Still being a bit cautious with the brakes on the carbon. Got held up approaching a car at the last turn, where you tend to get to your peak speed if just rolling.

Didn't notice any wind to speak of.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:55 am

Another run up the Vatt this morning. Getting better at it now I think. Did a reasonably heavy effort of a River Loop on Tuesday and wasn’t till this morning the legs felt up to it. I now think I know the hill reasonably well and where the tougher spots are, which I reckon makes a big difference when apportioning my efforts.

First 500 out of the saddle for a bit of power and a quick start, second 500m is reasonably tough (for me) just spinning trying to keep the cadence up, third 500 is easy as the terrain flattens out a touch, then the final 500 is a little tougher as the fatigue starts to set in. Didn’t need as much time at the top for recovery before heading back down... may or may not have gone alot faster than before on the descent. :wink:

Didn’t have time for a repeat but reckon I’ll be doing them soon if I keep at it. Plan is to lose another 10kg, so the hills will help that.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Might throw Gravatt in to my morning commute, will be a big detour but should break the monotony of the same route everyday, the 42x25 should be fun with rack & panniers.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

Up and down Mt Gravatt this morning. Road wasn't in too bad a condition.

Just a couple of spots of loose gravel here and there. Not a problem on the way up and nothing too much to be concerned with on the way down if taking it easy. Won't be taking a full speed descent until the road is cleared of all the debris.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 am

I've done Mt Gravatt three times now; twice in a row yesterday. For someone who has always avoided hills, I was pleased to be able to make it up without stopping, but it was embarrassing how slow I was; especially compared to the others who whizzed past me! Also still gaining confidence in descending but actually got above 40kph yesterday. I know improvement will only come with practice.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 am

Nice work, just stick at it, and your times will improve.
There's no prizes for getting down in a hurry, especially when then's a lot of bike traffic, debris, gravel on the road and the gate is shut for most of the morning.
If I do push on the pedals going down it's when I have the mtn to myself.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 am

Dimma wrote:Nice work, just stick at it, and your times will improve.
There's no prizes for getting down in a hurry, especially when then's a lot of bike traffic, debris, gravel on the road and the gate is shut for most of the morning.
If I do push on the pedals going down it's when I have the mtn to myself.
Thanks Dimma. For me it's more a matter of releasing my death grip on the brakes rather than actively pedalling! :oops:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Venus62 wrote:I've done Mt Gravatt three times now; twice in a row yesterday. For someone who has always avoided hills, I was pleased to be able to make it up without stopping, but it was embarrassing how slow I was; especially compared to the others who whizzed past me! Also still gaining confidence in descending but actually got above 40kph yesterday. I know improvement will only come with practice.

Keep at it and Coottha will start calling...and your speed will improve!

:D
Lisa

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Venus62 wrote:I've done Mt Gravatt three times now; twice in a row yesterday. For someone who has always avoided hills, I was pleased to be able to make it up without stopping, but it was embarrassing how slow I was; especially compared to the others who whizzed past me! Also still gaining confidence in descending but actually got above 40kph yesterday. I know improvement will only come with practice.

Keep at it and Coottha will start calling...and your speed will improve!

:D
If it starts calling I'll be sticking my fingers in my ears! At least for a while yet...

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am

Been keen for a few repeats this week, but not keen for the decent on loose gravel and wet patches as is common accross the Mt Gravatt climb after rain. However went to pull in this morning and noticed the road is closed. Enough of an excuse not to do it for me. Not sure if closed only to cars or temporary works are occuring. Looked fine when I went up last week.

Will keep an eye out as I pass the entrance to the climb every day on my commute, for when it's open again.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Been keen for a few repeats this week, but not keen for the decent on loose gravel and wet patches as is common accross the Mt Gravatt climb after rain. However went to pull in this morning and noticed the road is closed. Enough of an excuse not to do it for me. Not sure if closed only to cars or temporary works are occuring. Looked fine when I went up last week.

Will keep an eye out as I pass the entrance to the climb every day on my commute, for when it's open again.
Thanks for letting us know. I've been giving it a miss due to the weather but am keen to start again if we even see the sun again.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:35 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Been keen for a few repeats this week, but not keen for the decent on loose gravel and wet patches as is common accross the Mt Gravatt climb after rain. However went to pull in this morning and noticed the road is closed. Enough of an excuse not to do it for me. Not sure if closed only to cars or temporary works are occuring. Looked fine when I went up last week.

Darn there goes my plan for the morning if it was fine...

Was it closed or was the gate still closed? If the gate is closed you can still get up as there is a opening on the right just wide enough for a bike to get through.

I wonder that if after all this rain there has been some damage to the road...there is a small section on the up-track just before the half-way mark where it looked to be some subsidence occuring in the road.
Lisa