Tool List and Spares

Aushiker

Tool List and Spares

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Just putting together my tools and spares for the Dreaming Tour and thought I would list here in case anyone has suggestions on what I may have missed or could leave behind:

Tools

Phillips screwdriver

3 mm Allen Key
4 mm Allen Key
5 mm Allen Key
6 mm Allen Key
8 mm Allen Key

8 mm ring/open ended spanner
10 mm ring/open ended spanner
11 mm ring/open ended spanner
Brooks saddle spanner

Small long nose pliers
Small side cutter pliers

Pitlock key
Spoke key
J.A. Stein Mini Cassette Lock

Two 10 cent pieces (great for setting the v-brakes)
Rag
Three tyre levers
Pump
Puncture repair kit including a couple of tyre boots and spare glue and patches

Spares/Repair Parts

Assorted bolts and nuts
Small roll of tie wire
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Cable ties
Chain lube
Two spare tubes
One spare tyre
Four hose clips (thanks to GJ Coop for that idea)
Two Connex chain links
One brake and one gear cable. New cables fitted to the bike.
Spokes

With the allen keys, screwdriver and and spanners I have every fastener on the bike covered.

Anything I missed? I haven't included a chain tool as I carry spare connectors. Should I carry a chain tool?

Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

il padrone

Re: Tool List and Spares

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Shimano joining pin and chain tool - in the event you do need to break the chain away from the connector link.

I carry a Park mini chain brute - quite compact. Also have a chain tool on my Topeak Alien.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:48 pm

yeah, I reckon some sort of chain tool, with your preferred combo of spare master links/replacement pins.

Had one or two occasions where the chain has wrenched, jammed & twisted. One or two links are bent to all buggery and need to be removed. Might be narrowing your gear range, or helping you rig up a single-speed emergency scenario - but still preferable to merely having an expensive diamond-framed scooter to get back you to civilisation. ;)

If you're not carrying a spare inner gear cable I'd consider at least an old length of inner gear cable (~10-15cm) cut from the end that normally rests in the shifter mechanism. i.e you still want the moulded stop on the end of it. Threaded through the barrel adjuster on the RD this can be good to also assist you jury-rigging a single speed scenario in the mid cassette range. I'm sure I've found pics or explanations of how to do this in the past.. but my cognitive Google abilities are failing me at the moment for a decent explanation or pic.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:02 pm

BB tool
Pedal tool if the hex keys are not part of that
Spare cleats shoe heels
Wet and dry sand paper but you might have that all ready in the puncture kit
Spare rim tape
Spare valves
Brake pads
Nitrile gloves
Spares for your gas cookers and filtration systems if you have them.
Spare air mattress patches and glue
Tent patches
Spare tent pegs
Spare batteries
Spoke nipples
Grease
Cone spanners if required if mentioned spanners are not part of that tool kit
Chain if you carry such a spare
Freehub spawls
Jockey wheel
Needle pick tool

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Spare jockey wheel - just one will do. If you loose one of these (roller axle seizure) your RD is stuffedopoulos. I've seen it happen couple of times.
Mandatory helmet law?

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Not sure of the type of shoes your using my mine have a tension strap and I carry spares of them as well.
When I mentioned cleats and shoe heels that also included the hardware as I thought I should make that clear as well.
This is over board but I carry a spare BB and a spare rotor plus outer cable housings for both shifter/brake as well.
Because I have disk brakes I also carry spare Avid CPS mount parts.
I also carry spare heat shrink to cover cable ends with to stop fraying and prepare spare cables buy using thin Cyanoacrylate glue on the last 12 inches of each cable so you can cut the cables knowing they won't fray.
Spare "O" rings for that equipment that uses them.
I also carry a few spare zipper pulls.
Spare money that is not in your wallet but else where both coins and notes.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Needle and thread plus some spare buttons if your carrying clothing that uses buttons.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Needle and thread plus some spare buttons if your carrying clothing that uses buttons.
Now that I don't bother with. Very few of my cycle-touring clothing has any sort of buttons. If they fall off I'll just wear something with zippers :wink: .
Mandatory helmet law?

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 pm

il padrone wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Needle and thread plus some spare buttons if your carrying clothing that uses buttons.
Now that I don't bother with. Very few of my cycle-touring clothing has any sort of buttons. If they fall off I'll just wear something with zippers.
Some of my clothing has buttons hence spare buttons but the needle and thread would be in the spare kit even if no buttons to mend torn clothing.

Spare shoe/boot lace for any laced shoes you are carrying I have my shoe lace on the end of my pocket knife as a lanyard.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:26 pm

il padrone wrote:Shimano joining pin and chain tool - in the event you do need to break the chain away from the connector link.

I carry a Park mini chain brute - quite compact. Also have a chain tool on my Topeak Alien.
Thanks. Added a chain tool into my tool bag. Will get a some pins during the week.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 pm

HappyHumber wrote:yeah, I reckon some sort of chain tool, with your preferred combo of spare master links/replacement pins...

If you're not carrying a spare inner gear cable I'd consider at least an old length of inner gear cable (~10-15cm) cut from the end that normally rests in the shifter mechanism. i.e you still want the moulded stop on the end of it. Threaded through the barrel adjuster on the RD this can be good to also assist you jury-rigging a single speed scenario in the mid cassette range. I'm sure I've found pics or explanations of how to do this in the past.. but my cognitive Google abilities are failing me at the moment for a decent explanation or pic.
Thanks for your sharing your advice Kym. Chain tool now in the tool bag. I will be carrying a spare gear and brake cable so should be covered there. I have also fitted new inner and outers, new chain, new brakes (gone to v-brakes), new tyres and new rear cluster. Front wheel is new as is the hub.

Hopefully covered all bases except for the BB.

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm

If you've got a good bike, you are rather overdoing it i think. Your trip is not that far. Have you figured out yet how much all this weighs?

Do you only clean your chain with a rag. I'd suggest an old toothbrush at least or some sort of brush.

Regarding the chain whip, i took one on my last trip in the territory because someone told me i should. I bought it then wondered about the wisdom of it. It weighed so much. And of course i haven't had to use it. I probably never will either. I wonder if what you've got to break a chain is just as good, and lighter.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 pm

If you've got a good bike, you are rather overdoing it i think. Your trip is not that far. Have you figured out yet how much all this weighs?

Do you only clean your chain with a rag. I'd suggest an old toothbrush at least or some sort of brush.

Regarding the chain whip, i took one on my last trip in the territory because someone told me i should. I bought it then wondered about the wisdom of it. It weighed so much. And of course i haven't had to use it. I probably never will either. I wonder if what you've got to break a chain is just as good, and lighter.

Instead of all those spanners, what about just a small shifting spanner. That's what a bike mechanic advised me to take. I bought it for $5 from woolies or something.

Two lots of tape is overkill. Its not that often you need to use it. Last trip i used some gaffa tape to tie up a broken shoe. On a previous trip i when i busted a pannier clip after falling off, i used a cable tie to fix it on and kept it there for the whole journey. Both of these were in outback australia. I don't think i needed anything of the kind on either of my india trips. I've never needed more than one bottle of oil for the chain. Though on my last trip, right near the beginning my gear cables were tight i had an to find some spray from someone. If the bike shop had done this when i took it in for service, that wouldn't have happened - beware of lazy bike mechanics. And beware of forgetful riders. I have to admit that i forgot to check my puncture kit and didn't realise it had no glue in it. When i got my one and only puncture, luckily i had a spare tube. And then that very same evening i met someone who was able to give a tube of rubber cement. I don't know whether that would have worked as so far i haven't had to test it.

I saw all this because i suspect that most people on this forum have much better bikes than i do so if i can do this well with a cheap bike and an even cheaper crummier older bike, then i can't see why you should have any more problems than me through just the usual course of riding. I know that guys can carry a lot more stuff than i can but still why carry more than necessary. If you were going around the world or through africa, then i'd say fine.
Last edited by Meditator on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Ricky I think you are more conservative than me :) I have learnt from bushwalking that one can over do the backups :)

That said you have reminded me about a couple of things.
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:BB tool
Is this really necessary? If concerned wouldn't it be better to replace before the tour? Mine has done 10,000 km. You have me thinking a rush replacement job is on the cards.
Pedal tool if the hex keys are not part of that
Yep, covered by the hex keys.
Spare cleats shoe heels
Thanks. Forgot about cleats. WIll fit a new set and through a set in the bag just in case. Have lost screws before so have some spares on standby.
Wet and dry sand paper but you might have that all ready in the puncture kit
In the kit.
Spare rim tape
Spare valves
Not sure of the value of this; actually valves probably not removable anyway. Rim tape could be replaced easily before departure no?
Brake pads
New ones fitted. Should be good I hope.
Nitrile gloves
Thought of this. Might throw a couple of pair on board.
Spares for your gas cookers and filtration systems if you have them.
Alcohol stove.
Spare air mattress patches and glue
Tent patches
Carry a small tube of silicone which covers the mattress, tent and panniers.
Spare tent pegs
Thanks for reminding me to check the tent :). I have a policy of peg out of the ground into bag, move on to the next ... so don't carry spares.
Spare batteries
Covered.
Spoke nipples
On the spare spokes so covered thanks.
Grease
I was thinking I make take a stick of dry lube. Good idea?
Cone spanners if required if mentioned spanners are not part of that tool kit
I will see if the spanners will cover this.
Chain if you carry such a spare
New chain fitted so should be good there.
Freehub spawls
Wouldn't know what to do with them :oops:
Jockey wheel
Needle pick tool
Thanks for the reminder. Now covered.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm

il padrone wrote:Spare jockey wheel - just one will do. If you loose one of these (roller axle seizure) your RD is stuffedopoulos. I've seen it happen couple of times.
Covered. Forgot to include it in the list.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:42 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Spare money that is not in your wallet but else where both coins and notes.

Ricky
Like the idea of splitting the money. Good point. I have read of guys o/s carrying a "thief" wallet, one they hand over if challenged.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:47 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Now that I don't bother with. Very few of my cycle-touring clothing has any sort of buttons. If they fall off I'll just wear something with zippers.
Some of my clothing has buttons hence spare buttons but the needle and thread would be in the spare kit even if no buttons to mend torn clothing.

Spare shoe/boot lace for any laced shoes you are carrying I have my shoe lace on the end of my pocket knife as a lanyard.
No buttons and no laces here. I do carry one of those hotel sewing kits, but. Comes in handy for rips in clothing, getting splinters out and serious wounds that need stitching :)

Andrew

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:33 am

Got to take notice of weight to utilitarian value ratio.

- put your spare tubes in tubigrip compression bandage, then you have something to pull over your bloodied elbow and knee.
- a couple of different lengths of velcro strap with fastener ends. great for securing headlight battery packs and snack bags. even ayup packs are prone to coming loose.
- get a pump that fits inside your seat post. I use the roadair2.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1yT_04WRv5o/T ... post+2.jpg
- length of fine wire. comes in handy for securing stuff when screws and nuts are lost.
- spare pair of nicks. wearing two pairs at once really helps keep saddle sores away.
- saddle cream, or just any old moisturizer applied liberally to crotch.
- spare garmin gps computer, because they are so friggin unreliable.
- list of water refill spots along the route so you don't have to carry an extra kg the whole way.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 am

PawPaw wrote:Got to take notice of weight to utilitarian value ratio.

- put your spare tubes in tubigrip compression bandage, then you have something to pull over your bloodied elbow and knee.
Fixomull does the knee trick. Might be a good idea but what do you do use for the tubes when you use the bandage? :)
- a couple of different lengths of velcro strap with fastener ends. great for securing headlight battery packs and snack bags. even ayup packs are prone to coming loose.
Only thing I have to "secure" is the PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable and if necessary that can go into the handlebar bag but a good suggestion neither the less.

- get a pump that fits inside your seat post. I use the roadair2.
Happy with my mounting of the Topeak ... there are options on a Surly Long Haul Trucker :)

- length of fine wire. comes in handy for securing stuff when screws and nuts are lost.
Yep in the list already. Learnt that trick on my Geraldton ride awhile back.

Regards
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 am

spare garmin mount?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:26 am

Yes Andrew I am more conservative but when I bike tour I aim to not seek help from anyone once I have left and remain self supported the entire time be it small or large tours. Bush walking yes watch the weight but riding bikes your not going to know it's there when in reality a spare parts list will be less than 1.5kg which is nothing in the total weight of all your riding gear.

BB Tool not a must have if you don't plan on taking a spare BB because if a BB goes and no crank puller and no BB your up the creek anyway end of tour until repaired.

Cleats again are over kill but my cleats are nylon and I wear them out on long tours so again this is just a heads up if you need spares but you have addressed it anyway.

Spare valves I carry because I have at time had valve failure and yes you can pinch them from the spare tubes but then the tubes are missing valves and that is a no no in my books.

With the tent pegs I have always found a few spares handy to use around camp and while sticks are fine the pegs are faster and more simpler to use.

With the grease dry lube maybe ok but it doesn't repack bearings hence real grease comment.

With the cone spanners you may only need the inner cone spanner if your bike has cones because your other tools maybe ok for the outer lock nut. Most normal spanners are too thick to hold the inner cone while the outer lock nut is tightened.

With the freehub pawls I have busted a few so carrying a spare set I can fix myself but if you don't know what to do there don't worry not much you can do.

Andrew I carry a "theft wallet" which contains 4 coins and $100.00 in small bills colour copied on a printer both sides which looks like the real McCoy then screwed up to look like well used bills. This trick has saved me once to give me the upper hand while the two thief's got distracted by seeing they had hit gold allowing me to put there lights out.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm

One other thing Andrew which you more than likely have covered is your spokes for your rear wheel make sure that you have both drive side and non drive side spoke lengths in the spare kit if there a different length.

Ricky

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:23 pm

What do you these for?

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:What do you these for?

Mike
Various parts of the bike/trailer/accessories that use a spanner. Not at home so cannot go other bike again to provide specifics.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Meditator wrote:If you've got a good bike, you are rather overdoing it i think. Your trip is not that far. Have you figured out yet how much all this weighs?
Your reference to distance is curious. A distance of 5 km or 5,000 km makes no difference: you can break a chain for example in either distance easy enough. What matters is remoteness and access to services. I am not sure about out of Darwin and Kununurra may have a bike shop but the only other town I pass through that has one before I am within shouting distance of Perth is Broome. Net alone the ability to get help in some remote areas where the traffic can be minimal.

Take a read of GJ Coop's journals and get an idea of what can happen and how one can keep moving if one can jury rig something ...

As to the weight ... yep have that covered as well.

Yep will be just using a rag and no I will not be using a toothbrush. I think I have a pretty good handle on what works in terms of chain cleaning :) Also and this is an important point is the choice of lube. In my case I am using Squirt on this ride. There is enough informed reviews of the product and the manufacturer's advice to suggest my approach is going to be fine.
Not sure about your reference to a chain whip. I haven't mentioned taking one and I don't believe anyone else has either or I missed the reference. Are you referring to the J.A. Stein Mini Cassette Lock? It weighs in at a 31 grams. If you have a smarter solution for removing broken drive side spokes then I am all ears or should that be eyes?

Keep in mind that for one remote section I will have heading out of Tom Price with 20 days of food on board and will at one point load up with five days of water. Being about to deal with the possibility of broken spokes is very important in my book. Irrespective of that particular section I still want to be able to repair a broken drive side spoke where every I am.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Andrew