29er, X12 or QR Rear Axle?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm doing some product research here (actually need some help to choose specifications for a 2013 stock order).

If you were buying a 29er frame and could choose between X12 or QR Rear Axle, would you have a preference towards either option?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:54 pm

QR because that is what my current rear wheel is on the 29er.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:57 pm

XC 29er for me, so QR rear.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Jean

Re: 29er, X12 or QR Rear Axle?

Postby Jean » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm

QR probably, though it might depend on what the bike's purpose would be (XC, trail etc etc)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Hardtail or duallie? If the second, what type of rear end?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

petie

Postby petie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:40 pm

QR for me. I reckon most would go for QR who are riding 29ers...

EDIT: I didn't realise you were talking about choosing dropouts! I would go x12 if i could pick, so long as you offered a wheelsets too! 8)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:41 pm

X12 - being bolt-through - stiffens up the rear end laterally, which makes a discernable difference to confidence steering through rough stuff.

So as much as I'd like to see the market stay with 10mm QR, I reckon it will eventually move to some kind of bolt-through, like the 20mm RS Maxle or the Fox/Shimano 15mm standard for the front. The question is when.

X-12 looks like the most-likely candidate for now. Until Shimano comes out with their version. :D

If you're thinking about ordering in product I'd go the current standard 10mm QR now and watch what the market does with the 2013 model year.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Hardtail or duallie? If the second, what type of rear end?
Hardtail
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:47 pm

petie wrote:QR for me. I reckon most would go for QR who are riding 29ers...

EDIT: I didn't realise you were talking about choosing dropouts! I would go x12 if i could pick, so long as you offered a wheelsets too! 8)
The new 29er wheelset I have coming is compatible with X12 and QR in terms of the rear.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm

trailgumby wrote:X12 - being bolt-through - stiffens up the rear end laterally, which makes a discernable difference to confidence steering through rough stuff.

So as much as I'd like to see the market stay with 10mm QR, I reckon it will eventually move to some kind of bolt-through, like the 20mm RS Maxle or the Fox/Shimano 15mm standard for the front. The question is when.

X-12 looks like the most-likely candidate for now. Until Shimano comes out with their version. :D

If you're thinking about ordering in product I'd go the current standard 10mm QR now and watch what the market does with the 2013 model year.
Its a difficult call, the frame I am looking at importing for the Australian market comes in either standard BB and QR rear, or BB92 and X12 rear.

The 29er wheelset I'm looking at bringing in will work with either. We also have a rigid almost road-looking fork as an option and I think some people might build them up as a high-end flat bar - for this purpose the QR would be preferable.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 pm

For mine, I doubt you'd get much stiffness benefit from a bolt up rear axle on a hardtail unless you're talking lightweight steel.
I'm still undecided as to the value of the pres fit BB systems, tho' a lot of makers seem to be going that way.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

Ahh, a slightly differnet equation then: BB92 and X12 vs BSA BB and QR? Easily the latter for me as I'm wary of press fit BBs and for a hardtail doing XC or maybe light trail riding a QR would be most adequate.

It also gives you a lot more wheel options. I'm tryingto build a 29er wheelset at the moment and accomodating a DIY build 15mm front through-axle is becoming a PITA. There are quite a few options around, but not as many as you would think and lots of them seem way over priced for what they are. Dealing with a X12 rear ATM would turn me right off.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Jean wrote:Ahh, a slightly differnet equation then: BB92 and X12 vs BSA BB and QR? Easily the latter for me as I'm wary of press fit BBs and for a hardtail doing XC or maybe light trail riding a QR would be most adequate.

It also gives you a lot more wheel options. I'm tryingto build a 29er wheelset at the moment and accomodating a DIY build 15mm front through-axle is becoming a PITA. There are quite a few options around, but not as many as you would think and lots of them seem way over priced for what they are. Dealing with a X12 rear ATM would turn me right off.
You're on the money Jean.

I'm leaning towards the BSA BB and QR option. I'm also feeling that we will probably sell as many if not more of these with the rigid carbon fork as a pretty flash flat-bar and in that scenario the QR would be preferable.

I'm also not keen on press fit from a servicing perspective, special tools required and all that. How is the BB shell going to hold up over time once the BB has been replaced 6 or 10 times?

MTB shopping does my head in, there is SO MANY OPTIONS!!

Zen Master

Postby Zen Master » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 pm

142x12 through axle rear ends are only useful on bikes that have a pivot located near the rear axle like an FSR/Horst Link, or any number of the faux-bar linkage driven single pivot designs (eg Kona). If you're on a hardtail or a dually with a solid rear triangle (VPP, DW-Link, Maestro) it really doesn't do much. Santa Cruz are releasing all their carbon frames with 142x12 because people are asking for it but their testing showed a stiffness increase as small as 2% on some of their frames. Since no one other than Specialized with their Roval wheels is actually taking advantage of the wider drop outs and making hubs with wider flanges, it really is a useless thing for many bikes.