Question re CO2 inflators

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 am

In the interest of saving space and a little weight in the back pack I have just bought a small CO2 inflator - two bottles and a screw on valve. Instruction/explanation are almost nothing.

So seekign some clarification:

I assume that by screwing the valve onto the bottle tightly it will then have cracked the bottle open.

Once this is done, does the whole thing remain fully useable for an extended time? Or does it leak out over a relatively short period - say a month or so.

I suppose what I am needing to know is - Do I leave the bits NOT fitted together for the time baing and then wait until I need to use it? I would rather not as I am sure to not find both the bottle and the valve at that time of need. Better to have the whole lot in my bag as one.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:18 am

I keep mine separate. I imagine it would be easy enough to bump the valve and loose your gas so I put them together just before I use them

greyhoundtom

Re: Question re CO2 inflators

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 am

I keep mine partially screwed in but not far enough for the inflator mechanism to puncture the CO2 container.

It keeps the whole thing together, and then it is just a matter of screwing it in the rest of the way when I need it.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 am

I keep them separate.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 am

Separate.
Be careful when using it, I've seen people freeze their thumb to the bare metal.
Damn convenient these things. I have been bringing home the used canister and putting it in the recycling in an attempt to reduce the environmental impacts of my laziness.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:In the interest of saving space and a little weight in the back pack I have just bought a small CO2 inflator - two bottles and a screw on valve. Instruction/explanation are almost nothing.

So seekign some clarification:

I assume that by screwing the valve onto the bottle tightly it will then have cracked the bottle open.

Once this is done, does the whole thing remain fully useable for an extended time? Or does it leak out over a relatively short period - say a month or so.

I suppose what I am needing to know is - Do I leave the bits NOT fitted together for the time baing and then wait until I need to use it? I would rather not as I am sure to not find both the bottle and the valve at that time of need. Better to have the whole lot in my bag as one.
Once you puncture the cannister, the remaining air will leak out within 24hrs - to inflate a tyre to 120psi you need an entire cannister anyway so you won't have much left (if any).
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 am

Gloves and glasses for PPE when you use them.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 am

jacks1071 wrote:Once you puncture the cannister, the remaining air will leak out within 24hrs - to inflate a tyre to 120psi you need an entire cannister anyway so you won't have much left (if any).
Thanks jacks, that's what I needed to know.

I only pump to around 50psi or so but with a more voluminous tyre (24x1.75) so I imagine a cannister for that too.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:37 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I keep mine partially screwed in but not far enough for the inflator mechanism to puncture the CO2 container.

It keeps the whole thing together, and then it is just a matter of screwing it in the rest of the way when I need it.
+1

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 pm

I keep mine separate as well (haven't had to use any as yet - touch wood).

And with MTB/wider tyres even though you're only pumping up to a lesser psi, the more volume required will empty most cannisters.
If you look on the manufacturer's website they will likely say what their cannister will inflate to for a given tyre size.

700C is usually around the 120psi mark and a 26" MTB tyre around 30-40psi (enough to get you home).

I would also make sure that when you buy the part that connects to your valve you get one with a control know, so you can release the pressure as quickly or slowly as you like....as I believe some that don't have the control knob can just start inflating at full pressure the moment you push it against your valve....and if you're not careful (or ready) you could waste half your CO2.

I also always carry two cannisters (just in case one doesn't work, or something happens and I need more CO2, or I get two punctures on the same ride)...and I always carry two new tubes as well.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:43 pm

In the interests of recycling rather than creating a new thread I thought I'd dredge up this one.

Despite 35 years of racing experience I have only ever used one CO2 canister to inflate a tyre and even then it was someone else's flat. My inflator came with an insulating sleeve and so I used it since I have a fair understanding of the physics involved and knew it'd get mighty cold.

I'm putting together a tandem for a mate and bought a Lezyne Road Drive CFH pump to go with it. This comes complete with a hose that can also be attached to a CO2 canister and the mounting bracket goes under a bidon cage with pump on one side and canister on the other. Sadly however the canister does not come with an insulating sleeve to stop your fingers freezing to it when it is used. Unlike my inflator there is no option to hold onto something else, the canister screws straight onto the hose which is presumably already attached to the valve.

My question is how much insulation do you need? I've discovered that a dead tube that I have is just the right size to make a sleeve for a bunch of canisters. Will this be enough or am I condemning him to a nasty surprise.

I'm hoping some of the perennial Black Cat competition leaders have come across this before. Not that I'm looking in Twizzle's direction in particular.

Cheers,

Cameron

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:49 pm

I've inflated tyres with co2 without a sleeve, it gets cold and I would resist the temptation to lick it but it's hardly life threatening.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm

drubie wrote:I've inflated tyres with co2 without a sleeve, it gets cold and I would resist the temptation to lick it but it's hardly life threatening.
Pity - that would make a great video :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks gents,

Since I've got the tube anyway, I'll make the sleeves for all the canisters I've got. It might be only a marginal benefit but it doesn't cost much.

Cheers,

Cameron

skull

Postby skull » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:34 pm

[quote="DoogleDave"a 26" MTB tyre around 30-40psi (enough to get you home).
[/quote]

30-40 psi on my MTB is at the top end of what is required.