Ross

Hit and run by Jim's Mowing

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 pm

exadios

Re: Hit and run by Jim's Mowing

Postby exadios » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2q2u2WA3s

Cyclist was VERY lucky :shock:
How do you know that it was "hit and run"?

The trailer license plate is visible. This definitely be reported to the police.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

:shock: That was really bad. I really hope that they throw the book at the driver... hitting someone is bad enough, but driving off just makes it that much worse!
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm

exadios wrote:

The trailer license plate is visible. This definitely be reported to the police.
Going by the comments at the end of the video it does not sound like they stopped.

I would be surprised if the driver even knew he hit the rider. The vast majority of those towing a trailer would not have any real situational awareness of the room they take up.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 pm

jcjordan wrote:
exadios wrote:

Going by the comments at the end of the video it does not sound like they stopped.

I would be surprised if the driver even knew he hit the rider. The vast majority of those towing a trailer would not have any real situational awareness of the room they take up.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
Exactly. In order for there to be a "hit and run" (whatever it is actually called in the particular state) the party that leaves the scene has to be aware that there has been an accident. I doubt whether this driver did know.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 pm

He knew there was a very real possibility that this would happen as he pulled alongside the cyclist, so no excuses. He knowingly turned once he had his nose in front IMO.
It's been posted to the Safe Cycling Australia FB page in case it helps.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:He knew there was a very real possibility that this would happen as he pulled alongside the cyclist, so no excuses. He knowingly turned once he had his nose in front IMO.
It's been posted to the Safe Cycling Australia FB page in case it helps.
A "very real possibility" and beyond reasonable doubt are two distinct standards.

Posting to FB does nothing to help. Reporting to the police does. I assume that the OP was the person taking the video. He has not said whether he has reported to the police. Looking at the video it appears to me that a charge of reckless or dangerous driving could result.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:24 pm

I posted to FB as we have a few ACT supporters. You never know who's behind you. And the distinction between possibility and reasonable doubt is hardly necessary. The positions and speeds of both speak for both, and both ensure the driver will have alot of explaining to do.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 pm

It was a hit and run. Driver did know they were there. The video is obviously longer than this, showing that the ute followed for some time.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Bloody hell that guy is lucky. Must win tattslotto and buy a camera now. And he's got better skills and reactions than I would've had. I would've gone FAAAAAAARRRRRKKKKK and the rest.

I hope Mr Driver gets some contact from the police. :evil:

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm

cp123 wrote:Bloody hell that guy is lucky. Must win tattslotto and buy a camera now. And he's got better skills and reactions than I would've had. I would've gone FAAAAAAARRRRRKKKKK and the rest.

I hope Mr Driver gets some contact from the police. :evil:
I think it is more important for the driver to have some contact with the court - which he will if this incident is reported to the police. This is why I think that it is imperative that a police report be made.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:58 pm

exadios wrote: I assume that the OP was the person taking the video. He has not said whether he has reported to the police. Looking at the video it appears to me that a charge of reckless or dangerous driving could result.
I just saw the video on youtube and posted link here, no connection to the rider or photogarapher though I do live in Canberra and have ridden on the road where the incident happened.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm

same - thats the streeton drive corner isn't it?

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Ross wrote:
exadios wrote: I assume that the OP was the person taking the video. He has not said whether he has reported to the police. Looking at the video it appears to me that a charge of reckless or dangerous driving could result.
I just saw the video on youtube and posted link here, no connection to the rider or photogarapher though I do live in Canberra and have ridden on the road where the incident happened.
Sorry, my mistake.

Since you know no more that what is in the video I would be a bit careful of claiming hit and run if I were you - the video does not show that.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm

disgraceful. looked deliberate to me.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Won't get a deliberate case up, nor a hit and run - but should be a slam dunk for negligent driving and fail to overtake safely, so points + 2 fines.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:39 pm

zero wrote:Won't get a deliberate case up, nor a hit and run - but should be a slam dunk for negligent driving and fail to overtake safely, so points + 2 fines.
agree, he'll plead SMIDSY and put on a "what? me?" display.

but he'll be spewing when the realisation hits that he was caught on camera :twisted:

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm

No injuries, thank goodness, but it also means that cops won't care - sadly.

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:58 pm

It's hard to believe some people get by driving like that... Of course he saw the cyclist, just didn't care.. Forgot he was towing his trailer perhaps.
What gets me is that cars do this all the time... Pass heading into a round-a-bout, etc.. to save 1 or 2 seconds & put lives in danger.

It's a total lack of care for fellow man/woman... I don't understand it.

He needs a good kick up the backside & a large fine & demerit points. Can't do his job with no licence...

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Gee, how good was the rider not to go down.
Agree, it was criminally sociopathic behavour by the driver.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm

I'll hafta wait till there's a better 'puter in front of me to see the vid, but going on comments so far...
Bloke is towing a trailer all day every day as part of earning a crust and he doesn't know how big it is and how it moves? Wouldn't wanna try that as a defence...

As well as a police report, Jim needs to hear about this. Think what the exposure could do to his good name.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:29 pm

I have sent Jims a link to the YouTube video, I would want to know if it was one of my franchisees...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Oxford wrote:
exadios wrote:...

Since you know no more that what is in the video I would be a bit careful of claiming hit and run if I were you - the video does not show that.
the video title on youtube is "Hit and run by Jim's Mowing", the OP is just repeating the title of the video.
Exactly. He has repeated the claim. I was trying to point out that he probably should not.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Complaint sent to Jim's Mowing. We'll see what sort of reply is forthcoming.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Oxford wrote:so what should he do, post it here and call it "accidental love touch from Jim's mowing franchisor"? :roll: do all (re)posted videos have to be renamed?
Maybe I should edit the thread title to "Alleged" or "Possible". I s'pose a "YOUTUBE:" up front wouldn't go astray either... :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011