Boy on bike struck by car

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 am

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brea ... 6409685147

A TEENAGE boy riding a bike has suffered head injuries after being hit by a four-wheel drive in Sydney.

The incident happened shortly before 2pm (AEST) yesterday as the 13-year-old boy tried to cross Mitchell Road in inner-city Alexandria.

An 81-year-old man driving a Ford Maverick was questioned by police and released, and the boy was taken to Randwick Children's Hospital with head injuries.

He remains there in a stable condition.
2012 Oppy A4

Sydguy

Re: Boy on bike struck by car

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 am

This is a clear cut case.

Hint ---> "...riding a bike..."

Really hope this kid pulls up ok, another reason why the city needs to introduce a 30km/h limit for motor vehicles.

Driving like voting should require certain tests to see if the people is capable of exercising those rights. I really hope when I am 81 that there is adequate public transport. No way would I contemplate driving through the city with any of my senses dimmed.

JM

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:20 am

So sad to hear of terrible incidents such as this :cry:

While there is no evidence at this point in time that the 81 year old driver was responsible, and while I'm only a couple of years away from that stage myself, I'm absolutely convinced that anyone over the age of 70 should be retested for their ability to drive safely, and then again every three years.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Sydguy wrote:I really hope when I am 81 that there is adequate public transport. No way would I contemplate driving through the city with any of my senses dimmed.
My dad is 83 and driving quite happily. A couple of years back my brother in law was complaining about dad driving badly and threatening to get his licence pulled. I drove in the car with him a couple of times and did not see any behaviour to be concerned about - he was a little more cautious but displayed no problems with judgement nor any erratic driving. My wife's uncle was still driving at about 84yo and beyond. He was at our place for a family gathering and telling us about how one of his weekly activities was to go out and take the "old folks" for a drive as an outing :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:29 pm

my son and his friend were riding across a pedestrian crossing when his mate got hit. all are ok except the car bonnet. BMX's are solid
they shouldnt have been riding there, but had stopped before moving off. The police werent to bothered as no one was hurt, and though they should have been walking their bikes, thats not an excuse for the driver who collected my sons friend.
i was surprised to know that 14 year olds are not supposed to be riding on the footpath. Apparently its 12 and under in NSW. Thats one rule i dont care if they break for now, 14 is too young and stupid to ride on a road....
oh, and the helmet did its job.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:48 pm

scotto wrote:my son and his friend were riding across a pedestrian crossing when his mate got hit. all are ok except the car bonnet. BMX's are solid
they shouldnt have been riding there, but had stopped before moving off. The police werent to bothered as no one was hurt, and though they should have been walking their bikes, thats not an excuse for the driver who collected my sons friend.
i was surprised to know that 14 year olds are not supposed to be riding on the footpath. Apparently its 12 and under in NSW. Thats one rule i dont care if they break for now, 14 is too young and stupid to ride on a road....

Glad to hear that your sons friend is OK

In Qld it’s fine for anyone of any age to ride a bike on the footpath. IMHO it’s not cool forcing people to ride on the road when they are 1) not ready or 2) it’s not safe. Oh, but we’re not allowed to ride across a pedestrian crossing though
2012 Oppy A4

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Sydguy wrote:This is a clear cut case.

Hint ---> "...riding a bike..."

Really hope this kid pulls up ok, another reason why the city needs to introduce a 30km/h limit for motor vehicles.

Driving like voting should require certain tests to see if the people is capable of exercising those rights. I really hope when I am 81 that there is adequate public transport. No way would I contemplate driving through the city with any of my senses dimmed.

JM
There are many 80yr + olds that are far better on the road than some of the dip sticks that are far younger. :?

The biggest problem is the mind set of teenagers (most have s***t for brains) as they don't/or couldn't give a rats for anyone else. :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:18 pm

The trouble I have with older age drivers is that there reflexes etc are not as good as they use to be.

Yes, you can say they drive fine.

But driving fine and reacting to situations is something else entirely.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 pm

scotto wrote:my son and his friend were riding across a pedestrian crossing when his mate got hit. all are ok except the car bonnet. BMX's are solid
Actually under 12. That means once he/she turns 12 he/she must ride on the road.

My son was riding quite competently on the road to and from school from about 9 years old. But we had been riding with him on the road on country and suburban tours since he was about 7 years old. Same for my daughter too.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."