Tool List and Spares

Aushiker

Re: Tool List and Spares

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Baalzamon wrote:spare garmin mount?
No Garmin Edge 800 at this point. That has gone back to Garmin Australasia. If I don't get it back in time I will probably not worry about it. The paper maps, the phone and the Cateye can easily cover what the Edge 800 does anyway.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:One other thing Andrew which you more than likely have covered is your spokes for your rear wheel make sure that you have both drive side and non drive side spoke lengths in the spare kit if there a different length.
Yep covered front, rear and trailer :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Meditator wrote:Instead of all those spanners, what about just a small shifting spanner. That's what a bike mechanic advised me to take. I bought it for $5 from woolies or something.
Does it weigh less than 100 grams? The three spanners weigh in at a whole 107 grams. Cheap tools are not something I would consider. I prefer to use quality tools as I need to rely on them. Also not that big a fan of using shifters when I can use a proper spanner that fits properly. Sure beats having a ruined nut or bolt.
Two lots of tape is overkill.
You are right ... a whole 60 grams of overkill. I had enough experience from bushwalking and the like to know that I will take the duct tape and well for 50 grams I will take the electrical tape as well. I have a couple of electrical connections that I am not 100% confident with. Fifty grams of electrical tape make me a whole lot happier.

As to your comments on India .. .. remoteness is the key difference I suspect and secondly by your own admission you had to rely on someone else to help you out ... try that in the Pilbara for example where you might see a vehicle within a day or so of breaking down let alone a cyclist.

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm

I haven't included a chain tool as I carry spare connectors. Should I carry a chain tool?
When i mentioned the chain whip, i was referring to this that you said above. I assumed you were referring to a problem with the chain, not to broken spokes. I thought it was called a chain whip. Maybe its called something else.

Re remoteness, my point is only that if your bike is in good shape, you've a very low chance of problems. But you've obviously set your mind on your current strategy. My only reason for making the suggestions i've given is because of the weight factor. I think you could just be carrying a lot of extra weight. Its only a question of weighing the risks against the costs. That's where i'm coming from in my post.

My reference to india was not about remoteness but just to say in four rugged trips this were the only instances i needed to use tape. But you've explained why you need two tapes so that's an issue particular to you. Certainly i've noticed that in my packing a lot of things weigh less than 100g. Put them together and they weigh quite a bit. But they are all essential items.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Chain whip not necessary due to Stein mini cracker it does the job itself.
Chain breaking tool necessary, you have to remove pins from broken chain still before using the link.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 pm

When i mentioned the chain whip, i was referring to this that you said above. I assumed you were referring to a problem with the chain, not to broken spokes. I thought it was called a chain whip. Maybe its called something else.
Ah okay. This is an example of a chain whip. It is used to remove the rear cluster (gears) so a spoke on the drive side can be removed/replaced.

and a photo of a chain tool was shown in the second or third post in the thread. That is for repairing a broken chain. I have mixed views on the chain tool but I am not taking a multi-tool that has one so it is probably best to take it in case I damage the chain which is a possibility on some of the off-track sections for sure; a flicked up stick and it can be all over. No chain, no riding.

I will check but still think I am better off with my tool choices over say a multi-tool and I will have only the specific tools I need and ones that are more functional to use as well.
Re remoteness, my point is only that if your bike is in good shape, you've a very low chance of problems.
I hope so :) However the risks are still there (easy to break a chain, have a fall, break a derailluer hanger, break spokes even on new wheels etc) and given the remoteness and lack of bike shops, one has to be reasonably prepared. The total weight for tools and spares is currently 1.3 kg. More than I would like but it is a balancing act. Ricky would have me over 2 kg for sure :)

Remoteness is the key here ... it will often be over a 1,000 km to a decent chance of a repair or getting parts plus I am not carrying a sat phone for example. At least with my approach hopefully I can keep going if something happens.
My reference to india was not about remoteness but just to say in four rugged trips this were the only instances i needed to use tape.

For sure, but things can happen and in India I suspect "help" is reasonably at hand. It is not so easy where I am going for a fair bit of the tour.

I try to assess the risks and have kept the tools and spares to the minium and where possible I can use them for other repairs, e.g., hose clips and spanner could hold a broken frame together as per GJ Coop's experience. Cables mean I can get going again with gears. Electrical tape could possible do the job of the duct tape in most cases but only taking 50 grams of it for odd repairs that may occur, e.g., holes in the tent that the silicone will not fix. I can replace broken spokes. Repair punctures and if the worse comes to the worse, use it hold a split rim together (see GJ Coop's experience of doing this).

Wire and cable ties, well they have paid for themselves in the pass. Without wire my Geraldton to Perth ride wouldn't have got me out of Geraldton and there was a bike shops there. Again only taking a small amount.
Certainly i've noticed that in my packing a lot of things weigh less than 100g. Put them together and they weigh quite a bit. But they are all essential items.
For sure which is why the spreadsheet calculates to two decimal places :). You should see my first aid kit; I suspect a lot of folks here would be aghast at it :). It has got less and less over time, but realistically I could use all I carry and keep going. If anything else would be needed I would be ripping up a shirt as a bangage/sling etc or it would be EPIRB time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Chain breaking tool necessary, you have to remove pins from broken chain still before using the link.
Good point. Chain tool confirmed as essential.

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:51 am

Come on Andrew 2kg is nothing it's only 700 grams more than your 1.3 kg :wink: you have seen my touring rig and that went around Australia thank your lucky stars your not hauling that. Thanks for the even laugh I needed that can't wait to read about your adventure. :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 am

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:spare garmin mount?
No Garmin Edge 800 at this point. That has gone back to Garmin Australasia. If I don't get it back in time I will probably not worry about it. The paper maps, the phone and the Cateye can easily cover what the Edge 800 does anyway.

Andrew
If you do get your Edge 800 back, no need to order a spare garmin mount, I have one hereI mistakenly ordered instead of the one for my 705 :oops:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 am

holes in the tent that the silicone will not fix
You reminded me, i got holes in my tent which i patched up with gaffa tape. It wasn't because i didn't have a ground sheet that i got these holes, it was because i left my tent peg bag at home. Some of my tent pegs have sharp corners.

Oh yeah, that's right, about the chain tool we were talking about in your picture. I'm wondering if I need it at all now, even though i've been shown how to use it (and forgotten). the thing is the only think that seemed necessary to get the cassette off that i didn't have and nor did the bike mechanics in india was the cassette tool. So now i carry that everywhere so i can change spokes. Even so, in india they were able to replace my spokes even though they couldn't get the cassette off. (This happened on my first trip when i was riding a very old bike).

nevermind, before the next trip to some remote place, i will make sure i find out how to use it and consider again.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Meditator wrote:Oh yeah, that's right, about the chain tool we were talking about in your picture. I'm wondering if I need it at all now, even though i've been shown how to use it (and forgotten). the thing is the only think that seemed necessary to get the cassette off that i didn't have and nor did the bike mechanics in india was the cassette tool. So now i carry that everywhere so i can change spokes.
Yes, the chain whip is only half the story (and the weight) - the other half is the cassette lockring tool.

But better to leave them at home and take a Stein Mini Cassette Lockring tool (as previously mentioned), which weighs but a few grams. Knowing how to use it is important, as is making sure the lockring is not excessively tight before you depart.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Super Commuter

Postby Super Commuter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Not a tool but just wondering whether you would carry a small EPIRB for a tour like this?

Only reason I ask is I used to carry them bushwalking (eg Tassie south coast track) and it certainly helped my peace of mind... but that was well off the beaten track at the time (circa 10 years ago now).

Edit: Scrub that - just saw your old thread on EPIRBs after a search. Turns out you are a fan - me too!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Super Commuter wrote:Not a tool but just wondering whether you would carry a small EPIRB for a tour like this?

Only reason I ask is I used to carry them bushwalking (eg Tassie south coast track) and it certainly helped my peace of mind... but that was well off the beaten track at the time (circa 10 years ago now).

Edit: Scrub that - just saw your old thread on EPIRBs after a search. Turns out you are a fan - me too!
Taking a Spot Messenger on this tour and will have tracking enabled as well.

Andrew

footloose

Postby footloose » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 am

Aushiker,
Take all the gear that you think you might need and although it's interesting to read others advice about what you should take, it's you that's out there.
And if and when you find that you have too much with you, well, that's what the Post Office is good at, moving all that extra stuff back home for you.
And as you are a bushwalker, perhaps when you started out you took more gear than you found yourself using for the first trip or two. But you soon learn for yourself what really is essential and what isn't and a few good trips allows one to better judge the risks of not having the kitchen sink with you.
Enjoy your trip, I traveled and worked through the North West many years ago, I'm sure that you will find it as fascinating as I did.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 am

Velcro with a buckle end has been mentioned already however I find the double-sided Velcro to be really handy.
A Fibrefix Kevlar strand replacement spoke.
Electrical tape can be used to shore up rim tape (and other things).
Instead of needle-nosed pliers why not a small Leatherman style of tool, probably lighter, packs away easier and has other functions.
Some glueless patches for those rainy days when the glue won't behave with the normal kit. Learnt that on a back road in VIC one lovely day.
Make one of those tyre levers a steel cored.

For some of the things that won't slow down your ride if broken or damaged, and that might be hard to replace on the road, perhaps leave some spare parts with someone in Perth, to be mailed to you if needed. This might be things like a replacement mirror, bidon cage, perhaps you can make a list of non critical repairs to address this. Maybe even a spare rack. You've probably already arranged for certain items to be mailed forward, what I'm talking about is the other bits that you won't be shuffling along in the mail. Maybe you could include some of the things suggested here that you won't be carrying on the trip?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:00 pm

footloose wrote:And as you are a bushwalker, perhaps when you started out you took more gear than you found yourself using for the first trip or two. But you soon learn for yourself what really is essential and what isn't and a few good trips allows one to better judge the risks of not having the kitchen sink with you.
Sure have. I still have scary memories of my first weekend pack carry and my first week long backpack. A lot of learning went on then and still does. Every trip I revisit what I took/didn't use and fine tune the list. That is pretty down pat know. It is just that this is a new adventure and a much bigger one so just seeking input in case I have overlooked things.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Velcro with a buckle end has been mentioned already however I find the double-sided Velcro to be really handy.
A Fibrefix Kevlar strand replacement spoke.
Electrical tape can be used to shore up rim tape (and other things).
All included. Like the tip re the rim tape.
Instead of needle-nosed pliers why not a small Leatherman style of tool, probably lighter, packs away easier and has other functions.
The pliers weigh in at 56 grams and I have a Swiss Army knife to cover most other aspects. I think I would probably not gain much by the Leatherman. Still another option to consider for sure.

Some glueless patches for those rainy d ... ovely day.

In the kit but will double check.
Make one of those tyre levers a steel cored.
They are Park Tool ones. Not sure if they are steel cored but that seem to work well. Might through a spare set in the kickbox just in case.
For some of the things that won't slow down your ride if broken or damaged, and that might be hard to replace on the road, perhaps leave some spare parts with someone in Perth, to be mailed to you if needed. This might be things like a replacement mirror, bidon cage, perhaps you can make a list of non critical repairs to address this. Maybe even a spare rack. You've probably already arranged for certain items to be mailed forward, what I'm talking about is the other bits that you won't be shuffling along in the mail. Maybe you could include some of the things suggested here that you won't be carrying on the trip?
Good points. Will update once I have finished packing etc to day.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:24 pm

The issue of a spare tyre ... Posting this more as a comment on what I have decided and of course to hear others thoughts.

The bike and the trailer have brand new never ridden on Schwalbe Mondial 47-622 fitted. These are the top of range Schwalbe touring tires which are the "replacements" for the Schwalbe XR so they "should be" damn good reliable tyres.

I am planning on taking a spare tyre. The big question was can I get away with a taking a used Continental Contact 700c x 37 which has done 4,272 km and has a weight of 600 grams or a new Schwalbe Mondial 42-622 28 x 1.60 which weighs in at a reported 650 grams.

Continental Contacts:

* Puncture easily
* Are worn
* Not a off-road tyre by any means
* Would be okay as an emergency trailer tyre and the trailer tyre could replace a bike tyre assuming off course that the trailer tyre was not the issue;
* Foldable.

The Schwalbe Mondial 42-622

* is only 50 grams more weight
* but and this is a big but quite a bit more bulky as tyre. Actually this may not be an issue for me as it can go on rear rack now that the Extrawheel Voyager has a rack;
* Can do the same as i can with the Continental Contact and that is fit it to the trailer and swap the trailer tyre on to the bike;
* Foldable.

My preliminary decision is to take the Schwalbe Mondial 47-622 as the spare tyre. Thoughts?

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't see anything wrong with taking a used spare either can be damaged in two secs if misfortune happens and a spare is that it gets you out of a situation. Myself I carry brand new tires until the old tires on the bike are getting past there used by date which I take the new spares I carry and place on the bike and the old become spares. The old remain spares until the bikes tires are due for replacement again then I replace spares/bike at the same time with new and start it all over again.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi Andrew,

I saw on your list some hose clamps.
Might I suggest you add say 4 100mm or so long pieces of wire cut from a wire coat hanger. They weigh little.
In conjunction with the clamps, the wire can save your bacon if you break a rack or some other such problem. Use them as splints.

John

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Or even better a couple of bits of 100mm long x 4mm steel rod. I've used a bit like this on a few occasions to resurrect other riders' racks
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Tool List and Spares

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:43 am

Hehe. So will you be taking one Extrawheel Andrew, or a b-double to carry all this stuff.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:47 am

:wink:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:43 am

RonK wrote:Hehe. So will you be taking one Extrawheel Andrew, or a b-double to carry all this stuff.
Like this? :)

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Hehe, now you're getting serious. :lol: :lol: :lol: