TDF viewing plans

Parrott

TDF viewing plans

Postby Parrott » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 pm

What's your strategy for dealing with the compulsory viewing :D that is soon to be provided by those champions at SBS?

Last year I had annual leave which meant I could watch every night live. It was fantastic.

This year however I have to work :( :cry:

I'll stay up on my days off, but those where I have work the next day I'm getting a topfield. 2 overtime night shifts to pay for it. Hopefully I can become proficient in its use very quickly.

norbs

Re: TDF viewing plans

Postby norbs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Parrott wrote:What's your strategy for dealing with the compulsory viewing :D that is soon to be provided by those champions at SBS?

Last year I had annual leave which meant I could watch every night live. It was fantastic.

This year however I have to work :( :cry:

I'll stay up on my days off, but those where I have work the next day I'm getting a topfield. 2 overtime night shifts to pay for it. Hopefully I can become proficient in its use very quickly.
Surely you have seen my guide by now. :)

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Foxtel IQ FTW

I got Foxtel in because it was only a 12 month contract. However now I’m not allowed to get rid of it :(
2012 Oppy A4

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:43 pm

I carefully review the stages to determine which ones are worth staying up for and which ones I can recorded to watch the last hour (sprint).

I also make sure no one expects me in before 1000 at work and that the family can cope with me getting home later.

Plus I have 20 hours of flex leave up my sleve

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 pm

norbs wrote: Surely you have seen my guide by now. :)
No :? where is it?

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Parrott wrote:
norbs wrote: Surely you have seen my guide by now. :)
No :? where is it?
The first one is on my blog... http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/05/nor ... australia/

And one I wrote for Ride ....http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=6400

Let me know if they are helpful.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 pm

norbs wrote: The first one is on my blog... http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/05/nor ... australia/

And one I wrote for Ride ....http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=6400

Let me know if they are helpful.

:lol: Have now, thanks :)

RonK

TDF viewing plans

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Parrot wrote: I'll stay up on my days off, but those where I have work the next day I'm getting a topfield. 2 overtime night shifts to pay for it. Hopefully I can become proficient in its use very quickly.
No problem - set up your IceTV with a keyword recording for "cycling". That's all you need to do - all the SBS cycling coverage will be recorded.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:22 pm

RonK wrote:No problem - set up your IceTV with a keyword recording for "cycling". That's all you need to do - all the SBS cycling coverage will be recorded.
Never heard of icetv before so I checked it out. It looks good thanks.

I like it that they took on ch9 and won too.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 pm

RonK wrote:
Parrot wrote: I'll stay up on my days off, but those where I have work the next day I'm getting a topfield. 2 overtime night shifts to pay for it. Hopefully I can become proficient in its use very quickly.
No problem - set up your IceTV with a keyword recording for "cycling". That's all you need to do - all the SBS cycling coverage will be recorded.

Just make sure you have loads of disc space. I was surprised last year just how much space all the stages, morning wraps and nightly summaries chewed through. It is a good service though.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Parrott wrote:What's your strategy for dealing with the compulsory viewing :D that is soon to be provided by those champions at SBS?

If memory serves so did I, and yes it was great :D

First two weeks this year are sorted, all shifts signing on 12/12.30pm mark (and all OT refused 8)) , perfect for staying up to watch the Tour. 3rd week not looking so good, all 2/3 am sign ons :shock: :x . Hopefully I'll get a swap :idea:
FPR Ragamuffin

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Chuck wrote: First two weeks this year are sorted, all shifts signing on 12/12.30pm mark (and all OT refused 8)) , perfect for staying up to watch the Tour. 3rd week not looking so good, all 2/3 am sign ons :shock: :x . Hopefully I'll get a swap :idea:
You look terrible in that photo there Chuck, I reckon I can here you coughing from here.

Don't want to spread a chest infection around at work and have everyone off on sick leave.

Only joking, well mostly, sounds like you've got it pretty sorted there :)

frodo

Postby frodo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Well this year i have annual leave - so get to watch it live

have thoughts that I would then get up in mornings feeling all motivated - hit the road and pretend I am Cadel.
Trek Domane 4.5
Giant TCR 1

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Stay up as late as I can most nights. And see how I fare ha ha!!!! Or maybe evening naps/split sleep!

Got a couple of 6am appts that I stupidly booked. But the rest I'll book for later in the morning.

I'm also in Sydney for work during the last week and on a plane back to Perth on the day of the last stage getting in just as it starts. Going to be an interrupted year. :(

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:15 am

I start work at 3.30pm this year =) I totally didn't give up any morning shifts just so I could watch the Tour...;)

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

I feel obliged to stoke the green-eyed monster.

My plan for watching the TdF is to do it live, at work, on my employer-provided intranet TV feed. They are doing the same for the euro cup finals at the moment. Their argument is that by watching their in-house feed it cuts down on the bandwidth over every one watching it from external sites. That's one enlightened employer (at least in this respect - I'll ignore anything else for the next three weeks).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:04 am

HDD recorder will be getting a work out! I'll be supporting the argyle team. :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:13 am

I just bought a PVR tuner thingy. Going set to to record all events that look like cycling and motorsport. Hours of fun...

I just can't watch all the stages live. I have to be at work early.

RonK

TDF viewing plans

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 am

jasimon wrote:I feel obliged to stoke the green-eyed monster.

My plan for watching the TdF is to do it live, at work, on my employer-provided intranet TV feed.
Sorry, but I don't envy you in the slightest being at work during the hours the live tour stages are run.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:39 am

RonK wrote:
jasimon wrote:I feel obliged to stoke the green-eyed monster.

My plan for watching the TdF is to do it live, at work, on my employer-provided intranet TV feed.
Sorry, but I don't envy you in the slightest being at work during the hours the live tour stages are run.
Not even if I point out that those hours are 0530 to 1030 (local time)? (And I won't be watching the first couple of hours)

campbellssoup

Postby campbellssoup » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 am

I'm stuck as Laos internet is very slow almost dail up speed. And I can't seem to find a channel that is showing it here either, rock and hard place. The worst thing is that I am 3 hours behind Aus so the tour will be showing a normalish time to watch. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Well I've already got my home theatre pc set to record it, but knowing me I'll be watching it until it finishes and wake up tired and won't want to commute, not the best way to train for a tour....
7 weeks out, sure I can do 200km's on weekend buuut that doesn't make up for day in day out riding.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

durilium

Postby durilium » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:23 pm

I'll watch the the stage on saturday night live but will be recording the rest on my Home Theatre Pc as i'm a postman so have to be up early and alert ;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

In fact, I just remembered I have a spare 1TB HDD in my Mac Pro computer, I have a TV Tuner as well. Might as well use that to record the broadcasts! :D

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 pm

i work regular (8-5) hours so get home reasonably early. my simple solution is -
have light meal in the evening and then go to bed early, say 8:30 pm but set the alarm to 11-ish pm.
i then wake up and watch till the end of the stage then go back to bed
if all else fails, the HDD recorder is set as a back-up ...
thankfully wife just leaves me alone during this times ...