Garmin Edge 500

sblack

Re: Garmin Edge 500

Postby sblack » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm

silkishuge wrote:
DuncanS wrote:Sounds like maybe you haven't reset after the ride. It won't appear in history until you reset, i.e. hold lap timer for 3s+
Thanks. I tried that and still could not retrieve the data. history still does not show the ride details. This is not the first time..... but I really wanted to know the data for this morning's ride. :( :(

Jon
I have made the mistake in the past of connecting before resetting. First thing to do would be to check if there is a file for the activity at all. When you connect the garmin it should show up as a drive on your PC (can't confirm what happens on a mac so this may only be relevent on a PC). If you browse that drive under Garmin there is an Activities folder. Within that are all the activity files with the format of year-month-day-hour-minute-second.fit. If the file is there you may still be in luck as it may just be missing a bit of data that Garmin Connect needs but another program doesn't. It was a while ago that I did it and I can't remember exactly what worked but make sure as well as trying Garmin Connect you try the Garmin Training Centre software (the one that get's installed on your PC) and also give strava a go. One of those worked for me.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:53 pm

My problem is solved... I get one as part of the job :D ... looks like TT frame savings can get some token pennies :lol: .

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Interesting. I just noticed some extra fields in the activity list page on Garmin Connect since the update. Don't know if they where there before and I hadn't noticed them and only have now because they're swimming based columns and I've been reading up on the 910XT or if it has something to do with the software update but the strokes field has data in it for every ride since the update but none before. It appears that it shows the total number of pedal revolutions for the ride.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Well, I spoke too soon. Went to turn on the GPS today after my morning commute and it was dead. No response from buttons, reset etc does not work. Got some faint signs of life out of it but it kept powering off at random.
Tried to reload the firmware, GPS restarted and then hung during the update process. I then got "Software Missing", now the device won't power on at all. Basically, bricked :-(
I have an updater that is supposed to resolve the "Software Missing" issue, but it assumes you can actually power the GPS up. I don't have that kind of luck, so looks like probably an RMA and sending it off. Just out of warranty too (isn't it always the case?). Can't say I wasn't warned, but I was too hopeful for the Courses feature to be fixed (it isn't!).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 am

I was planning to get one of these, but reading this and a couple of other threads I am starting to think they are a POS :? Is it the software update that kills them or are they generally fragile?

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Parrott wrote:I was planning to get one of these, but reading this and a couple of other threads I am starting to think they are a POS :? Is it the software update that kills them or are they generally fragile?
Parrott, they are fine, and great little devices, they do the job i ask and more. I am not going anywhere near the firmware update though.Tim

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:58 pm

TimW wrote:
Parrott wrote:I was planning to get one of these, but reading this and a couple of other threads I am starting to think they are a POS :? Is it the software update that kills them or are they generally fragile?
Parrott, they are fine, and great little devices, they do the job i ask and more. I am not going anywhere near the firmware update though.Tim
Thanks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:06 pm

TimW wrote:
+1 to being a great piece of kit.

+1 for avoiding the latest update atm.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Parrott wrote:
TimW wrote:
Thanks.
+1 Learnt my lesson - has just cost me $159 to replace my bricked unit. However, it is entirely possible that my firmware update and the issues I was having are pure coincidnece, since the firmware update was painless, error free and only took 3 minutes. The firmware does not explain why I couldn't even turn my Garmin on anymore though. Anyway, local Garmin support was excellent. Listened to my problem and said to me "if you think it is dead, we'll just swap it under our repair program". Basically, pay them $159 and send your old unit in. They send you a new one.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Just a quick update from my experiences with the update.

Contacted Garmin support about the screen being blank issue. Suggested a hard reset. Performed it - no difference (were we really ever expecting it to help :roll: )

I now noticed that the Heart Rate doesn't show up on the screen (either HEART RATE, or %HRR). It is recorded and showed up in the workout history though, so at least it's there... I did a ride on the weekend with my HRM and really cannot remember if the HR showed up or not, which is somewhat annoying now :? .

Will have to call Garmin again when I've more time at my disposal....

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Just a quick update from my experiences with the update.

Contacted Garmin support about the screen being blank issue. Suggested a hard reset. Performed it - no difference (were we really ever expecting it to help :roll: )

I now noticed that the Heart Rate doesn't show up on the screen (either HEART RATE, or %HRR). It is recorded and showed up in the workout history though, so at least it's there... I did a ride on the weekend with my HRM and really cannot remember if the HR showed up or not, which is somewhat annoying now :? .

Will have to call Garmin again when I've more time at my disposal....
Ok, a bit of my bad. Heart rate still shows, but %hrr, etc don't display. Maybe it's a setting issue since the hard reset (no max hr or something). Will keep playing...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:01 am

Since latest software upgarde.. new activities will not upload to computer .. PITA. Should have looked here first. Email to Garmin support now the waiting games starts.. any suggestions?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:42 am

I've since managed to downgrade the firmware to v280. All my problems have disappeared...

Happy days :mrgreen:

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:53 am

ive got the latest firmware on mine and no problems..

but i did what it said and deleted all files from the device before updating..

how many of you are having problems didnt delete the files?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 am

dale79 wrote:ive got the latest firmware on mine and no problems..

but i did what it said and deleted all files from the device before updating..

how many of you are having problems didnt delete the files?
I didn't see that - I just plugged it in and the web manager said to upgrade.

By all files, do you mean *everything* or just previous activities, etc?

bollo

Postby bollo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 pm

i didn't delete any files did the upgrade & everything was fine until today went for a ride then tried to upload it & it said one of the files didn't upload to see support :(
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I just looked at the upgrade process again. It's referring to old activities due to the processing time as part of the upgrade. I keep the list very short anyway so I don't believe it made any difference. I'm still waiting for v3.01.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Ozkaban wrote:By all files, do you mean *everything* or just previous activities, etc?
+1

please answer this so i know what to do

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:00 pm

queequeg wrote: +1 Learnt my lesson - has just cost me $159 to replace my bricked unit. However, it is entirely possible that my firmware update and the issues I was having are pure coincidnece, since the firmware update was painless, error free and only took 3 minutes. The firmware does not explain why I couldn't even turn my Garmin on anymore though. Anyway, local Garmin support was excellent. Listened to my problem and said to me "if you think it is dead, we'll just swap it under our repair program". Basically, pay them $159 and send your old unit in. They send you a new one.
So $159 plus postage per 13 months ? Do you reckon that's merchantable quality ?

Anyone contemplating buying one needs to factor in this "running cost" - or the perhaps lesser cost of dragging them off to a consumer claims tribunal to get a replacement under statutory warranty laws.

Wish I'd seen your post earlier - did Garmin support ask you to try the POWER/MENU/RESET simultaneous button press before sending it in ? (It's in the manual :) )

I only know about this trick because my Edge 500 got itself in the same unresponsive state (without any upgrades). It
also regularly corrupts files on its USB memory - have to do a chkdsk about once a month now. It also had corrupt files on its USB memory after the POWER/MENU/RESET occasion.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:By all files, do you mean *everything* or just previous activities, etc?
+1

please answer this so i know what to do
all activites and all courses..

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:08 pm

wombatK wrote:
queequeg wrote: +1 Learnt my lesson - has just cost me $159 to replace my bricked unit. However, it is entirely possible that my firmware update and the issues I was having are pure coincidnece, since the firmware update was painless, error free and only took 3 minutes. The firmware does not explain why I couldn't even turn my Garmin on anymore though. Anyway, local Garmin support was excellent. Listened to my problem and said to me "if you think it is dead, we'll just swap it under our repair program". Basically, pay them $159 and send your old unit in. They send you a new one.
So $159 plus postage per 13 months ? Do you reckon that's merchantable quality ?

Anyone contemplating buying one needs to factor in this "running cost" - or the perhaps lesser cost of dragging them off to a consumer claims tribunal to get a replacement under statutory warranty laws.

Wish I'd seen your post earlier - did Garmin support ask you to try the POWER/MENU/RESET simultaneous button press before sending it in ? (It's in the manual :) )

I only know about this trick because my Edge 500 got itself in the same unresponsive state (without any upgrades). It
also regularly corrupts files on its USB memory - have to do a chkdsk about once a month now. It also had corrupt files on its USB memory after the POWER/MENU/RESET occasion.

Cheers
Unit was completely dead. None of the buttons would do anything in any combination, no matter how long you held them for. Plugging into the computer would not do anything either. No device detected on the USB port, Garmin unit not charging. Even the Garmin Updater to reflash the device without it detecting a USB Mass Storage Device would not find the Unit.

The $159 swap is a bit steep considering the exact same service in the USA is $89. Still, it's cheaper than a whole new head unit.

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:08 pm

How how [/how do you reset to earliest version?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:14 pm

lgbran wrote:How do you reset to earliest version?
I Google "downgrade Garmin 500 firmware 2.80" and found a couple of references to it in the Garmin forums. Someone has uploaded the old firmware to a Google docs account. Worked a treat.

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:25 pm

2.8 seems to do everything the unit needs... don't think I will be upgrading mine anytime soon :)
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:41 am

hosko wrote:2.8 seems to do everything the unit needs... don't think I will be upgrading mine anytime soon :)
mine is still under warranty so I don't have much to lose....