Gulf Oil Porsche 917 inspired fixie

vaeske

Re: Gulf Oil Porsche 917 inspired fixie

Postby vaeske » Thu May 31, 2012 7:06 am

good job dude, maybe try an aero seat post? that could help.

timmytrouble

Postby timmytrouble » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 am

Wow, thanks again everyone. I'd trawled the net for about a month before I sketched up my thoughts on how I would tackle the scheme and what sort of frame I would use. The whole project ended up turning out exactly how I'd envisaged it which I'm pretty proud of.

lucky7 wrote:That is hands-down the best bike I have ever seen. Do you take commission work??

Is that the VISP Windwing frame?
Thanks Lucky7. This is the first bike I've ever sprayed/built (however I've been a hobby modeller ever since I was a kid) and while the paint job looks nice and clean it's not "off the shelf" quality as its hard to get the paint and clear coat to cure to the same hardness a professional painter gets when they bake it in an oven. That being said its hard enough to withstand most knocks but once you hit it with a hard edge, the paint chips right off. So for that reason I haven't thought about commission work purely because I wasn't 100% satisfied with this job. If you had something in mind, I'd be more than happy to talk with you about it.

The frame is the VISP TRX999.
Sydguy wrote:Hi

Bike looks awesome - can't fault it at all!

Did you keep track of the $ in the build?
Thanks Sydguy. I've got all the parts and $ recorded in a spreadsheet on my PC at home. It far exceeded what I was hoping to spend from the outset however there were a couple of big ticket items that I wouldn't settle for less on that knocked the budget out. These were the aerospokes ($900/pair), the paul component crankset ($250 + shipping) and the thomson stem + seatpost (~$170). I can PM the full list if you'd like.
vaeske wrote:good job dude, maybe try an aero seat post? that could help.
Thanks Vaeske. I tried finding aero seat posts for ages but I'm only a short bloke and its hard finding aeros with a short enough "aero shaft" that doesn't stack the seat too high given the seat tube already pops pretty high off the frame.

devilishdesigner

Postby devilishdesigner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 am

love it, Gulf colours suit the bike beautifully
Suus: Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm

If you truly want to go 'there'....
http://www.champ-sys.com.au/store/champ ... ersey.html
Matching Bib Knicks too.

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:00 am

that's an amazing looking bike, congrats on your effort!!!

hewey

Postby hewey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Ive seen a bunch of different Gulf inspired builds, and this definitely one of the nicest - nice work :mrgreen:

Signal7

Postby Signal7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 am

I'm from the states & stumbled across pictures of this bike on tumblr... It stopped me in my tracks. This is the nicest fixie I have ever seen... maybe even best bike. I would kill kittens with a blowtorch for this bike. You have me so amped to get ordering parts for a build. I was going to order a 2012 Specialized Langster Pro but am going to nix that to build something as awesome as this!

I only joined the forum because of this bike. Jeez, it's a fantastic bike.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:45 am

Signal7 wrote:I'm from the states & stumbled across pictures of this bike on tumblr... It stopped me in my tracks. This is the nicest fixie I have ever seen... maybe even best bike. I would kill kittens with a blowtorch for this bike. You have me so amped to get ordering parts for a build. I was going to order a 2012 Specialized Langster Pro but am going to nix that to build something as awesome as this!

I only joined the forum because of this bike. Jeez, it's a fantastic bike.

Haha well said

It really is a superb build

cobba

Postby cobba » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Looks like someone at Specialized likes that colour combo too.