Samford Wardell Intersection Upgrade

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 pm

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name ... rdell.aspx

The new plans for the intersection upgrade have been released. They show bikelanes but not the best, as they are still only plans something can still be done to improve them.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Max

Postby Max » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 pm

I couldn't see any pictures (maybe due to my iPad), just a brief written synopsis. I drive down Samford Rd and Wardell St every day. Unless they reclaim parts of the footpath, I can't see any meaningful bike lanes being introduced anywhere except at the intersections. And really, what's the point of a "bike lane" that exists for ten metres or so before disappearing? The barrier here is the width of the road. There's only so much to work with, without widening the whole thing. I would never ride on Wardell St. I value life too much.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Samford Wardell Intersection Upgrade

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Here yer go Max...LINK to PDF

Better than nothing, just.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Max wrote: I would never ride on Wardell St. I value life too much.
I agree ;)
in fact when living in Enogerra a few years ago I don't remember seeing a single cyclist on the road..

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 am

I have to say personally I have never seen anyone riding along Wardell st but I have seen people riding along Samford Rd. Yes both roads are fast and narrow but we can dream that there may be better provisions one day. What I am most disappointed with is the fact that Wardell st has no lanes at the intersection what so ever. Then there is the fact that the bike stop lines on Samford rd finish exactly at the same line as the general traffic.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

heanous

Postby heanous » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Wardell's a bit of mess after this weeks rain, I think once the resurfacing has been done it wont be too much worse than coming in on Waterworks, prob a bit busier if anything.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Wardell St is pretty rubbish - terrible surface, narrow lanes, not a lot of fun when I've ridden it. Bombing down the hill inbound is good fun though, and it's not too bad from there on. The section from Samford rd. up to the top of the hill is definitely un-fun. Going the other way up the hill is probably even worse. I wouldn't ride it in peak hour, and it's certainly not my preferred route even on a weekend.

Looking at that pdf those are going to be some skinny arse bikelanes... of a totally un-useful length. Are the "concrete paths" meant to be shared paths?