question about what to eat 30 min before rides

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
kingoftheroad

Postby kingoftheroad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I wake up at 5 to go for a 50km ride every week and I normally drink Up and Go and have an apple. Is that enough? and what do bring on the ride?
"It never gets easier. You just go faster." – Greg LeMond

DoogleDave

Re: question about what to eat 30 min before rides

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm

I would suggest you have a large and decent meal the evening prior (so when you wake your Glycogen stores are nice and full)...along with plenty of water (you should need to get up at least once during the night to go for number one's)
Then a reasonable breakfast cereal for breaky with plenty of carbs (oats or similar)...and more water/fluids
On the ride I would take a muesli bar or banana (or both) and a large bottle of water (or two if you can, depending on weather conditions/how hard you're riding etc).

From what I have read, the idea is to make sure your body is fuelled up the night before and then topped up at breakfast time so your energy stores are at max levels.
Then as you ride, every 30mins or so keep eating and drinking to continually replenish the fuel tank.
On average, most people have about 90-120mins of energy stores and after that time if you havent replenished yourself then you'll know it (and feel it).

You could probably ride 50km's without refuelling along the way (as long as you have sufficiently filled your tank prior to the ride), but it is a good habit to get into and as the length of your rides get longer, your eating and drinking will be what keeps you going and stops you from bonking (hitting that energy wall - where you have none left).

The longer your rides are (and/or the more strenuous they are), the more food and drink you will need to take with you. How much you need you will find out after a few rides, as we are all different.

Hope this helps...
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

kingoftheroad

Postby kingoftheroad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:24 pm

It did. Thanks alot, I'll eat more on the night before hand.
"It never gets easier. You just go faster." – Greg LeMond

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the advice Dave! I stupidly skipped breakfast thinking I could do the fasted ride thing but ended up dropping to the floor!

Next time I'm taking a banana, muesli bar and some energy gels as well as eating some Weetbix in the morning.

Is pasta the best thing to eat the night before?

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm

I'd recommend checking out some of "joe Friel's" tips on nutrition.

In the DVD "the science of triathlons" he gives some great info on the best foods to eat the night before and just before endurance events. Pasta/rice/bread is not as good as you may think.. sweet potato is a goodie :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 pm

For a 50km ride? You don't need to eat anything before a mere 50km ride. Do that before breakfast - it gives you an appetitite. All you need is a dingo's breakfast...

Sorry mods, hope this isn't too risque... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 am

You shouldn't need to much for a 50k ride.. Try some belvita biscuits for some slow release

For my 70-100k rides I usually have a good meal the night before and 6 wheatbix or Quaker oats and take a gel/bar (for 100k)

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Rode my longest ride ever today, 155km. Didn't take enough food with me though (two musli bars and some sports drink), managed to survive until lunch where I had a massive plate of all-day breakfast and stocked up on chocolate bars which got me the rest of the way home. Next time I'll be taking more energy-dense food with me if I'll be doing a ride that long (with more than 2 vertical km :S).

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:17 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Rode my longest ride ever today, 155km. Didn't take enough food with me though (two musli bars and some sports drink), managed to survive until lunch where I had a massive plate of all-day breakfast and stocked up on chocolate bars which got me the rest of the way home. Next time I'll be taking more energy-dense food with me if I'll be doing a ride that long (with more than 2 vertical km :S).
Considering on your 155km ride you likely burnt well over twice your daily calorie intake its no surprise that a couple of muesli bars and a a sports drink weren't enough.

I've noticed even if I eat that little on an 80km ride I notice my energy levels waining....let alone twice the difference (though everyone is different I guess).

Great effort in any case. I look forward to getting a 150km ride into my legs before too long!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 am

Most days I ride 45km to work (this is also my training ride, so usually with intervals), I do not consider I need to eat anything special, normal breakfast is a couple of pieces of raisin toast (r a bagel) with cream cheese (or a bagel I am americanized at breakfast), a glass of fruit juice & a short black. On days I feel extra hungry I eat a banana.

Before a race (also around 45km most weeks) and only a race, i stick to the David Millar fuelling principle of a Snickers (or similar bar) and a can of coke. Lots of sugary goodness with in readily converted into fuel.

For me, anything under 150km, I don't plan for or eat for, my body copes quiet well with a bidon of water (in winter, in summer bidon of water + bidon of sports drink often replenished) and a mid ride coffee and muffin, if available.

The night before a race, I make sure I have plenty of carbs, but in generally my diet is carb heavy.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:25 pm

kingoftheroad wrote:I wake up at 5 to go for a 50km ride every week and I normally drink Up and Go and have an apple. Is that enough? and what do bring on the ride?
Perhaps think about swapping the apple for a bananna

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:43 pm

.....only 50kms? First thing in the morning?
2 ibuprofen and a glass of coke !! :mrgreen:
(..er, cola, that is ... :wink:)
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Cadel

Postby Cadel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Banana + Carman's muesli bar + coffee for me, but that's for a 25-30km ride, not 50 8)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Actually, you aren't supposed to eat in the hour before a session (preferably two), unless it's in the last 10 minutes before you head off. This is to avoid the mild hypoglycemia that accompanies the insulin spike from eating.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I eat a normal breakfast before 40-100k rides.
2-3 glasses of water, 1/2 cup of raw oats (or 2 weetbix) and 1/2 cup of berries, instant coffee.

I can usually ride 60km without eating, just drinking a bidon /hr of electrolyte with a little cordial and salts.
90-100k, I need a piece of fruit and/or muesli bar.
100+km with hills, I have an extra 1-2 cups starch the night before, 3/4-1 cup of oats, and every hour I eat a piece of fruit or half a muesli bar or similar. Usually we stop for coffee during the ride, as there's usually hills and we're talking 4+ hours in the saddle.

As you do more 50+km rides, you'll up your glycogen stores, and get by without eating as much.

It's more important to start well hydrated and stay that way. Your body stores extra energy, but it doesn't store extra water.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 am

when I go for my 10km runs during the week I do it straight from bed, a glass of water and thats it

for my usual saturday ride which is 62km I have 2 pieces of jam toast before I go plus water. I usually use about 1.5l of water during the ride but thats it.

When I do an 80km plus ride, especially when I include some climbing i have the toast before I leave but I ensure I have something to eat every 45 to 60 min, be that a gel, banana, sandwich or museli bar.

I have found that by following that routine I still have energy to complete 145km (furthest to date) and hopefully beyond (I have signed up for the 250km ABD)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 pm

For my morning rides I'll have a small bowl of porridge for breakfast. On the bike I take some energy chews (i.e. lollies) to eat on the bike.

If I'm going for a longer ride (i.e. >70 km) I'll have a Powerbar after the porridge which I'll slowly munch on the beginning of the ride.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0