where are your gear changers located on your Handlebars?

jemo27

where are your gear changers located on your Handlebars?

Postby jemo27 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:57 pm

I was looking at the Surly Long Haul Trucker and where you change your gears is located at the ends of the handle bars. not sure of the technical terms but the handle bar is curved so that where you change gears is at the lowest point on the handle bars.

when I tried the Surly Long Haul Trucker, I found I was reaching down to change gears, which was uncomforable compared to a straight handel bars like on MTBs. I was cycling on a flat road, not sure how it would feel having to change gears while climbing.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker/

what type of handlebars do you use while touring and where are your gear changer located?

I have a MTB with a straight handlebars where the gear changers are located next to where I hold on to the bike and the brakes are near where I change gears.

RonK

Re: where are your gear changers located on your Handlebars?

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:59 pm

jemo27 wrote:I was looking at the Surly Long Haul Trucker and where you change your gears is located at the ends of the handle bars. not sure of the technical terms but the handle bar is curved so that where you change gears is at the lowest point on the handle bars.

when I tried the Surly Long Haul Trucker, I found I was reaching down to change gears, which was uncomforable compared to a straight handel bars like on MTBs. I was cycling on a flat road, not sure how it would feel having to change gears while climbing.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker/

what type of handlebars do you use while touring and where are your gear changer located?

I have a MTB with a straight handlebars where the gear changers are located next to where I hold on to the bike and the brakes are near where I change gears.
Many drop bar users (none the least, those who consider themselves touring purists) tend to favour bar-end shifters. I though they were not at all ergonomic and mounted them on Paul Thumbies on the top of the bars of my first touring bike. My next drop bar touring bike I built with Shimano STI, and my latest build has flat bars and a Rohloff twist grip shifter (which I also don't like much). I'm waiting for a good Rohloff trigger shifter to emerge then I'll give it the flick.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 pm

I think they use bar end shifters on the Surly for durability. You're right, they're not for everyone.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 pm

I have bar-end shifters on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. It is a touring bike after all so it does not bother me.

Andrew

trimike

Postby trimike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:11 pm

I also ride a Long Haul Trucker with the gears at the end of the bars. You do get used to them after a while and seem to work just fine. i don't find them a problem.

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:37 pm

I built up a new Surly LHT last year with Shimano 9-speed down tube (DT) shifters, a bit more of a reach than bar end shifters. I also have DT shifters on my old touring bike (9-speed) and my utility bike (7-speed), though I also have 4 road bikes with Campagnolo 'Ergopower' shift/brake levers. Reaching down to change is not a problem - you get used to it, such that it becomes second nature, though like everyone else back in the day I was using DT shifters before STI & Ergopower were invented. But during the 80s I did have a bike with friction shifters mounted near the stem.

Greg

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:51 pm

how do you find it when you are climbing?

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:48 pm

jemo27 wrote:how do you find it when you are climbing?
No problem. Just sit back down in the saddle if I'm not already. Back off the pressure on the pedals a bit, and change gear. The way its meant to be done on any bike; STI, downtube, trigger or bar-end shifters.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 pm

jemo27 wrote:how do you find it when you are climbing?
Just stay on the hoods & use your knees.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 am

I use Shimano 6700 series STI shifters on my LHT. (I wanted brifters with all cables hidden under the handlebar tape)
When fully loaded on tour I shift at least 10 times on every hill 8)
I keep my candance at 85 99.9% of the time.
Biggest problem I have with STI shifters is getting them to work right with cantilever brakes.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium